Around the NHL XXXVII: "Playoffs" in French is "Séries Éliminatoires"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Don't feel too bad for the Hawks. The way the Hossa and Keith contracts are structured artificially lower their cap hits by ~2-3 million each. They're very lucky to have signed those before the latest CBA, as they would be completely illegal now.

Exactly. ZERO PITY

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
When exactly did the NHL decide to **** with the old playoff scheduling? This is embarassing and unfair actually. 3 games in 4 days, we had that too. A series used to be simple one day game, one day off, one day game, one day off ...

Why mess with a prefect system? :cry:

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
949c38558eb7dda57eaa77e6fc61baff.jpg

hahahaha!!

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Does anyone know if the Blues are invested into analytics? Doesn't seem like it the way Hitchcock has used Tarasenko. Was just discussing analytics with Blues fans and they seems a bit bewildered by them haha

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Does anyone know if the Blues are invested into analytics? Doesn't seem like it the way Hitchcock has used Tarasenko. Was just discussing analytics with Blues fans and they seems a bit bewildered by them haha

Not sure about analytics, but Hitchcock did address his management of Tarasenko's ice time in case you're interested in his explanation.

“When you view a player ... knowledgeable hockey people don’t look at time, they look at shifts, and shifts matter,†Hitchcock said. “He plays a short-ice game with short shifts and that’s impacts his energy. He’s a big body that plays a lot, he gets leaned on, he leans on a lot of people. It’s very wearing.

“The game he plays is a physical game: it’s at the puck, it’s around the puck, it’s one on one and it’s very demanding. He’s not going to be a 48, 49-second hockey player, not and be effective. He’s a guy that has to play in short bursts and that’s what he does. He plays great in short bursts so his energy stays high.â€

In Game 6, Tarasenko played 27 shifts for 16:56 of ice time, an average of 37 seconds per shift. By comparison, Chicago’s Patrick Kane played 26 shifts for a total of 22:02, an average of 50 seconds per shift.

“If you looked at it and you had 50 seconds (on each shift), instead of 33, well that’s a 23-minute player,†Hitchcock said. “But he’s not able to play that way, maybe at (age) 28 or 29 he can play that way. But he’s a young guy who plays a big man’s game that’s physically demanding, especially at this time of the year. I had him 11 or 12 shifts in the third period. You just can’t put a guy out on the ice any more than that. He’s a short-shift guy, so you’ve just got to live with it.â€

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_3ce4700f-0e24-5fda-887c-72f9f5bbc558.html

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
it was going to catch up to them eventually. Panarin ended up bosting them almsot $4M.. that's crazy.

Wonder who the next round of cap casualties are

Shaw will be gone this offseason so he will be casualties #1

Next offseason it will depend on what contract Panarin gets

Don't feel too bad for the Hawks. The way the Hossa and Keith contracts are structured artificially lower their cap hits by ~2-3 million each. They're very lucky to have signed those before the latest CBA, as they would be completely illegal now.

Keith deal doesn't have those tacked on years like Hossa and others so I wouldn't consider it a cap circumventing deal

Its not unreasonable to think Keith will play out his contract as age it goes to isn't outlandish and his style of play should benefit him for a longer career then typical defender

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Duncan Keith, as unlikable a person he is, is an absolute machine.

He'll be like 38 and still playing 30 minutes a game

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Shaw will be gone this offseason so he will be casualties #1

Next offseason it will depend on what contract Panarin gets

Keith deal doesn't have those tacked on years like Hossa and others so I wouldn't consider it a cap circumventing deal

Its not unreasonable to think Keith will play out his contract as age it goes to isn't outlandish and his style of play should benefit him for a longer career then typical defender

Keith's contract would be illegal under the current CBA not just because of its length, but also due to variance between his highest earning year (7.5 million) and lowest year (1.5 million).

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/duncan-keith/

Under the CBA, the max variance between the lowest and highest year cannot exceed 50%. Which means that if his highest year is 7.5, his lowest year cannot be less than 3.75. In fact, he has four years under 3.75, all of which are at the end of his contract and exceed the 8 year mark.

Last edited:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Tampa's speed advantage is so apparent. I think a series between them and the Pens would be fun to watch. Hoping that's what we get!

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I wish I could root for the Islanders if for nothing else than the jinx factor. Every team I root for loses. Tampa looks like hot garbage right now.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Shane Prince? All I knew about him was that he's some random young forward in Ottawa. All of a sudden, he gets moved to a new team and becomes pretty important. Alan Quine? Who? I think I had seen his name in NHL 16 somewhere.

Our pro scouting should stop focusing their attention to over-the-hill veterans and start focusing on some young kids on the verge of breaking out. No, not Emerson Etem.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Shane Prince? All I knew about him was that he's some random young forward in Ottawa. All of a sudden, he gets moved to a new team and becomes pretty important. Alan Quine? Who? I think I had seen his name in NHL 16 somewhere.

Our pro scouting should stop focusing their attention to over-the-hill veterans and start focusing on some young kids on the verge of breaking out. No, not Emerson Etem.

What pro scouting? They might as well have hired some homeless people who have never heard of hockey.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Your welcome Islanders.. Rangers just had to beat Detroit and give the Islanders a free trip to the ECF.

The Rangers might not have beaten the Panthers, but the Islanders definitely wouldn't have beaten the Penguins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad