Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
My dude, I don't know what to say other than if you think that Travis Konecny isn't struggling with turnovers or devensive play, then you're watching the wrong Konecny.

I mean, curing an offensive winger's defensive shortcomings is completely doable, and he certainly has the kind of motivated personality that can push him to do so, but to say he isn't struggling defensively at the NHL level right now can only be attributed to ignorance. There's just no possible way you can come to any other conclusion.

You either aren't watching him play, or are blinded by some kind of bias that is preventing you from seeing what he is, right now, as a player. There's no other explanation.

You're allowed to like Konecny and still be honest about where he is along his professional development line. You're allowed to get excited about a young player's potential and skill and still be open about his flaws. This "I like player x and how dare anyone ever criticize him" attitude around these boards (and let's be honest, most fanbases in general) gets a little old after a while.

You called Konecny one of the very worst defensive players in all of hockey, and I disagreed, saying that I don't think he's quite that bad. I provided some stats and some of Konecny's history with coach Jeff Brown. In response, you call me ignorant, accuse me of not watching him play and/or having a bias that blinds me to how bad Konecny really is defensively. Wow. There's a reason I don't post very often I guess. I mean someone else a few posts up agreed with me that he's not as bad as you make him out to be, but he/she must just be an ignoramus, too, and there can't possibly be any other explanation to it!

Anyway, particularly in the last few months Konecny has improved in a lot of ways, defensively included. He's been given additional minutes and responsibilities because of these improvements. A year ago he started in the defensive zone just over 44% of the time but this year he's at over 51%. While he still struggles at times defensively [he had a bad turnover yesterday, for example], he's by no means one off the very worst in the whole NHL. His giveaway number isn't high, and as mentioned before, the amount of goals against when he's on the ice isn't high, either. His work ethic and effort level are top notch and he's an intelligent player so it's not surprising to see him improve as he has with the defensive side of the game. I don't think it's a big negative to his game at this point the way you make it seem, especially since he's a winger so the defensive responsibility is not near as high as d-men and centres.

While you're accusing me of having a bias towards Konecny, I could just as easily argue that it is you who has the bias, against Konecny. You don't seem to like people complaining that he wasn't drafted by the Sens, or questioning out loud whether White will be more than a 3rd line player. In my opinion, those comments are completely reasonable with this being a hockey forum and all.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Konecny is one of the hardest working player you will find out there. It's often the notion that very skilled players are bad defensively but it's not the case with Konecny and has literally never been. He works hard in all 3 zones, he's backchecking, playing physical and doesn't shy away from the dirty areas. Major concern with him has never been defenive play, but the fact that he plays so hard all over the ice while having a relatively small frame.

Since he's joined the league he hasn't been bad defensively either, not more than what you would reasonnably expect out of a rookie. I'm not sure why it is even being discussed that he's bad defensively, it's just not the case.

You could single out just about any good rookie and look at their game and you'll see the same common mistakes happen. That doesn't mean they are bad defensively, they are learning. Now I wouldn't say the same if Konecny had history of being a bad player defensively or if he didn't give his best but it's again not the case.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Just fyi, I've stated this before about a year ago, but Tavares really does want to play in Toronto from what I've been told.

And ya its a "I know this guy who dates blah blah sister " etc.

( Its actually a work acquaintance who i occasionally see, his sister is best friends with Tavares girl, and that's how he mostly hears stuff. )

But its what I've heard. Hopefully it isn't true though

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Just fyi, I've stated this before about a year ago, but Tavares really does want to play in Toronto from what I've been told.

( Its actually a work acquaintance who i occasionally see, his sister is best friends with Tavares girl, and that's how he mostly hears stuff. )

He can want to sign there, but if teams are offering him 100 million over 7 years, and Toronto can't match that number long term, that choice probably becomes harder to make.

Stamkos was apparently being offered 12 by Buffalo under a much smaller cap than we'll have. So, I would not be surprised to see someone offer Tavares something absolutely nutty.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Vancouver could literally offer 14 million to JT next season and it have virtually zero effect on their cap situation because the Sedin's are coming off the books.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He can want to sign there, but if teams are offering him 100 million over 7 years, and Toronto can't match that number long term, that choice probably becomes harder to make.

Stamkos was apparently being offered 12 by Buffalo under a much smaller cap than we'll have. So, I would not be surprised to see someone offer Tavares something absolutely nutty.

You're right, other teams could offer way more money , Tavares from what I hear is very situation dependent.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Jets have some pretty impressive young guns

playing game 80 tonight
Kyle Connor 21 , 29 goals
Nikolaj Ehlers 22, 29 goals
Patrik Laine 19, 44 goals

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Jets have some pretty impressive young guns

playing game 80 tonight
Kyle Connor 21 , 29 goals
Nikolaj Ehlers 22, 29 goals
Patrik Laine 19, 44 goals

Unfortunately for the Jets, they are going to have sign those players to some massive deals.

I don't think this roster's window will be open very long.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tampa up 3-0 on Boston... its good for the Sens because it increases the likelihood of the Bruins wanting to get the W on Saturday to finish 1st in the East

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Eh, I'm fine if Toronto wants to spend $10-11mil/year for 7 years on a center they don't really need and in doing so keep ignoring their blueline, which is where they really need to spend their extra dollars, while having Tavares eat up money they'll need to re-sign their kids once they get to the "we don't believe in bridge contracts anymore, pay up" stage of their careers.

I mean, Tavares is a great player and all, and he makes that forward corps a nightmare, but it's certainly not a worst-case scenario for us.

Reactions: maclean

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jackets just tied up the game on a PP drawn by Atkinson flopping around non-stop. Two dives in the same play and the refs bit on the second one.

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention, the goal was a real beauty by Panarin. It will be on the highlights

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Jackets just tied up the game on a PP drawn by Atkinson flopping around non-stop. Two dives in the same play and the refs bit on the second one.

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention, the goal was a real beauty by Panarin. It will be on the highlights
In OT wings get at least 1 Sens can't catch them if that was a worry

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Habs are making a game of it vs the Jets. Only down by a goal now.

While we're on the subject of the Habs: Paul Byron now has back-to-back 20 goal seasons. Great little career he's earned for himself, dislike the Habs obviously but you can't help but like stories like his.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Habs are making a game of it vs the Jets. Only down by a goal now.

While we're on the subject of the Habs: Paul Byron now has back-to-back 20 goal seasons. Great little career he's earned for himself, dislike the Habs obviously but you can't help but like stories like his.

Byron is like their Dzingel. Good little player. Quite the persistence in his career.
Habs just tied it... didn't last long :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Habs tied it AGAIN, going to OT, so they're guaranteed at least one point.]

The minimum one point tonight puts them at 69pts for the year, vs our 65. Assuming we don't take 5 out of 6 possible points in our final three games, that should put them fairly out of reach for us to catch up to.

With the Coyotes being up by 2 already, if they can get 2 points tonight and get to 69 points as well, that's a big buffer for us in the standings.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Aren't all teams trying to have the same problem.. IE have their young players produce at that kind of level. It's always a problem in a cap (self imposed or not) trying to keep all your good players

It certainly is but I think the Jets are going to have a lot of trouble.

Toronto is also going to have to deal with it but they have the cash that their main worry is going to be "who do we keep?" while Winnipeg (and us) think "who can we afford?"

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Habs tied it AGAIN, going to OT, so they're guaranteed at least one point.]

The minimum one point tonight puts them at 69pts for the year, vs our 65. Assuming we don't take 5 out of 6 possible points in our final three games, that should put them fairly out of reach for us to catch up to.

With the Coyotes being up by 2 already, if they can get 2 points tonight and get to 69 points as well, that's a big buffer for us in the standings.

If the yotes win at 69 pts ... If the Sens get 4 pts in their remaining 3 games Yotes have the tie breaker and will finish ahead. Pretty safe bet we finish no higher than 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad