NHL Around the NHL XXVII - 2020-21 Off-Season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The sheer amount of interference TB does behind the play without getting called is stupefying. Not talking about slight interference, but hauling men down. Dallas should have had a long 5 on 3 but somehow a plain as day high sticking was missed. Really poor reffing tonight. One team getting away with tons of stuff while the other held to a different standard. Same shit refs recycled every Cup finals. Same vibe as last year's finals. Despite all of that Dallas still only lost by one goal. Hopefully things aren't as managed next game and the teams are held to the same standard. Not holding my breath on that one. In any case, these are two excellent teams playing hard-nosed hockey. Exciting stuff to watch.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Best looking Domino's Pizza I have ever seen

120019020_10222100397911674_220043574613823493_n.jpg

Looking like we will be here for at least another week.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Strong speculation that Seguin is playing with a blown knee and reports he couldn't feel one of his arms at one point.

If Seguin's condition is really that bad then he probably shouldn't be playing. Maybe Faksa being injured ties the Stars' hands a bit but there comes a point even for a guy as talented as Seguin that it's better than he's not on the ice at all.

Hard to know how much credence to give the rumours though. Fact is Seguin is a very good hockey player but he's never really been a big game guy. With one or two isolated exceptions he just doesn't seem to have that extra gear to take his play to the next level when it really counts, and for that reason I think he's the only Star who's slightly overpaid. So while I wouldn't be surprised if he's injured, his performance on the ice looks pretty much standard for the postseason - he's digging in, contributing where he can, but there's nothing spectacular about what he's doing. Basically I don't need an injury to explain what I'm seeing, even if he could well be.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If Seguin's condition is really that bad then he probably shouldn't be playing. Maybe Faksa being injured ties the Stars' hands a bit but there comes a point even for a guy as talented as Seguin that it's better than he's not on the ice at all.

Hard to know how much credence to give the rumours though. Fact is Seguin is a very good hockey player but he's never really been a big game guy. With one or two isolated exceptions he just doesn't seem to have that extra gear to take his play to the next level when it really counts, and for that reason I think he's the only Star who's slightly overpaid. So while I wouldn't be surprised if he's injured, his performance on the ice looks pretty much standard for the postseason - he's digging in, contributing where he can, but there's nothing spectacular about what he's doing. Basically I don't need an injury to explain what I'm seeing, even if he could well be.

He's still drawing attention even if hes injured. Plenty of Dallas fans also saying he just doesn't physically look right out on the ice.

I guess we will see after the playoffs are over.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's still drawing attention even if hes injured. Plenty of Dallas fans also saying he just doesn't physically look right out on the ice.

He is certainly off in some way- does not look like the Tyler Seguin that we normally see. I don't know how much you've had a chance to watch him in Dallas, but I have seen a lot of him over the past few years and there is definitely a step missing and the reaction/quickness is off with him. I would not be surprised to hear he had a bad knee or something similar.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Little late to respond due to Tropical Storm Beta. So far, so good, but far from out of the woods.

Dallas had complete lapses in the third period of Game 1 and the first period of Game 2. They did show some pushback but I was starting to have flashbacks of the last two Boston/Tampa series, in which the B's won the opener then lost 4 straight.

Kucherov is the boy who cried wolf. He takes a hit, falls to the ice in mortal agony, and instantly looks to the ref. When no call is made he skates back into the play with no problem, then makes sure his next embellishment is exaggerated enough to get the call. Don't see why he doesn't get an embellishment minor with those calls.

Eddie O was suggesting the Stars pull Khudobin. I get not letting the opponent run up the score on your 1G, but those goals weren't totally on him.

Radulov needs to shoot instead of pass. Tampa's defense is tight, and those highlight reel passes are seldom there.

The playoffs are a battle of attrition. If Comeau is out, along with Faksa, that's some solid shut down minutes Dallas is missing.

Loved Gourde pretending to go after Oleksiak. He knew exactly where the linesman was to save him.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Little late to respond due to Tropical Storm Beta. So far, so good, but far from out of the woods.

Dallas had complete lapses in the third period of Game 1 and the first period of Game 2. They did show some pushback but I was starting to have flashbacks of the last two Boston/Tampa series, in which the B's won the opener then lost 4 straight.

Kucherov is the boy who cried wolf. He takes a hit, falls to the ice in mortal agony, and instantly looks to the ref. When no call is made he skates back into the play with no problem, then makes sure his next embellishment is exaggerated enough to get the call. Don't see why he doesn't get an embellishment minor with those calls.

Eddie O was suggesting the Stars pull Khudobin. I get not letting the opponent run up the score on your 1G, but those goals weren't totally on him.

Radulov needs to shoot instead of pass. Tampa's defense is tight, and those highlight reel passes are seldom there.

The playoffs are a battle of attrition. If Comeau is out, along with Faksa, that's some solid shut down minutes Dallas is missing.

Loved Gourde pretending to go after Oleksiak. He knew exactly where the linesman was to save him.

Kucherov is detestable. Eddie O. can suck it. Gourde is a douchebag and so is Paquette. Maroon is a POS. Stars will be okay if they can stay focused. They almost came back last night and it is kind of amazing that they didn't tie it up. When they are going, Tampa can't deal with them- the Bolts are talented enough to make teams pay for mistakes and lapses. Kind of like with the Bruins, if the Stars had come back to win last night, they would have broken the Bolts. Those guys are shaky when things aren't going their way.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

He is certainly off in some way- does not look like the Tyler Seguin that we normally see. I don't know how much you've had a chance to watch him in Dallas, but I have seen a lot of him over the past few years and there is definitely a step missing and the reaction/quickness is off with him. I would not be surprised to hear he had a bad knee or something similar.

He does have a history of knee injuries so he may well have aggravated something again. Faksa has been declared still unfit for game 3, so they're feeling it in the centers at the moment.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Lightning look like they're emulating the Blues of last year. I hope it doesn't work. f*** every player on that team.

The problem is that it DOES work. Dallas will push back more than the Bruins did against the cheap stuff, the dirty hits and the nonsense after whistles, but Tampa have gotten very good at sneaky holds, interference and working over the refs to draw penalties, and I can't see the Stars wanting to emulate it or get into a war on that front, and nor should they.

Trouble is that the league and officiating still reward teams that take their 'game management' seriously, and until the refs decide they don't want to be played for fools anymore it will only continue. That said, we're nowhere near the level of the 2019 finals yet in that regard, and I don't think we'll get there. The Blues had the dirty, snarly side of their game down to an art form, whereas most of the Bolts are just pretenders who are doing what they think is necessary. They're more talented that St Louis were, but I still there's a mental fragility there that's just waiting to be laid bare if the Stars keep taking it to them.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
The problem is that it DOES work. Dallas will push back more than the Bruins did against the cheap stuff, the dirty hits and the nonsense after whistles, but Tampa have gotten very good at sneaky holds, interference and working over the refs to draw penalties, and I can't see the Stars wanting to emulate it or get into a war on that front, and nor should they.

Trouble is that the league and officiating still reward teams that take their 'game management' seriously, and until the refs decide they don't want to be played for fools anymore it will only continue. That said, we're nowhere near the level of the 2019 finals yet in that regard, and I don't think we'll get there. The Blues had the dirty, snarly side of their game down to an art form, whereas most of the Bolts are just pretenders who are doing what they think is necessary. They're more talented that St Louis were, but I still there's a mental fragility there that's just waiting to be laid bare if the Stars keep taking it to them.

Good points. Bolts have the firepower but seem like they can be unraveled easily with the right approach. Blues had more players that could bully other teams with their size but the Bolts are typically a middleweight team full of fake tough guys that think they can be bullies because Pat Maroon is on their bench. Both teams are chalked full of whiney bitches though if you ask me.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Could be or maybe he’s almost done. It’s not like he had a great regular season.

Almost done? He's only 28 years old. Yes he's had a few injuries here and there, but nothing major and he's played 70+ games every season except the shortened one, and would have again this year too if not for the suspension. He should be in his prime and some way off permanent decline.

I agree he didn't have the best season this year, but 50 points is still a reasonable return. We'll see what he can produce next year, but if he were to be on the slide already then Dallas have a major problem on their hands. I'd doubt it though.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am worn out from bubble life

Edmonton is far more contained than Toronto was and we spend a LOT of time in Studio 99 which is a sports bar inside Rogers Place.

The hard part is there is no buzz before or after a game and it is the SCF.

We are trying our best to deliver a show that appears normal to you at home and I think we have done that. The team that wins this COVID CUP is worthy.

March 10th was the last day of the old normal - Bruins were in South Philly and we had concerns that we might have to play in San Jose the next week without fans. The next night it all fell apart :cry:

I am hearing tonight the Bruins could be back playing in December with home games at Warrior for the short term :dunno:

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016

Edmonton is far more contained than Toronto was and we spend a LOT of time in Studio 99 which is a sports bar inside Rogers Place.

We are trying our best to deliver a show that appears normal to you at home and I think we have done that. The team that wins this COVID CUP is worthy.

March 10th was the last day of the old normal - Bruins were in South Philly and we had concerns that we might have to play in San Jose the next week without fans. The next night it all fell apart :cry:

I am hearing tonight the Bruins could be back playing in December with home games at Warrior for the short term :dunno:
I think I can speak for everyone here that we appreciate the work you and everyone else behind the scenes are doing to bring us the playoffs. They always talk about what the players are sacrificing but never mention the people like you who also are away from everyone and everything they know to bring the sport we love to the world. Thank you to you and all of the people behind the camera doing that for us. Greatly truly appreciated.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I can't imagine what living in the bubble is like. Thank you for all you are doing. The buzz is what I have missed - even the booing in opponent's arenas - it is obvious now how much a crowd makes a difference and home ice does really matter. You are coming down the home stretch now, let's hope Dallas wins the next three!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You have absolutely done that. Given the limitations (no fans) and the overall situation, I think the TV networks (and their entire crews) have done an incredible job presenting NHL playoff hockey. The league as well should be commended for pulling this entire thing off.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

TRAIKOS: Seen Seguin? It's time for Dallas' highest-paid player to start producing | National Post

Media starting to notice the difference too. Either he's hurt or he's more of a regular season performer.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
TRAIKOS: Seen Seguin? It's time for Dallas' highest-paid player to start producing | National Post

Media starting to notice the difference too. Either he's hurt or he's more of a regular season performer.

Yeah, it's hard to say- some guys are just regular season terrors and vanish in the post-season. I just know he hasn't looked quite right to me, but whether that is an actual injury or him wilting under the pressure who can say with teams as tight-lipped as they are these days.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Fenway, you guys put on an amazing show each day. I can't imagine what you have gone through for the past 2+months.

The one thing I notice most is that Doc sometimes misses plays. And I have to remind myself he is watching on a screen. Other than that, the playoffs have been a treat to watch, and I often think of all the people who get no recognition to help keep us entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad