Around the NHL XLI: Let Us Never Again Speak of Last Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Marchand got paid. I suspect this deal will be 3 years of good value, 2 years of... value, and 3 years of "oh my god, what did we do" value.

EDIT - also important to keep in mind that Marchand still has a year left on his old deal. This 8 year deal kicks in when he's 29.

Oof.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Marchand got paid. I suspect this deal will be 3 years of good value, 2 years of... value, and 3 years of "oh my god, what did we do" value.

EDIT - also important to keep in mind that Marchand still has a year left on his old deal. This 8 year deal kicks in when he's 29.

Oof.

Glen Sather working behind the scenes in Boston, IMHO

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
This is the one great thing about never having any high performers on our team. Always staying around 60 points. Never have to doll out those massive breakout year contracts.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is the one great thing about never having any high performers on our team. Always staying around 60 points. Never have to doll out those massive breakout year contracts.

Didn't Marchand just have a career high of 61 points?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
37 goals in 77 games. Not too shabby but I doubt he nets 40 in 82. the 8 years is brutal.

He had a very good year and he is a good player but 61 points was still his career high so as you pointed out this contract may end up looking bad down the road. Right now cost controlled guys are becoming very valuable.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
If you play in the top 9, or top 4, your pretty much locked into a 4 year contract at minimum now. Top 6? 6-8 years. Next CBA is surelyyyy going to be fun. I'd be shocked if they didn't use the opt out clause after year 8.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If you play in the top 9, or top 4, your pretty much locked into a 4 year contract at minimum now. Top 6? 6-8 years. Next CBA is surelyyyy going to be fun. I'd be shocked if they didn't use the opt out clause after year 8.

Absolutely. Hope everyone is ready for another lockout. These contracts to merely above average players are ludicrous.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Consensus seems to be that's it's pretty close :dunno:

Well, the overall consensus seems to be that he's approaching Stevens, but hasn't yet surpassed him.

More uncertain about the generations.

Thing is, when you look at your original statement of top-15, some people are saying he might get there but has to do more. All of us casually interested in history forget about guys like Sprague Cleghorn. I'd have to think it's a tough group.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Absolutely. Hope everyone is ready for another lockout. These contracts to merely above average players are ludicrous.

They'll just extend the term limit to 10 years.... Longer term and lower AAV will ease the burden on teams. Buyouts need to become more usable later on too--they might have to modify the compliance buyout rules

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I wonder what kind of a return Toews can fetch with his intangibles despite the great but not elite numbers. I meant that as a serious question with no facetious tone at all. Just came out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille