Around the NHL XIV: Off Season/New Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bob Richards*

Love JD. I really want to see Slats do it with his usual cigar too.

AHB*

BREAKING NEWS: Charles Wang has agreed to sell the #Isles to John Ledecky, former co-owner of the Capitals, and investor Scott Malkin.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) August 19, 2014

We shall see..

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Kovalev*spoke with Phillipe Lehoux of RDS and was asked about the electrifying Habs star defenseman.*SBN’s Habs Eyes On The Prize dutifully shared what the Russian had to say.
“I’m not saying he isn’t a good hockey player, but he’s not the guy,” Kovalev said. “He’s a risky defenseman, and he’s a wide open defenseman. What I’m saying is that he can give up five goals and score five goals, and the score’s still going to be zero-zero. So if for example he saves five goals and scores five goals, that’s a different style of hockey. So I always compare him with Brian Leetch, because he wants to play the same kind of style, and be more offensive. He’s not making the right decisions. He’s making the risky plays, he’s not making the right decisions sometimes. He just plays like we used to play on the street.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ubban-to-leetch-says-he-isnt-worth-the-money/

Kovalev has a right to talk. I mean, who was more responsible with the puck than he was?

Kovalev neeeeeeeever made "risky" plays, right?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Embrace #Fancystats

Goodbye, ExtraSkater. You will be missed.

Seems like the NHL is killing two birds with one stone. The more prominent advanced metrics become, the more likely fans are to visit advanced metrics sites and not NHL.com. Hire all the advanced metrics gurus or have your owners hire them and close down their sites. Problem solved.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Funny how nobody was on the Corsi/Fenwick bandwagon a season ago. Now it seems everyone and their mother uses it.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Funny how nobody was on the Corsi/Fenwick bandwagon a season ago. Now it seems everyone and their mother uses it.
You'll have to forgive some people if they didn't care when people like Kershaw were trying to convince us of outrageous things like Clarkson being better than Callahan because of corsi/fenwick. I'd say Kershaw looks mighty dumb in that argument now

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You'll have to forgive some people if they didn't care when people like Kershaw were trying to convince us of outrageous things like Clarkson being better than Callahan because of corsi/fenwick. I'd say Kershaw looks mighty dumb in that argument now

It was slow to take off because a lot of ridiculous conclusions were being drawn, and the math was unfairly getting the blame because some people couldn't look at the bigger picture. Now that advanced metrics are starting to draw reasonable conclusions even among more casual fans, it is being accepted more readily.

I dont blame anyone for being skeptical as recently as the beginning of last season. I definitely was.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I don't think the front office signs Tanner Glass or lets Stralman walk in favor of Dan Boyle if they're using advanced metrics.

I think there is probably a split somewhere in management, but I think the non-metrics folks have more say.

Letting Stralman go, signing Glass? Not great.

Nabbing Stempniak for so cheap? Very good.

Then you have the issue of signing Brass for 5 years while signing Zuke for 1. There's definitely been a lot of head-scratching moments for those who want a more statistically inclined FO.

Also, JohnC nails it. When some people are flipping out on the team for letting John Mitchell of all ****ing players sign somewhere else, it was rough to embrace Corsi as our lord and savior. Having guys like BlueBlooded and -31- and you who always leave legitimate analysis instead of knee-jerk crying has gone a long way in making a lot of us look at metrics more seriously, IMO.

I'd say Mint, too, but I think Mint's made more enemies than friends because of his Klein posts ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad