Around the NHL V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't even know why Boston traded Lucic to LA. The return was awful, they don't even need a goalie. And they retained 50% of Lucic's salary. Awful trade. Awful.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Not at all there in Cap hell they are getting what they can out of the pieces they have to move. Bloated contracts and NTC's are biting them in the butt.

So they sell off their RFA defenseman rather than the bloat? SMART......

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So they sell off their RFA defenseman rather than the bloat? SMART......

Well when your bloat has NTC's or has two years left on a 4 mil contract and will never play another game due to concussion like Savard you have to do strange things.
Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask have full NTC
Eriksson, Kelly, Marchand, Seidenberg, Lucic All have MNTC's

Lucic waived his and was delt. Right now with Lucic traded and the rest they have 13.2 mil to spend on 7 roster players they are still in cap hell, They will make it this year playing younger player but next year they have to resign Eriksson, Krug, Kelly, and a couple lesser players. This is really the first team that the cap has bit hard. Chicago is coming soon. Boston messed up signiong 4 players to 7 mil contracts then passing out NTC's like there candy.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Don Sweeney just went off the board three times in a row at the draft, so I think it's safe to say he has smacked head-first into the learning curve.

Well he looks to be heading into another top 5 pick next year the way he's going.....Maybe even working his way out of a job before the year is out.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He may well have went off board but he drafted to a teams need something that does not happen much anymore.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so the Oil just traded for a D man who was a #4 overall pick.... Reinhart, from the Isles. Don't know if that would affect their desire/need for Jones or not.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
so the Oil just traded for a D man who was a #4 overall pick.... Reinhart, from the Isles. Don't know if that would affect their desire/need for Jones or not.

Jones is far more polished than Reinhart and has two full seasons in the NHL under his belt (159 games to 8). I would contend it gives them more reasons to potentially want Jones to add another young player who could play alongside the lefty Reinhart or add another long-term piece to their defense corps. If we were going to trade Jones, though, I think we would've already done it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Reinhart doesn't sound like he has Jones-level talent and from Isles fans it seems like he's a few years away from being NHL caliber with some pretty big question marks about his development and skating. I don't see this filling any immediate needs for the Oilers. While they may be hoping Reinhart turns into a "home run," I also don't think this displaces the need for a young elite d-man.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

They also don't have a legit future RHD in their roster. I thought that if they were trading for a defenseman it would be RHD. They already got Marincin, Nurse, Klefbom and now Reinhart in the left side. This trade doesn't rule out trading Jones to EDM.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Have to say that the next season is going to be hell in the west. All the teams are tough as nails (even Deadmonton, ARZ maybe not yet) and it's going to be very hard to even clinch a playoff spot.

Some teams are of course declining such as Vancouver, but most of the teams are just getting better and better. We have to answer that. Our team is good as it is but the other teams are just running past us if we stand still this summer. At least one proper UFA forward or d-man needs to be signed. Or we could always go and trade.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
BREAKING: Eddie Lack has been dealt to the #hurricanes.

In return for Lack, the Canucks get a third-round pick this year and a seventh-round pick next year

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Have to say that the next season is going to be hell in the west. All the teams are tough as nails (even Deadmonton, ARZ maybe not yet) and it's going to be very hard to even clinch a playoff spot.
Yes, teams are improving and some will be better than last season but let's be real. We were a team with home ice in the playoffs, could've easily beaten the champs, and have tons of young talent that should only continue to emerge. Worrying about a team who just drafted first overall is a bit of a stretch for us. We're far superior to Edmonton in almost every way.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yes, teams are improving and some will be better than last season but let's be real. We were a team with home ice in the playoffs, could've easily beaten the champs, and have tons of young talent that should only continue to emerge. Worrying about a team who just drafted first overall is a bit of a stretch for us. We're far superior to Edmonton in almost every way.

Okay, Edmonton was reaching I admit but teams like Dallas, Colorado are not gonna have a bad season like this. Every team in the Central is a playoff team and in the Pacific 4-5 teams are playoff teams. West is gonna be harder than ever.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Aaron Ward ‏@TSNAaronWard 2m2 minutes ago
Hearing trade of Khudobin to Ducks involves Wisniewski coming back to the Hurricanes. #TSN

What is Anaheim thinking?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
$7 million is absurd. As far as Jones goes, where does an arbitrator come into play in contract negotiations? Unless Weber misses 70 games and Jones comes in and scores 50 points and becomes a Norris finalist he has no leverage in asking for that kind of money next season.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I agree 7 mil is absurd, however it forced Bostons hand and they had to trade Hamilton. Or lose the guy to an offersheet and this is exactly the situation Jones has the Preds in now. Calgary still needs to sign the guy but they knew going in that why the guy was asking for I expect he will take 5.5 to 6 for 3 years then he will go bigger and longer. But I have no doubt Calgary will do what it takes to get him signed and that only strengthens Jones demands.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
ANA trades 41 and Etem to Rangers for Hagelin and picks

C'moon West

EDIT: The @NYRangers trade Carl Hagelin's rights, 59th & 179th to @AnaheimDucks for Emerson Etem & 41st pick. #NHLDraft

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 10s11 seconds ago
57, 79 & 184 to NYR. EDM also gets 209 with Talbot.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree 7 mil is absurd, however it forced Bostons hand and they had to trade Hamilton. Or lose the guy to an offersheet and this is exactly the situation Jones has the Preds in now. Calgary still needs to sign the guy but they knew going in that why the guy was asking for I expect he will take 5.5 to 6 for 3 years then he will go bigger and longer. But I have no doubt Calgary will do what it takes to get him signed and that only strengthens Jones demands.
If Jones is going to (allegedly) have us in the same precarious situation that Hamilton had Boston in, does this mean every other team in the league with a good player becoming an RFA with potential high salary demands should trade them? Forsberg is an RFA next year also but no one is clamoring that he's going to cost too much so we should trade him. Probably because this whole thing is predicated on the assumption that Jones isn't worth that kind of money. Is he worth a big pay day right now, not really, but is he going to be worth $5 million/year or so in the near future? Probably, yes.

Jones' career trajectory and the entry-level contract length aren't working in his favor. Because he came in at 19 and learned on-the-fly while using up the first year of his contract he's in the position to sign a new one without anyone knowing what he'll be like as he approaches his mid-20s. Many of us thought Ellis was disposable garbage until this season when he turned 24. We gave him a nice contract at 23. Jones is in the unenviable situation of asking for a big money contract as a 21 year old defenseman. Ekblad and the Panthers are going to go down the same road in two years.

Bottom line, we both agree that Hamilton is being dumb in his salary demands (or probably his agent) but there's no real correlation between the two other than they're good, young RFA defensemen. Jones hasn't reached the point in his career that Hamilton has. He might take significant steps towards it this season, but as we sit right now, no one can realistically think he's going to ask for 6 or 7 million also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad