Around the NHL V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If Jones is going to (allegedly) have us in the same precarious situation that Hamilton had Boston in, does this mean every other team in the league with a good player becoming an RFA with potential high salary demands should trade them? Forsberg is an RFA next year also but no one is clamoring that he's going to cost too much so we should trade him. Probably because this whole thing is predicated on the assumption that Jones isn't worth that kind of money. Is he worth a big pay day right now, not really, but is he going to be worth $5 million/year or so in the near future? Probably, yes.

Jones' career trajectory and the entry-level contract length aren't working in his favor. Because he came in at 19 and learned on-the-fly while using up the first year of his contract he's in the position to sign a new one without anyone knowing what he'll be like as he approaches his mid-20s. Many of us thought Ellis was disposable garbage until this season when he turned 24. We gave him a nice contract at 23. Jones is in the unenviable situation of asking for a big money contract as a 21 year old defenseman. Ekblad and the Panthers are going to go down the same road in two years.

Bottom line, we both agree that Hamilton is being dumb in his salary demands (or probably his agent) but there's no real correlation between the two other than they're good, young RFA defensemen. Jones hasn't reached the point in his career that Hamilton has. He might take significant steps towards it this season, but as we sit right now, no one can realistically think he's going to ask for 6 or 7 million also.

I get your points and I do not dismiss that FF9is in the same boat. Both are high end RFA's next year and Poile will have to budget to keep them. Forsberg will be the main priority this team is still weak offensively and he can't take a chance of losing FF9 so he will have to protect him by saving cap space to meet any offer sheet. Jones while a top priority as well is not essential right now. He is expendable to keep Forsberg. Poile has stated he is going to resign all UFA's this year so Wilson and Smith are going to chew into the cap. He will also need to plan to keep Eckholm next year the team is weak in LHD and Jones is just not effective on his offhand as many have pointed out here.

And yes other teams out there are going to have to make decisions just like Boston did with Hamilton heck they could not afford 4 mil per much less the 7 the guy wants. I said it in another thread a team can't give out 4 7 mil per contracts and a bunch at 4 to 5 mil and NTC's like candy and expect to protect there RFA's with this CBA. Recall all the NTC's Poile gave out a couple years ago and how it tied his hands. I do not see Jones here long term even if he is signed next year to a bridge. I think the best time to move the guy is in the next few hours if not. We may end up with Fish as our 1C this year.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
how silly is it that Chris Pronger, who hasn't played in years and is actually working as an NHL official, got traded to Arizona so they can reach the cap floor.

they could have just taken VLC, at least they would have a guy who could actually suit up and take the ice

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
how silly is it that Chris Pronger, who hasn't played in years and is actually working as an NHL official, got traded to Arizona so they can reach the cap floor.

they could have just taken VLC, at least they would have a guy who could actually suit up and take the ice

Not that it would happen, but how amazing would it be if Arizona now convinces him to officially retire, therefore setting up the cap recapture against Philly.

As for the salary for Arizona, it is only 525k they are having hit their cap. They could have easily claimed Clune to accomplish that.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not that it would happen, but how amazing would it be if Arizona now convinces him to officially retire, therefore setting up the cap recapture against Philly.

As for the salary for Arizona, it is only 525k they are having hit their cap. They could have easily claimed Clune to accomplish that.

Pronger does not have a recapture since his contract was signed prior to the rule is im not mistaken.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Pronger does not have a recapture since his contract was signed prior to the rule is im not mistaken.

In what year did this rule take effect then? His contract started in 2010-11 and was for 7 years. And if it does not, why hasn't he officially retired?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

In what year did this rule take effect then? His contract started in 2010-11 and was for 7 years. And if it does not, why hasn't he officially retired?

Pronger does have potential cap recapture. The long-term contract recapture rule applies to contracts that were over 7 years in duration (probably to fit in line with the maximum length a UFA could earn under the current CBA--excepting re-signings). Pronger's falls under the 35+ year old contract recapture rule.

The 525k cap hit doesn't sound right, even considering LTIR. I do believe his actual salary is 500k at this point (don't remember if he's in year 6 or 7).

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Pronger does have potential cap recapture. The long-term contract recapture rule applies to contracts that were over 7 years in duration (probably to fit in line with the maximum length a UFA could earn under the current CBA--excepting re-signings). Pronger's falls under the 35+ year old contract recapture rule.

The 525k cap hit doesn't sound right, even considering LTIR. I do believe his actual salary is 500k at this point (don't remember if he's in year 6 or 7).

General Fanager and Hockey's Cap says it is 575k. NHL Numbers shows 525k, which is where I looked. It is a shame that Capgeek is gone now. None of the new replacements seem to have accurate information. Either way it is year 6.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
General Fanager and Hockey's Cap says it is 575k. NHL Numbers shows 525k, which is where I looked. It is a shame that Capgeek is gone now. None of the new replacements seem to have accurate information. Either way it is year 6.

Must be something to do with the LTIR. I'm not enough of a capologist to know why it would be that low. I do think the salary is $500k though.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Must be something to do with the LTIR. I'm not enough of a capologist to know why it would be that low. I do think the salary is $500k though.

Per General Fanager (not sure how accurate it is)
Year NHL Salary
2010-11 $7,600,000
2011-12 $7,600,000
2012-13 $7,200,000
2013-14 $7,000,000
2014-15 $4,000,000
2015-16 $575,000
2016-17 $575,000

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Per General Fanager (not sure how accurate it is)
Year NHL Salary
2010-11 $7,600,000
2011-12 $7,600,000
2012-13 $7,200,000
2013-14 $7,000,000
2014-15 $4,000,000
2015-16 $575,000
2016-17 $575,000

thats cash salary not cap hit. the cap hit is the average of those 7 years

which is 4.921 million for each of the next two years according to nhlnumbers

Status
Not open for further replies.