Around the NHL: The 2024 NHL Playoff Thread

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Didn't the Caps just do that with Kuszentov?

Idk to be honest

No, the Caps retained half of Kuznetsov’s contract and traded him to Carolina. I’d be surprised if entering the players assistance program provided grounds for contract termination. Maybe if he fails the check at the 6-month mark, but before that? Seems unlikely.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
@littletonhockeycoach

I saw Landeskog was in warm ups. Is he just out there to support his teammates? Or does he have a chance to dress?
From 4 days ago.
“Yeah, I don’t think he’s there yet,” Avs coach Jared Bednar said. “He is making progress, though. The work he’s doing both on and off the ice, the intensity is gradually getting greater and greater. So that’s a positive sign. More resistance, harder work. You know, as much as it will allow while still being cautious.”

Landeskog has been skating on his own, sometimes just before the Avalanche practice at Family Sports Center. He’s also progressed from watching practices and morning skates from the bench to joining his teammates, but in an outfit more suited for an assistant coach.

Reactions: joshjull

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
No, the Caps retained half of Kuznetsov’s contract and traded him to Carolina. I’d be surprised if entering the players assistance program provided grounds for contract termination. Maybe if he fails the check at the 6-month mark, but before that? Seems unlikely.
Yes, but that was after they waived him to the minors the day he cleared the program's confines.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yes, but that was after they waived him to the minors the day he cleared the program's confines.

That just makes it look even more likely that you can’t terminate a player’s contract while he’s in the assistance program. If the Caps were able to wash their hands of his contract while he was in the program, why would they wait until he’s reinstated and then try to waive/trade him?

E: I just saw some of the tweets others have posted on this topic confirming my suspicion. It would be counterintuitive considering the purpose of the players assistance program if your team could just cut you and walk away when you entered it (whether voluntarily or involuntarily). Since the mandatory suspension is without pay, I wonder how that plays out with the salary cap calculations.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That just makes it look even more likely that you can’t terminate a player’s contract while he’s in the assistance program. If the Caps were able to wash their hands of his contract while he was in the program, why would they wait until he’s reinstated and then try to waive/trade him?

E: I just saw some of the tweets others have posted on this topic confirming my suspicion. It would be counterintuitive considering the purpose of the players assistance program if your team could just cut you and walk away when you entered it (whether voluntarily or involuntarily). Since the mandatory suspension is without pay, I wonder how that plays out with the salary cap calculations.
We’re saying the same thing.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Regarding suspensions and the salary cap, a player does not accrue a cap charge while suspended. For example, let's say a hypothetical player received a suspension for the second half of the season half-way through a season. So, he would count against the cap for the first half of the season, then not the second half. Considering how cap calculations actually work (cap hits are calculated daily then added up), this does not mean that the player "vanishes" from the cap at the point of his suspension. It means that the player accrues his cap hit normally during the first half of the season, then does not during the term of the suspension. In such a case, the player would end up counting at half of his normal cap hit for the season.

Now, as for how things work for Nichushkin in particular. First off, while Nichushkin would not accrue any further cap hit for Colorado now, that is actually a moot point at this point in the season since the regular season is over and no one is accruing a cap hit right now. As for how this will affect Colorado's off-season cap, I would think that Nichushkin would not count at all at that point, but I'm not entirely sure. Then, during the first month or so of next season, Nichushkin will not accrue any cap charge, as his suspension will still be ongoing. At that point, Colorado does not need to account for his cap hit. However, to be cap compliant when Nichushkin is reinstated, they must make sure they have enough cap room to account for his pro-rated cap hit (which should be roughly 5/6 of his normal cap hit).

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Regarding suspensions and the salary cap, a player does not accrue a cap charge while suspended. For example, let's say a hypothetical player received a suspension for the second half of the season half-way through a season. So, he would count against the cap for the first half of the season, then not the second half. Considering how cap calculations actually work (cap hits are calculated daily then added up), this does not mean that the player "vanishes" from the cap at the point of his suspension. It means that the player accrues his cap hit normally during the first half of the season, then does not during the term of the suspension. In such a case, the player would end up counting at half of his normal cap hit for the season.

Now, as for how things work for Nichushkin in particular. First off, while Nichushkin would not accrue any further cap hit for Colorado now, that is actually a moot point at this point in the season since the regular season is over and no one is accruing a cap hit right now. As for how this will affect Colorado's off-season cap, I would think that Nichushkin would not count at all at that point, but I'm not entirely sure. Then, during the first month or so of next season, Nichushkin will not accrue any cap charge, as his suspension will still be ongoing. At that point, Colorado does not need to account for his cap hit. However, to be cap compliant when Nichushkin is reinstated, they must make sure they have enough cap room to account for his pro-rated cap hit (which should be roughly 5/6 of his normal cap hit).
Would he be suspended for 6 calendar months or 6 months worth of league games

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
@littletonhockeycoach

I saw Landeskog was in warm ups. Is he just out there to support his teammates? Or does he have a chance to dress?
No chance. His skating has improved as a result of the last surgery but he's not doing hard stops and starts. He's not going thru the team drills and practices. He hasn't been in a game in 2 years. Adrenaline only works for just so long.

People here are always hoping for a messiah to save their season and regularly bring up Landeskog. When he can practice like what Drouin and Kiviranta recently showed, then I'll raise my expectations.

If they do dress him, it would be for moral and leadership. He'll make no meaningful contribution on the ice and runs the risk of being re-injured.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
No rat tonight again, and you don’t want to go back to Boston for a game 7.
I've hated Boston since inception. My mother bought me a Yastremski glove, had to trade it. I was the shortstop and pitcher for the Cheektovegas travel team, moved up a year got drafted by the Red Sox gave the hat to the coach and said I'd never play for them so he better trade me.

Now a blow out in Gm 7 to see all the crying Massholes would do my heart good, I prefer not to tempt fate

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Would he be suspended for 6 calendar months or 6 months worth of league games
6 calendar months, but he also has to apply for reinstatement, which is not automatic.

EDIT: The non-automatic part is for Stage 4, sorry - I believe stage 3 reinstatement is automatic as long as he applies and passes drug tests and such.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad