Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Its hard for me to blame Vegas for their cap circumcision when they arent actually doing anything illegal, but still pisses me off and is something the NHL needs to address. I have to imagine other teams arent happy about it either.
giphy.gif

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Agreed. I would hope that our GM does the same thing if the opportunity ever presented itself, but I do hope they change some rules.

I have a couple of thoughts on ways to address it:

1. Your dressed roster for a playoff game must be cap compliant. During the regular season, your scratched players count against the cap, so this would be a bit more lenient, but at least in theory, the players that are playing in the game fit under the cap.

2. If a player is on LTIR for the entire period from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season, then they have to miss some playoff games. The most lenient option would be a single game, the harshest option would be the entire 1st round. Maybe 4 games?

I think they could come up with a percentage based off of the spirit of the rule. Once the playoffs start, there is a 5-10% increase in cap space to allow for your callups.

The one about missing games, I think minimum 2 games, max 4.

I dont mind the idea about dressed roster must be cap compliant, but that likely doesnt then solve this issue since Vegas was pretty much cap compliant with their game 1 roster. Dressed roster was $84.247mil and if you count their LTIR relief its under, if you ignore LTIR relief then they swap Thompson for Patera as their backup and they are under.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
the LTIR crap is annoying, but its not like vegas is the only team allowed to pull it off

why aren't other teams taking advantage of it?

Other teams ARE taking advantage of it. They just aren't willing to go all in with shipping out futures like Vegas is. 13 of the 16 playoff teams finished the year operating in LTIR. Vegas is just more willing to swing big and take risks.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think they could come up with a percentage based off of the spirit of the rule. Once the playoffs start, there is a 5-10% increase in cap space to allow for your callups.

The one about missing games, I think minimum 2 games, max 4.

I dont mind the idea about dressed roster must be cap compliant, but that likely doesnt then solve this issue since Vegas was pretty much cap compliant with their game 1 roster. Dressed roster was $84.247mil and if you count their LTIR relief its under, if you ignore LTIR relief then they swap Thompson for Patera as their backup and they are under.
Make it so each team has to submit their cap compliant playoff roster after their last regular season game or before the first game is playoffs. Teams can bring/keep up AHL eligible players after it is submitted in case of injuries. A team can have a $10 mil guy that'll be back 5 games in and replace him with a call up until he's back. It stops teams from having an unfair advantage in case if injury too. Most teams of they lose a key player have to replace them with a call up level, Vegas, in this case, could lose a big money player and replace him with another big money player if they only need to be cap compliant each game.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Playoffs really bring out the worst in me. I genuinely relish watching teams I dislike suffer. Case in point:

Never want to see a player get injured. As a Latvian, I'm intrigued to see if Silovs could get a shot albeit it's prob a longshot

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
the LTIR crap is annoying, but its not like vegas is the only team allowed to pull it off

why aren't other teams taking advantage of it?
I've been thinking about that and the two reasons I've landed on are:

1) GMs agree it's kind of scummy and don't want to do that (I think this is unlikely, I'm sure they don't really care)

2) It requires a player to be injured at AND to agree with doing it. Stone might be fine with it because he is signed through the next 3 years, will be in his mid-30s at the end of that contract, and knows Vegas' best window is right now. However, a player who is still trying to prove themselves and earn a long term contract probably wants to get out on the ice as much as possible. If a GM planned to do it and the injured player felt healthy enough to play and made a stink about it, it would turn into a shit show.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Most of the fans crapping on Vegas for abusing the cap rules secretly wish their own GM had the balls to do the exact same thing.

Its risky for sure, but Vegas has perfected it. Thats usually when you see something change. Everyone knows the loophole is there and some guys might try to use it but when that loophole is now exposed and manipulated extremely well, thats when the loophole gets closed.

I think the CBA is up in 2 years. If Vegas gets another Cup between now and then, and they continue to play Stone LTIR games, Id expect the competition committee vote to close the loophole.

If it bites Vegas and they dont win another, it probably gets left alone.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The thing about the loophole that people seem to forget is that you really need a serious long term injury to a high priced player to even think about doing something like that. You can't really force the situation with minor injuries. And then you have to go out and be bold. It isn't something you can chose to do whenever you feel like it.

I'd like to see the rules modified, but I can't criticize any team that tries to win within the rules. Being proactive is how you get ahead in life. Being reactive is how you always end up chasing the other guy.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
The thing about the loophole that people seem to forget is that you really need a serious long term injury to a high priced player to even think about doing something like that. You can't really force the situation with minor injuries. And then you have to go out and be bold. It isn't something you can chose to do whenever you feel like it.

I'd like to see the rules modified, but I can't criticize any team that tries to win within the rules. Being proactive is how you get ahead in life. Being reactive is how you always end up chasing the other guy.

I question the validity and seriousness of the injuries and/or the recovery time. You just so happen to be back too being in playing shape to start the playoffs after the cap no longer matters? And this sint the 1st time.

No, I don't blame the team for using the loophole. Same reason I can't blame people who use the tax code as it's written to their benefit. You are playing by the rules set before you. But the rules need to change.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I question the validity and seriousness of the injuries and/or the recovery time. You just so happen to be back too being in playing shape to start the playoffs after the cap no longer matters? And this sint the 1st time.

No, I don't blame the team for using the loophole. Same reason I can't blame people who use the tax code as it's written to their benefit. You are playing by the rules set before you. But the rules need to change.
I'd like to see the rules changed too. No argument there. But the guy had a lacerated spleen. That was real. He wasn't day to day with some muscle soreness. Now did they delay his return to accommodate the addition of players? I'm sure they did. Because it worked in that situation. The team and the player were happy to make it work. Somebody pointed out somewhere that if it were a guy not set with a fat contract playing into his mid 30s you might not get buy in from the player. But then, guys like that aren't what this issue is about.

I just know that if we did it under similar circumstances I'd be damn happy and fine with it and so would everybody else here.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I'd like to see the rules changed too. No argument there. But the guy had a lacerated spleen. That was real. He wasn't day to day with some muscle soreness. Now did they delay his return to accommodate the addition of players? I'm sure they did. Because it worked in that situation. The team and the player were happy to make it work. Somebody pointed out somewhere that if it were a guy not set with a fat contract playing into his mid 30s you might not get buy in from the player. But then, guys like that aren't what this issue is about.

I just know that if we did it under similar circumstances I'd be damn happy and fine with it and so would everybody else here.

In Stones case I don't question the injury but the recovery timeline. Might be on the up and up, or... where there's smoke, there's fire.

Constantly having high value guys on LTIR, done this for playoffs before. It warrants a look.

And YES, 100% if this was the Ducks and they had the balls to use the rules to their advantage like that, I'd be all for it. Again, it's not illegal it's just questionable behavior that may warrant a rule change.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t want to say it’s a resurrection for Scheifele because he was always good but he’s just all in in a way I’ve never seen him before. Really nice turnaround because it felt like he was done there.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
COL looks like a new team after halfway through the 2nd. Even though they came close in game 1, they never seemed like they were in it. This series could go 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad