Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Oilers/Vegas looking likely imo. If Helly, Oettinger and Georgiev can't stop the puck and Demko is out, there's no much resistance to the stacked Knights and McDavid. The lack of goaltending is giving us some exciting games at least though.
Dallas is good. It's 1 game and they lost by 1 goal against the Vegas LTIR's. It's way too early to be calling that series.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Dallas is good. It's 1 game and they lost by 1 goal against the Vegas LTIR's. It's way too early to be calling that series.

4 goals on 15 shots and Oettinger has struggled for a long stretch now. Series aint over but Dallas lost home ice advantage already and Vegas is a fully operational battle station.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm a little surprised that the Isles haven't resorted to goon tactics while the game is still competitive yet. I know they pulled all kinds of shenanigans after the ENG against the other night, but the game was over by then. This was a staple of their back to back conference finals teams who were incredibly dirty.

It's their only hope as Carolina is far superior, but they also don't have the type of guys to punch back. If Noesen is your toughest player, you're kind of asking for it.
Just wait. I think this series and our series are going to get very nasty.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Rangers seem to never be able to solve him.
Historically we’ve dominated him, just recently we’ve had trouble but big goalies are always a problem for this team it seems

Actually Oettinger had been playing well and Vegas is not this unbeatable team. We will see.
That’s one of the closer matchups. Vegas at full 190m over the cap strength are a top team, same level as Dallas but with a winning pedigree

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm a little surprised that the Isles haven't resorted to goon tactics while the game is still competitive yet. I know they pulled all kinds of shenanigans after the ENG against the other night, but the game was over by then. This was a staple of their back to back conference finals teams who were incredibly dirty.

It's their only hope as Carolina is far superior, but they also don't have the type of guys to punch back. If Noesen is your toughest player, you're kind of asking for it.

Isles have nothing left to give. All these broken down bums like Pelech/Pulock, Lee and their identity line cant even keep up with the play, let alone try to be goons. Best bet is Pageau or Cizikas going Knee on knee with Aho.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Isles have nothing left to give. All these broken down bums like Pelech/Pulock, Lee and their identity line cant even keep up with the play, let alone try to be goons. Best bet is Pageau or Cizikas going Knee on knee with Aho.
Funny how years ago I claimed that Sorokin, Puloch/Peleck were only good because of the Trotz system.

Looks like , as usual, I was right.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Funny how years ago I claimed that Sorokin, Puloch/Peleck were only good because of the Trotz system.

Groundbreaking analysis that the Islanders were better with a HOF coach.

But I agree the Isles fans refused to believe that for a very long time and Im pretty sure a part of them still thinks that team is in there somewhere (its not)

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Groundbreaking analysis that the Islanders were better with a HOF coach.

But I agree the Isles fans refused to believe that for a very long time and Im pretty sure a part of them still thinks that team is in there somewhere (its not)
the clarification of pelech as a bad defenseman has been pretty surprising to me. he always looked staunch enough

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Nah Sorokin is good (he was good away from Trotz last year) and Pelech was good until he got hurt 900 times.

The guy who was a lock to suck away from Trotz was Mayfield. That dude is not an NHL player and has only stuck because he was allowed to grab a hold of everyone and never get called for it.

Some people have all the luck. Dude is probably skating around in a Euro league right now with nothing but a few cups of coffee at the NHL level but instead he plays under the only coach in the league he can survive under and has turned that into a multimillion dollar NHL career complete with a freshly signed SEVEN year contract.

Reactions: frozenrubber

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

From the games I saw it was Carolina setting the physical tone and making their presence felt.

Piles have an identity crisis

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Thank goodness this wasn't those looking between these letters on your keyboard posts that's trending on Twitter. I have zero idea what it means.

giphy.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think Quinn is a good coach (who over here does lol), but I feel bad for the guy. I mean what is he supposed to do with that roster, and it's not getting any better any time soon with San Jose. Just pointless to hire another coach who is going to have another miserable record. It would be one thing if you were already adding some young talent to the team starting next season, and want them to have a different coach. But this isn't the case.

I'm sorry, but Mike Grier has not impressed me in the least so far with his track record of trades and other moves.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think Quinn is a good coach (who over here does lol), but I feel bad for the guy. I mean what is he supposed to do with that roster, and it's not getting any better any time soon with San Jose. Just pointless to hire another coach who is going to have another miserable record. It would be one thing if you were already adding some young talent to the team starting next season, and want them to have a different coach. But this isn't the case.

I'm sorry, but Mike Grier has not impressed me in the least so far with his track record of trades and other moves.

Grier will be gone within the next 2 years. That awful Hertl trade signed his own death warrant. Retaining money for all those years, getting a so-so return and ripping a long time veteran out of the locker room all to an in-division team. It wasnt a trade that needed to be made, and if you're gonna make it, you need to fleece the other side.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Grier will be gone within the next 2 years. That awful Hertl trade signed his own death warrant. Retaining money for all those years, getting a so-so return and ripping a long time veteran out of the locker room all to an in-division team. It wasnt a trade that needed to be made, and if you're gonna make it, you need to fleece the other side.
1000%

I loved arguing some posters about that trade. They have no retention slots for the next year. And only 1 until 2027. That's BRUTAL for a rebuilding team. Surely there's at least someone on your team that plays decent enough to gather interest from a contender by next deadline? Well good luck trading with a contender if you can't retain. And now you can't be used as a brokerer for 3-team deal. And the return was poor anyways for a player of his caliber, especially considering you traded him to a rival.

The Karlsson deal wasn't that much better. You either retain properly to get more value, or not at all to get rid of the whole contract. No in between. Retaining like 15% for multiple years is lunacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad