Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If Vancouver wins Monday night then all 4 division winners will advance to final 4 for the first time in NHL history supposedly. How is that even possible for it to never have happened?

Crazy stat, but also I kind of get it. There's inherently more randomness in hockey games for starters, and also, playoff hockey is a slightly different game than regular season hockey.

Everything that goes into being a great regular season team doesn't necessarily translate to the playoffs, and some things that are necessary for playoff success don't help as much with winning one-off regular season games. Some teams are just better put together for when checking is tighter and attrition is a genuine strategy, and I don't think having that dynamic is really what gets rewarded the most in the first 82 games of the year.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Crazy stat, but also I kind of get it. There's inherently more randomness in hockey games for starters, and also, playoff hockey is a slightly different game than regular season hockey.

Everything that goes into being a great regular season team doesn't necessarily translate to the playoffs, and some things that are necessary for playoff success don't help as much with winning one-off regular season games. Some teams are just better put together for when checking is tighter and attrition is a genuine strategy, and I don't think having that dynamic is really what gets rewarded the most in the first 82 games of the year.
Yea, I get all that but the fact that it has never happened before is very surprising. I mean playoff hockey is a little different from the regular season but it's still hockey. I haven't noticed 1 team in these playoffs that has looked noticeably different than the regular season. The refs also haven't put the whistles away and have been calling a ton of penalties just like the regular season.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
2024-05-19 14_04_06-Reddit - Dive into anything — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Ail and will1066

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yea, I get all that but the fact that it has never happened before is very surprising. I mean playoff hockey is a little different from the regular season but it's still hockey. I haven't noticed 1 team in these playoffs that has looked noticeably different than the regular season. The refs also haven't put the whistles away and have been calling a ton of penalties just like the regular season.

Yup, I still think it's pretty bonkers that it's never happened before. Teams that win divisions are still very good teams, even if the game changes slightly.

I'd be curious to know if penalties are getting called at a higher rate this post-season than most. It does seem like they are calling things closer to regular season games, early on in series'. It wasn't until game 6 against Carolina where it kind of felt lile they'd put the whistles away.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Blood clots for Boeser.

f***ing sucks man. He’s been a big part of why they’ve gotten as far as they have. Edmonton suckage is a factor but he’s shown up.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I want Vancouver to win for the 94 vibe and Edmonton to go rich-poor once again with McDavid and Draisaitl. 9pm start for the only game on the schedule. Don't they know people have to sleep?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I want Vancouver to win for the 94 vibe and Edmonton to go rich-poor once again with McDavid and Draisaitl. 9pm start for the only game on the schedule. Don't they know people have to sleep?
Isn't Edmonton two hours different than here? Would make sense to have a 7pm local drop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad