Around the NHL - Part XLII - (2023-24 Season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Brutal. Seeing the ice girls and the kids and old people crying in the crowd.
Yeah, it's really sad for the fans and people working behind the scenes. I know a lot of people will say it's just sport, but a lot of people find comfort in sport. It's something you can bond with family, friends and even strangers. Now that's being taken away for the people in the PHX area. Such a shitty situation.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
What? the OT meant to nothing to him or the team, that's the whole point.
There was never an opportunity with an OT win. For Torts it was regulation or nothing regardless of anything else going on in the universe
Why is this such a hard discussion to follow along? My point of OT was that they were already eliminated, before Torts pulled the goalie. He should have gotten a go or no go before pulling the goalie. Had he done that, he would have known, pulling the goalie was absolutely useless, and could have went ahead, like any other game and try to win it in OT.

And before you say, why bother if they are eliminated,... why should any team continue play after being eliminated?

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Just finished listening to Marek on his Sportsnet podcast. He confirmed that the whole thing happened in one-minute span between 9:34 - 9:35. Your outrage is completely misplaced. There were scenarios in the past where one team got in over another, for example when its opponent would ice less than full lineup etc. Wings or Pens have no one to blame but themselves for putting themselves in this position. In case of Detroit (especially from the players perspective) if there’s anyone who they need to point fingers at is Yzerman himself, who did absolutely nothing at TDL when his team was actually solidly in control of their destiny and when they started spinning out of control to eventually led to this demise.

And let’s not forget that Caps had by far the most difficult schedule among these challengers for about a month leading to the end of the season.
That's total bull. It was way more than a minute, that I can guarantee and bet the house on. I watched both games simultaneously, and Detroit was already playing in OT when Torts pulled the goalie.
Detroit's 3rd period started more than 6 minutes earlier than the Caps 3rd. That doesn't mean there was a 6 minute difference, but it shows it was easy enough for Torts to follow along,.. what was going on in the other game. Having someone in his staff keeping tabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Why is this such a hard discussion to follow along? My point of OT was that they were already eliminated, before Torts pulled the goalie. He should have gotten a go or no go before pulling the goalie. Had he done that, he would have known, pulling the goalie was absolutely useless, and could have went ahead, like any other game and try to win it in OT.

And before you say, why bother if they are eliminated,... why should any team continue play after being eliminated?

I don't know why you can't follow along...
We aren't talking about 'any' team, we are talking about a Tort's team with one equation in fornt of them for their last game of the season; win in regulation or else.
The score in the other game was never going to be a factor for him

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I don't know why you can't follow along...
We aren't talking about 'any' team, we are talking about a Tort's team with one equation in fornt of them for their last game of the season; win in regulation or else.
The score in the other game was never going to be a factor for him
Is that so,... And what if that other game was played earlier in the day? Does he still go for it in regulation? Whether they were eliminated hours ago or 5 minutes ago, it shouldn't make a difference. Period. Torts being a dolt is my whole point.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
And what if that other game was played earlier in the day? Does he still go for it in regulation? Whether they were eliminated hours ago or 5 minutes ago shouldn't make a difference. Period. Torts being a dolt is my whole point.
Yes he probably does. To go back to the original point it's a simple explanation because Torts is actually a really simple guy at stuff like this

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Yes he probably does. To go back to the original point it's a simple explanation because Torts is actually a really simple guy at stuff like this
That makes no sense whatsoever. Your reasoning for his stupidity, is he is a simple guy? LOL!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Well here it is. Philly vs Caps were between whistles when Detroit scored with 3 seconds left. Time remaining in game was 4:13. So it was at least a full minute after. And that doesn't include the time elapsed between the whistle, which could have been another minute. There might have been another stop in the action as well at 4:11. Adding even more time. How could Torts not have gotten word, during these breaks in the action? In this day and age that is just inexcusable. I'm sorry, that's just how I feel.

Last edited:

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_9993.jpeg

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

EASTERN CONFERENCE – GAME 1s​

DateTime (ET)MatchupNetworks
Saturday, April 205 p.m.NY Islanders at CarolinaTBS, truTV, MAX, SNE, SNW, SNP, SN360, TVAS
Saturday, April 208 p.m.Toronto at BostonTBS, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS
Sunday, April 2112:30 p.m.Tampa Bay at FloridaESPN, SN, TVAS
Sunday, April 213 p.m.Washington at NY RangersESPN, SN, TVAS

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

EASTERN CONFERENCE – GAME 1s​

DateTime (ET)MatchupNetworks
Saturday, April 205 p.m.NY Islanders at CarolinaTBS, truTV, MAX, SNE, SNW, SNP, SN360, TVAS
Saturday, April 208 p.m.Toronto at BostonTBS, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS
Sunday, April 2112:30 p.m.Tampa Bay at FloridaESPN, SN, TVAS
Sunday, April 213 p.m.Washington at NY RangersESPN, SN, TVAS
at least it’s not 12:30

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Couldn’t Shane Doan buy the Coyotes to keep them in Arizona?
i know Hockey players make a lot of money but i don't think he's a billionaire

Their D and Goaltending are as ass as ever, i think they can beat Boston because Boston are low key trash but they can't win a cup with this roster. I thought after last year's embarassment vs Florida they would finall shake up the team but nope, quadruple down and bring in trash like Edmundson and Lyubshkin as your defensive "upgrades"

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
i know Hockey players make a lot of money but i don't think he's a billionaire

Their D and Goaltending are as ass as ever, i think they can beat Boston because Boston are low key trash but they can't win a cup with this roster. I thought after last year's embarassment vs Florida they would finall shake up the team but nope, quadruple down and bring in trash like Edmundson and Lyubshkin as your defensive "upgrades"
I don’t think Boston really expected to win this year. I think they won because they’re well coached, and just kept winning.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don’t think Boston really expected to win this year. I think they won because they’re well coached, and just kept winning.

Boston knows how to win RS games. Playoffs have been a bit of an ordeal for them as they get in and then they either stop scoring (what usually happens) or they stop being able to stop the other team from scoring (what happened last year.)

This year they just seem like a shitter version of what the Rangers are.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
How funny would it be if the Devils hired Gallant?
current vacancies:
Buffalo
teams with interim coaches:
LA (they made playoffs so Hillier could get hired)
NJ
STL
OTT
teams that should totally fire their coach:
SJ -> Warsofsky?
hot seat coaches:
Sheldon Keefe
Mike Sullivan (if Sheldon Keefe is let go you bet Dubas will be tempted)
Dave Hakstol
usual candidates:
Rod Brind'amour UFA coach
Spencer Carbery
Jay Leach
Craig Berube
Jay Woodcroft
bargin bin:
Bruce Boudreau
Gerald Gallant
Dean Evason
Darryl Sutter