OT: Around the NHL: More Cancelled Games Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Continue:

To add to that, I’m actually happy the Flyers and Isles are picking up points right now. They’re probably screwed for a playoff spot, and winning meaningless points now means there is very little chance they land anywhere close to Wright in the draft.

With NYI in particular, and their current core, I really don’t want to see one down year net them an immediate franchise player.

also, I just learned that Wright’s HC in Kingston is none other than Luca Caputi. Wow.

Anyone else kinda have a decent amount of respect for Maurice's decision? Just me?

Even he didn’t understand why he was kept on for 8 years.

Ha! Exactly. I just thought it was an unusual amount of self-awareness from an NHL coach. Usually they'll just cling on like grim death until they are forcibly dislodged.

didn't he coach Geno in russia or something? Did I get that wrong?

Yeah during a lockout (12-13). Malkin mostly played under Dave King early in his career.

Sounds like it wasn't much of a decision. Rumor was he was going to get fired soon anyway, so this was more of a "since we respect you, we'll let you resign instead of getting fired" thing.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Are the Caps turning into Pens? Just need Ovi to get injured….Backstrom like Sid, as soon as he got back got Covid

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I kind of agree with Nick Cousins about this, to slow down the spread, I would have maybe paused the games this Sunday and given the league the rest of the month off and then re-assess in January, I also don't think the Olympics would be a great idea at all, so that time they'd be off or even the ASB, they can add in the games then. Otherwise this is going to keep going, I mean this is what the new normal is, there's been like what 5-6 variants? It's what we have to live with now.

I just wish the mass hysteria and panic would stop by idiots in power.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kind of annoyed BBQoudreau is on this streak right now, Canucks fans are normally intolerable on the daily, but right now even more so. Also, because I wanted JR to send us some goodies back and maybe liberate Zucker so he could maybe be used better elsewhere.

Also put an end to this nonsense about Kane. An all around garbage human being.

Ovechkin's like a cockroach. The entire world could be wiped out in a nuclear winter and him and the cockroaches would be all that's left.
Probably the sugar levels in Ovechkin's blood, same as cockroaches.

Reminds me of Wall-E when the Cockroach eats through the center of the Twinkies, that's Ovechkin's spirit being.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I kind of agree with Nick Cousins about this, to slow down the spread, I would have maybe paused the games this Sunday and given the league the rest of the month off and then re-assess in January, I also don't think the Olympics would be a great idea at all, so that time they'd be off or even the ASB, they can add in the games then. Otherwise this is going to keep going, I mean this is what the new normal is, there's been like what 5-6 variants? It's what we have to live with now.

I just wish the mass hysteria and panic would stop by idiots in power.

League should have just gone into Christmas break now, then re-assess the situation after the break.

Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Kind of annoyed BBQoudreau is on this streak right now, Canucks fans are normally intolerable on the daily, but right now even more so. Also, because I wanted JR to send us some goodies back and maybe liberate Zucker so he could maybe be used better elsewhere.

Also put an end to this nonsense about Kane. An all around garbage human being.

Probably the sugar levels in Ovechkin's blood, same as cockroaches.

Reminds me of Wall-E when the Cockroach eats through the center of the Twinkies, that's Ovechkin's spirit being.

Id really like Boeser but I don't think we have assets to land him. But I'm not sure if he was on the table

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’m sure the players gathering with family over the holiday will really help.
We get a flu shot every year because the strain of flu mutates. The common cold also does. Vaccines help us basically deal with shit as if it was a bad cold or flu at worst. It's why we got this.

The mass hysteria is a little bonkers. But being vaccinated myself and abiding by the rules, at some point folks need to realize this is the new normal. If we see the world and sports freak out at every variant you might as well just shut everything down and wait for never.

And this isn't a for or against anything sort of deal..I had covid, believe the vaccines work and masks help, but at some point a league has to say ok enough, you will have to forfeit games or call up players.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We get a flu shot every year because the strain of flu mutates. The common cold also does. Vaccines help us basically deal with shit as if it was a bad cold or flu at worst. It's why we got this.

The mass hysteria is a little bonkers. But being vaccinated myself and abiding by the rules, at some point folks need to realize this is the new normal. If we see the world and sports freak out at every variant you might as well just shut everything down and wait for never.

And this isn't a for or against anything sort of deal..I had covid, believe the vaccines work and masks help, but at some point a league has to say ok enough, you will have to forfeit games or call up players.

That’s where I’m at, too. I was pointing out it doesn’t matter what they do, it’s a problem that’s not going away. I don’t think postponing games every year is going to help anything.

Reactions: The Old Master

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That’s where I’m at, too. I was pointing out it doesn’t matter what they do, it’s a problem that’s not going away. I don’t think postponing games every year is going to help anything.
What's the saying?

A person is smart.
People are dumb.

It's how I'm seeing this.

Literally the layman description for Covid19 by experts is that its a flu on roids, more or less. Having had it, I can say yeah definitely felt like it. So we got vaccinated to give our bodies proteins and what not to lessen the symptoms. So now it's just a bad flu with lingering effects but survivable. It's been mutating basically it's first year in. The league had to have been paying attention to this and figured ok we stopped the first time and resumed. Then had a shortened season. Then we wanted a regular season, with the old protocols in place of just reschedule?

This btw is the 9th variant of the virus. The vaccine makes it so you don't have severe illness and hospitalization unless it's the elderly and the elderly are hospitalized with a bad flu in general so at what point does the league say "OK we have players vaccinated and the variants are never going to stop, so either you call up players and play or forfeit the games."

That is what it should be at this stage. The league didn't help us when the mumps outbreak happened. You figure it out and work around it.

Reactions: The Old Master

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yeah, my Kraken's game against the Leafs tonight was just postponed. And just an hour ago, my district's US House of Representative's rep, Doug Ericksen, died of Covid. He co-sponsored a lot of anti-vax, anti social distancing, anti mask legislation, got sick while visiting El Salvador, got medevac'd to Fort Lauderdale on the public's dime, where he then sent messages to fellow congresspeople asking for the best Covid meds. Can't make this up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, my Kraken's game against the Leafs tonight was just postponed. And just an hour ago, my district's US House of Representative's rep, Doug Ericksen, died of Covid. He co-sponsored a lot of anti-vax, anti social distancing, anti mask legislation, got sick while visiting El Salvador, got medevac'd to Fort Lauderdale on the public's dime, where he then sent messages to fellow congresspeople asking for the best Covid meds. Can't make this up.
Play stupid games....

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not shocked that they stopped cross border play temporarily.

Also, I dont see the NHL being able to stop players from going to China, if the likes of McDavid, Ovy, Sid, etc, are dead set on going. Be interesting to see what happens in that regard.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014

It's pattern repeating itself frequently.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Not shocked that they stopped cross border play temporarily.

Also, I dont see the NHL being able to stop players from going to China, if the likes of McDavid, Ovy, Sid, etc, are dead set on going. Be interesting to see what happens in that regard.

McDavid's expressed some hesitation, which is...more than I'm given to understand he usually says. Ovi's probably steamed about missing out on Russia's gold medal, so he probably angles to go. Between his own bout with covid and getting his wrist back in gear, I can see Sid being...quietly relieved if the answer is scrap it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad