OT: Around the NHL - John Scott w/ a great Player's Tribune piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That hat Geno's wearing is really really really awful.
They're different.
88e6c400-c6a0-11e5-b972-1f08cdb46012_DSC05542.jpg

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Personally was impressed how hard Scott could shoot and his second shootout attempt was pretty solid. All said I enjoyed the skills competition tonight.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Personally was impressed how hard Scott could shoot and his second shootout attempt was pretty solid. All said I enjoyed the skills competition tonight.

The skills competition was fun, Keith Jones on his soapbox about how only good guys make it to the NHL was pretty unbearable. I swear, even when the league succeeds, it fails at the same time...

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
wtf are those hats? Is it a new concept, like you have to finish them yourself? (take out that marker)

I guess they look better on TV where you can't really see they seem to have been rushed...

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Honestly I wish the NHL would just embrace it from here on out...add an fan favorite enforcer person to each all-star team then add a hockey fight event to the skills competition. (Give them extra headgear/padded gloves if you must for "safety reasons")

On a different note Malkin 2/2 during the shootout...is it time to maybe move him up on the Pens shootout order? I mean he actually even tried shooting at two different parts of the net...which is that legal? You really don't have to do the exact same shot every single attempt?

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... those are really, really bad. I was wondering what fresh new hell Malkin was sporting on his head, last night.

I always kinda had a soft spot for the skills comp. I don't really know why. It was even cheesier and cringy (presentation-wise) than usual, last night. I think maybe it's just because it's nice to actually see these guys out there goofing around and not being deadly serious, for a change. Chatting each other up (nicely done on a side note, Komarov) and horsing around. Like... I don't know how anyone could seriously dislike Subban, Jagr, Burns etc. Hate them as players... yeah. I get that.

Nice to see Malkin as the only guy to score (twice) in the first round of the shootout. And call his shots, on top of that (and yeah, ibar... he should be bumped up the list. Frankly I feel like someone is screwing up somewhere if Malkin doesn't get a go in more or less every shootout). I was also a little shocked that he hit 97MPH. I know it's far from a game situation but I didn't figure he had that kind of velocity.

Also lol'd when he tried to get the crowd going and missed 4/4.

Thought it was interesting how much praise Malkin had for Jagr. Super stoked we never got to see that first hand, here...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's almost like using Malkin's one timer on the PP with that velocity and accuracy should be a go to option.......

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I can't tell if those are worse than all-white hats...and that's not something that should ever be up for debate.

Ew.

All white hats are awful. The only thing worse is a leather baseball cap. Those things just scream "I'm a pervert!".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's almost like using Malkin's one timer on the PP with that velocity and accuracy should be a go to option.......

Whoa whoa whoa, buddy. Let's not get crazy, here.

So you're saying they shouldn't pass it around for nearly a full half minute after taking five tries to even set up only to eventually settle on a weak, bad angle, non-screened wrister to the net from and already-covered Kessel?

To be serious, though... I think they are at least looking for it more, lately.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Whoa whoa whoa, buddy. Let's not get crazy, here.

So you're saying they shouldn't pass it around for nearly a full half minute after taking five tries to even set up only to eventually settle on a weak, bad angle, non-screened wrister to the net from and already-covered Kessel?

To be serious, though... I think they are at least looking for it more, lately.

Letang is also usually awful at pacing the pass for Geno to use the one time shot. When he gets the pass right, Geno gets it on net.

So I blame letang for the lack of one timers. Largely for his passes, but also because he rarely shoots one either.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Letang is also usually awful at pacing the pass for Geno to use the one time shot. When he gets the pass right, Geno gets it on net.

So I blame letang for the lack of one timers. Largely for his passes, but also because he rarely shoots one either.

That's probably more accurate than anything.

I feel like there has been some at least moderate improvement in that department in recent vintage, as well. Maybe it's finally something they have isolated and are actively working with him on? Perhaps Gonchar?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I can't ****ing stand Roenick. My baseless dislike of the guy is backed up by first-hand accounts from a former Flyer player (from the 70s) whom is a family friend. Says Roenick is a classless, arrogant, annoying piece of **** behind closed doors as well. Treats people like garbage, and is always trying to stir **** up.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
That's probably more accurate than anything.

I feel like there has been some at least moderate improvement in that department in recent vintage, as well. Maybe it's finally something they have isolated and are actively working with him on? Perhaps Gonchar?

Imo they were always getting cute on the powerplay. From time to time Sid and Geno force to involve each other on the play instead of Geno shooting all the time.
Also the fact that Geno does himself see as a pass first player might be a reason too.
Can you remember when he told the media a loss (don't know which game it was but he was the only penguin dominating) was on him because he shot too much?
Geno clearly has one of the best shots in the league. But he is also one of the best play makers in the league. And I think he prefers the latter one.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Gonna be fun to watch Geno, one of the best shooters in the league, continually pass up shots in favor of being unselfish during the 3-on-3. :laugh:

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Other than actually going to the all star game last year, I'm actually excited to see how the 3v3 goes.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
How are both leagues supposed to play each other if they have the same jerseys on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad