NHL Around the NHL IX - Islanders En Fuego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Who cares about the Habs...it's going to make it that much more difficult for the arrogant leafs to make the playoffs. I can't see how they make it with that soft defenceless team.

Those in leaf land will appreciate this sentiment.

There will always be a part of me that cares about the Habs- the hate is ingrained- but I am just about as happy when they are irrelevant like they are these days :laugh: These days, however, it's the Leafs that need to burn! And burn! And Burn! And . . .

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Defense and goaltending seem optional in Toronto. Crazy start against Tampa.

This is an extreme case but it's generally this way in October before teams start getting their structures and team D together and the goal tallies start to decline.

4-3 after one.

I don't know what Tampa's defense is doing but this game shows how bad Toronto defense is.

How dare you guys criticize the Laffs defense !!!! Mike Babcock is actually " happy " with how his blueliners have played so far. :laugh:

from tsn.ca:

The Maple Leafs have allowed 15 goals in a three-game home losing streak, but Mike Babcock believes his team is making progress in their own end.

"Our defensive numbers are real good so far this season," the coach said after a brisk 30-minute workout. "We're happy with that. Last night we weren't good enough. We made some mistakes and it ended up in our net, but we gave up chances like we don't normally give up. So that’s the biggest concern."

Babcock insists the meltdown against the Lightning in a 7-3 loss Thursday is not a symptom of larger defensive issues. Instead, it was simply a case of his team getting outworked, something that was addressed Friday morning.

"I thought our meeting was more important than our practice, to be honest with you," Babcock said. "The other team was hungrier and faster and better than us last night. I think that's the No. 1 thing. You know, it's easy for you to string them (losses) together, because that's the way they go. We thought we played great against St. Louis. We didn't win. So, to me, they're night and day different. Maybe we were feeling so good about the way we played against St. Louis we forgot to play last night."

Here's the whole story.......read at your own risk: www.tsn.ca/babcock-happy-with-leafs-defensive-progress-this-season-1.1379984

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
How dare you guys criticize the Laffs defense !!!! Mike Babcock is actually " happy " with how his blueliners have played so far. :laugh:

from tsn.ca:

The Maple Leafs have allowed 15 goals in a three-game home losing streak, but Mike Babcock believes his team is making progress in their own end.

"Our defensive numbers are real good so far this season," the coach said after a brisk 30-minute workout. "We're happy with that. Last night we weren't good enough. We made some mistakes and it ended up in our net, but we gave up chances like we don't normally give up. So that’s the biggest concern."

Babcock insists the meltdown against the Lightning in a 7-3 loss Thursday is not a symptom of larger defensive issues. Instead, it was simply a case of his team getting outworked, something that was addressed Friday morning.

"I thought our meeting was more important than our practice, to be honest with you," Babcock said. "The other team was hungrier and faster and better than us last night. I think that's the No. 1 thing. You know, it's easy for you to string them (losses) together, because that's the way they go. We thought we played great against St. Louis. We didn't win. So, to me, they're night and day different. Maybe we were feeling so good about the way we played against St. Louis we forgot to play last night."

Here's the whole story.......read at your own risk: www.tsn.ca/babcock-happy-with-leafs-defensive-progress-this-season-1.1379984

The longer Babchoke coaches, the more people realize how overrated he is.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
PhotoEditor_20191012_162433658.jpg

Edit and now it's 22-9 sog with Ottawa leading 1-0.

I wonder if Tampa has psyched themselves out

Edit again I guess not because Tampa just scored lol

I'll stop now

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Empty netter, Namestikov has 2g 3 pts. 4-2 Ottawa over Bolts

oooooooooooooooo child, what is going on in Tampa?

Tampa had such a dominant regular season last year and peaked too early, and then had no scope for lifting their game in the playoffs and simply fell apart. My guess would be that they're making a conscious effort not to be bringing their absolute A game this early in the season. Obviously you still need to win games, but I feel that they won't mind dropping one here and there and won't look to really be pushing 100% in their training, prep, intensity and form until after Christmas.

There's two risks in that - it might turn out that can't fully switch on when they need to, and they might start losing more games than they anticipated, which may cause some panic and start a viscous cycle. But if I was a Tampa fan I wouldn't be too worried just yet. Let's see how the next month plays out.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
very quietly kovalchuk has 6 points now in 4 games... our cap cant afford him so im not saying we should trade for him but its a bit interesting when these things keep happening after experts write someone off

james neal...

Charlie coyle was considered a bad trade when we gave up donato… donato had all those points the first 2 weeks and this place was going nuts

sometimes guys will hit a wall and never recover... loui Eriksson was probably toast the second he got his comfy long term security contract... lucic is the type of player that never has success after 30... spezza... marleau… maybe backes here fits this list? there are definitely guys that fall off the cliff, but theres also a lot who just needed another chance

maybe brett Ritchie will still have game... its possible. maybe zboril or senyshyn have futures...

one think I learn everytime I pay attention to the nhl… theres always developments that take us by surprise. some good/some bad... but theres always surprises.

we should have more humility when we give our hot takes about how some player is going to perform

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
very quietly kovalchuk has 6 points now in 4 games... our cap cant afford him so im not saying we should trade for him but its a bit interesting when these things keep happening after experts write someone off

james neal...

Charlie coyle was considered a bad trade when we gave up donato… donato had all those points the first 2 weeks and this place was going nuts

sometimes guys will hit a wall and never recover... loui Eriksson was probably toast the second he got his comfy long term security contract... lucic is the type of player that never has success after 30... spezza... marleau… maybe backes here fits this list? there are definitely guys that fall off the cliff, but theres also a lot who just needed another chance

maybe brett Ritchie will still have game... its possible. maybe zboril or senyshyn have futures...

one think I learn everytime I pay attention to the nhl… theres always developments that take us by surprise. some good/some bad... but theres always surprises.

we should have more humility when we give our hot takes about how some player is going to perform

Kovy would have been fun to watch on the Bruins

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Kessel at 1000 games. Must be weird to happen when you've only played a few games with your new team.

Corey Perry will hit his after 12 games with Dallas. If he gets 12.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Gallagher scored this goal for the Habs last night against the Blues, and despite his clear contact with Binnington in the process, it was ruled a good goal, while Krejci's stick tap on Grubauer's pad was illegal interference. How exactly are the rules supposed to work? Where's the consistency?

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Gallagher scored this goal for the Habs last night against the Blues, and despite his clear contact with Binnington in the process, it was ruled a good goal, while Krejci's stick tap on Grubauer's pad was illegal interference. How exactly are the rules supposed to work? Where's the consistency?

I’ll post my reaction to the NHL overturning the goal the Bruins scored again:

lol

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

james neal...

Improved skating, that's pretty much the bottom line. Kovalchuk is moving much better this season, remember he's is/was a pretty thick guy (over 230 lbs).

Neal it's probably a bunch of things, but he's moving around better too.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Neal's style did not mesh with Calgary's at all. Add in that the coach soured on him fast and it was a recipe for disaster. Not surprised Neal is having a resurgence in Edmonton. I am surprised how many goals he has already, but I don't see that being sustainable. Only 5 games in, just over a week into the season. Way, way too early to forming opinions yet. Just strap in and enjoy the ride, plenty of unexpected results so far.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

If you are looking for consistent officiating from the NHL you are in the wrong game

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just noticed that St. Louis used the pick they got from Boston for Wade Redden ( 6th round - 176th overall in 2014 Draft ) to pick Sammy Blais. :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad