OT: Around the NHL - Give us 101 games of Florida and Tampa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
So everyone knows that Tampa did a huge cap circumvention move by Kucherov unable to play during the regular season then steps in and scores 2 goals his first game back. I think teams would bulk at allowing it. But I almost feel like the league should have some rule where there is an independent evaluation by a league doctor on fitness to play in certain cases. I think it should be tailored to prevent exactly what happened. Maybe it's something where 2 weeks before the end of the season the player gets evaluated and if they are deemed fit to play they must take him off LTIR. This is not a case where you have someone who is clearly still laboring/injured who is just trying to survive the playoffs. This is someone who probably was good to go a month ago and is playing at a high level.
Either that or if you miss the entire regular season on LTIR then you miss the first round of playoffs as well, by rule. I dunno it just strikes me as such a blatant cap circumvention move that it should be addressed some how.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So everyone knows that Tampa did a huge cap circumvention move by Kucherov unable to play during the regular season then steps in and scores 2 goals his first game back. I think teams would bulk at allowing it. But I almost feel like the league should have some rule where there is an independent evaluation by a league doctor on fitness to play in certain cases. I think it should be tailored to prevent exactly what happened. Maybe it's something where 2 weeks before the end of the season the player gets evaluated and if they are deemed fit to play they must take him off LTIR. This is not a case where you have someone who is clearly still laboring/injured who is just trying to survive the playoffs. This is someone who probably was good to go a month ago and is playing at a high level.
Either that or if you miss the entire regular season on LTIR then you miss the first round of playoffs as well, by rule. I dunno it just strikes me as such a blatant cap circumvention move that it should be addressed some how.

yeah, the latter should be how they close the loophole...if you can’t get into X number of games at the end of the RS, you’ll be unavailable to play in the first round or something...best way to handle it

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
could you see the outcrys against the Penguins if we did that with Geno? I mean geno had himself a good last game, but can you imagine 100% healthy, rested and motivated Geno in the playoffs? This isn't a knock on him, he is the target of the opposition, he's getting old and injuries just happen. Just saying imagine a rested well oiled russian machine that didn't cost us any cap space...

Reactions: ncm7772

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

i mean you could simply do a thing where to take advantage of the cap benefits from a ltir move the player must be evaluated every month.... once they get a clean bill of health you have x amount of time to activate them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Sabres (the most inept franchise in the league) have Tocchet (who couldn't reach .500 in today's game) as a candidate for their coaching vacancy. Plus, he's also getting looks from Columbus and New York. I said it in another thread, but this league is a fraternity.

Don't forget The Kraken. They were reportedly sniffing around, too.

In this league you fail upward until it's blatantly obvious you're a complete moron. And even then they'll stick you behind SOMEONE'S bench as an assistant.

*looks at Dan Bylsma*

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Sabres (the most inept franchise in the league) have Tocchet (who couldn't reach .500 in today's game) as a candidate for their coaching vacancy. Plus, he's also getting looks from Columbus and New York. I said it in another thread, but this league is a fraternity.
Sully sucked in Boston... coaches can fail for reasons other than coaching ability ....

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Sully sucked in Boston... coaches can fail for reasons other than coaching ability ....

Berube and Cassidy, too. Although, Cassidy's situation had more to do with how he handled the players in Washington IIRC. I don't want to get too into because I'm not sure of the details.

Berube, though, was thought to be a dud until he redeemed himself with the Blues. I haven't followed the team that closely since, but that run shows what can happen when a guy gets a second chance. I'm just surprised to see Tocchet receive so much interest so soon. Those other names had to spend years re-establishing themselves.

Reactions: KIRK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyhow, regarding Tocchet, I wouldn't mind seeing him back as an assistant, but honestly, I'm not really sure how effective any coach is really without a team leader or two buying in to what they're selling. Phoenix struck me as essentially leaderless, god only knows who the Kraken are going to get in the ED, but I'm not sure how a coach's record on one club translates to another with any degree of accuracy.

For us, anyway, I'd certainly welcome Tocchet back if just to replace Vellucci or Reirden, who I don't think are bringing much to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BillPrep

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Let me put it this way, I’d be perturbed if management didn’t resort to that if the Penguins were in a similar situation. Is it frustrating to see a top team take advantage of how the cap? Certainly. However. I don’t think they should be criticized for it. They did what every other team would do.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Let me put it this way, I’d be perturbed if management didn’t resort to that if the Penguins were in a similar situation. Is it frustrating to see a top team take advantage of how the cap? Certainly. However. I don’t think they should be criticized for it.

Yeah, I would actually have preferred to see us do more cap f***ery this year, especially in the second half of the season when we had the weaker schedule.

Reactions: BHD

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Late to the party but I am watching the games on the next day usually, so I have to say how incredibly dull the Leafs - Habs game was compared to the rest, especially the two earlier. Understandable because of the injury to Tavares but still, all the anticipation for this borefest. At least the GWG was a beauty.
Tampa - Florida was insane, I feel bad for anyone who missed it because of our game or the Leafs game. But if Barkov is hurt, the Cats will need a miracle. It's weird how vulnerable Vasilevski has been this season against Florida, though. I was thinking that Horny isn't too noticeable and he had a goal and an assist when his team seemed down and out. Sorry for doubting you, man.
Also, Hedman with his Mike Matheson at his worst impersonation for the last two goals but of course, if you listen to the posters here, only our D make dumb mistakes. :)
Vegas - Minny is also weird, one team utterly dominates a given period, then the other team takes over.

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Is it frustrating to see a top team take advantage of how the cap? Certainly. However. I don’t think they should be criticized for it. They did what every other team would do.

The Blackhawks won three Cups while effectively rewriting the book on how cap circumvention is done. Marian Hossa can't wear hockey gear just like Nikita Kucherov can't play in the regular season this year.

With Chicago it was often times blatant and unmistakable what they were doing but look at their track record of success. Will history remember the cap circumvention or forget it because a team won the Cup?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I cant believe MacKinnon has 61 points in 42 playoff games. That's absurd. I know Sid started off with 63 in his first 49, but this guy is truly the "when it matters" heir apparent right now.

I'm ashamed to say I though Colorado were nuts in 2013. I thought when they already had Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, they should've traded down from first overall, grabbed hometown boy Seth Jones, and jumped into contention. Holy shit, how wrong was I? This dude is the definition of "franchise player"

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We need the Caps to win tonight to ensure two more games of punishment for each team. The longer the better (that's what she said).

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Think you guys are missing the point regarding the Foligno fight, going back to the locked thread.

He didn't do it for retribution. The Tavares scene shocked the Leafs and he did as a way to distract them from that and get them to re-focus on the game. Was a way to get the energy back in the building.

Plus he's trying to find a way to contribute, since he was brought there to be a leader and he's not necessarily gonna score much.

Thought it was a really good move from Foligno. Perry accepted the beating because he felt like shit. Him and JT know each other well.

Reactions: Extra Texture

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure I'd call Tocchet's record with that shit show ownership and management in Phoenix an indictment of his work as a coach, especially when you consider his work as an assistant in Pittsburgh.

Doesn't mean he necessarily should be a top candidate anywhere or that your greater point about the league doesn't stand.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Nice to see the Caps fans finally turning on Schultz and Sheary. Both playing poor in the playoffs. And Sprong is scratched for Daniel Carr. That said, let´s go Caps tonight. Let´s make it a 2-2 series. Wouldn´t mind another double OT either.

Maybe they're still working for the Penguins . . . :popcorn:

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Mantha will have a hat-trick or Hagelin will be the Penguins double agent tonight.

Or maybe there will be yet another OT. Apparently the Caps have played 15 OT games in the first round in the last five years.

Reactions: BillPrep and KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad