Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Ignoring that the playoffs ended in September and Kucherov got surgery in late December (we're supposed to believe he only started feeling pain well after the playoffs), logically if there was even the slightest possibility Kucherov could have come back 4 months into the season the Lightning should have dealt 9.5M worth of players in the off-season to accommodate his salary. Otherwise they would have risked being put in a terrible position by having to deal Killorn + another guy (likely Cirelli/Sergachev) to clear that cap in the middle-late part of the season.

It's completely obvious that Kucherov has been ready to play for weeks, if not a month or two and they pretended he was too injured to play to circumvent the cap. Now Tampa gets to field 90M worth of players while other contenders had to abide by the 81.5M cap. It's a joke.

They should have been forced to trade several good players to get cap compliant but the NHL failed to enforce the rules as they were intended. No reason why teams should be forced to obey the cap in the regular season and not worry at all about it in the playoffs.

Even if that were all true (it seems plausible), how often is an NHL team going to sideline its best player for a whole season just to circumvent the cap? It's the old "cut off your nose to spite your face" adage, not many teams would risk it during a full 82 game season where tickets are being sold.

Tampa took advantage in a shortened pandemic season, but I doubt any precedent is being set for any similar circumvention in the future.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Calgary is a broken team. From all accounts there are 2 factions in the room. They need to pick a leadership group and cut out the other.
PK vs Paccioretty vibes. Not sure either "leadership groups" were the issue. Just team build up with major holes.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Even if that were all true (it seems plausible), how often is an NHL team going to sideline its best player for a whole season just to circumvent the cup? It's the old "cut off your nose to spite your face" adage, not many teams would risk it during a full 82 game season where tickets are being sold.

Tampa took advantage in a shortened pandemic season, but I doubt any precedent is being set for any similar circumvention in the future.

Yeah it's not something that will happen every season, but for a powerhouse team like Tampa that had a 95% chance to make the playoffs even without Kucherov, it's a way of spending way more than your competitors and getting to field a playoff roster that would not be anywhere close to cap compliant during the regular season.

Imagine how pissed we would be if we were a contender in a couple years and the Leafs delayed Matthews coming back weeks so they could field a roster 12M over the salary cap for the playoffs. Blatant circumvention.

Reactions: DrEasy

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah it's not something that will happen every season, but for a powerhouse team like Tampa that had a 95% chance to make the playoffs even without Kucherov, it's a way of spending way more than your competitors and getting to field a playoff roster that would not be anywhere close to cap compliant during the regular season.

Imagine how pissed we would be if we were a contender in a couple years and the Leafs delayed Matthews coming back weeks so they could field a roster 12M over the salary cap for the playoffs. Blatant circumvention.
Not sure that would fly for the player or the team mates to be honest. I'm playing 82 games busting my ass for 2 M and AM gets to play just hte playoffs for 10 M AND takes my ice time? Hell no.

Roster of 23+ guys, you'll have a snitch. Plus, if player isn't practicing full load with the team for 6 months, he'll be hell out of shape for playoffs, unless he comes back 2+ months in advance.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ignoring that the playoffs ended in September and Kucherov got surgery in late December (we're supposed to believe he only started feeling pain well after the playoffs), logically if there was even the slightest possibility Kucherov could have come back 4 months into the season the Lightning should have dealt 9.5M worth of players in the off-season to accommodate his salary. Otherwise they would have risked being put in a terrible position by having to deal Killorn + another guy (likely Cirelli/Sergachev) to clear that cap in the middle-late part of the season.

It's completely obvious that Kucherov has been ready to play for weeks, if not a month or two and they pretended he was too injured to play to circumvent the cap. Now Tampa gets to field 90M worth of players while other contenders had to abide by the 81.5M cap. It's a joke.

They should have been forced to trade several good players to get cap compliant but the NHL failed to enforce the rules as they were intended. No reason why teams should be forced to obey the cap in the regular season and not worry at all about it in the playoffs.
He reported that he begun feeling the discomfort December 3rd while training and the procedure was done December 20th. It’s the same thing Point had done in the spring of 2019 which caused him to miss the start of the season. Kucherov only had one hip done whereas Point had both. It’s not a conspiracy it’s blind luck.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He reported that he begun feeling the discomfort December 3rd while training and the procedure was done December 20th. It’s the same thing Point had done in the spring of 2019 which caused him to miss the start of the season. Kucherov only had one hip done whereas Point had both. It’s not a conspiracy it’s blind luck.

I wouldn't mind having some sort of clause LTIR are ineligible for playoffs unless you clear the cap space for them on the last dgame of the season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure that would fly for the player or the team mates to be honest. I'm playing 82 games busting my ass for 2 M and AM gets to play just hte playoffs for 10 M AND takes my ice time? Hell no.

Roster of 23+ guys, you'll have a snitch. Plus, if player isn't practicing full load with the team for 6 months, he'll be hell out of shape for playoffs, unless he comes back 2+ months in advance.

Kucherov being a team player saved them from having to deal his buddies Killorn and likely Cirelli/Sergachev to get cap compliant.

This isn't something that's going to happen every season, only in rare situations. Tampa was in one of those rare situations where it paid off for them to delay having their star player return.

Kucherov missing most of the season and having to trade away Killorn and Cirelli/Sergachev to get cap compliant to play him in the last 10 or so games, or delay his return until game 1 of the playoffs and getting to keep a young star + Killorn and spend 10M more on their team than their competitors?

Easy choice. I mean this is a team that spent a 1st + more to rent Savard for the playoffs. What is the value to them to keep a young star + Killorn for the entire year and the playoffs? Certainly more than getting Kucherov some ice during garbage time when the Lightning are already solidly in the playoffs.

Yeah I just don't believe it.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Kucherov being a team player saved them from having to deal his buddies Killorn and likely Cirelli/Sergachev to get cap compliant.

This isn't something that's going to happen every season, only in rare situations. Tampa was in one of those rare situations where it paid off for them to delay having their star player return.

Kucherov missing most of the season and having to trade away Killorn and Cirelli/Sergachev to get cap compliant to play him in the last 10 or so games, or delay his return until game 1 of the playoffs and getting to keep a young star + Killorn and spend 10M more on their team than their competitors?

Easy choice. I mean this is a team that spent a 1st + more to rent Savard for the playoffs. What is the value to them to keep a young star + Killorn for the entire year and the playoffs? Certainly more than getting Kucherov some ice during garbage time when the Lightning are already solidly in the playoffs.

Yeah I just don't believe it.
I believe the injury occurred in December but he started skating March 12th so 2 months to get “game ready” is bullshit.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A game for Bennett, nothing for McDonagh. DOPS is a joke.

I must have missed the McDonagh incident, what did he do?

I did not think they would suspend Bennet after he essentially cost the Panthers the game. The DoPS is a gongshow...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I must have missed the McDonagh incident, what did he do?

I did not think they would suspend Bennet after he essentially cost the Panthers the game. The DoPS is a gongshow...
McDonough hit Duclair from behind. He got 2 for it but it could have been 5. Not suspension worthy.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
McDonough hit Duclair from behind. He got 2 for it but it could have been 5. Not suspension worthy.

Thanks, got a look at it.

Hard to say it isn't suspension worthy while Bennet's was.... Bennet charged so they aren't quite the same but I'm not impressed.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
lol i can't stop watching this

Poor Lazar. Didn't even get the puck out of the zone either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad