Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Central is going to be tough one.

1) Avs
2) Jets
3) Dallas
4-7) Chicago, Blues, Wild and Preds
8) Arizona

The Avs are obviously the best team, however I think the Jets, Blues and Dallas aren't that far apart. 2nd in the Central is up for grabs for the team with the least amount of injuries, the most lucky team or the team that will improve their roster the most next couple of months.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Yea, I'm not sold on the Jets at all. If Conner Hellybuck struggles or gets hurt, that team will sink faster then the Titanic.

There are a lot of questions about goaltending for Dallas too. Bishop sounds like he's potentially finished. Holtby is not the player he was back in Washington and Khodbin doesn't scare me at all.

Reactions: Meatball

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yea, I'm not sold on the Jets at all. If Conner Hellybuck struggles or gets hurt, that team will sink faster then the Titanic.

There are a lot of questions about goaltending for Dallas too. Bishop sounds like he's potentially finished. Holtby is not the player he was back in Washington and Khodbin doesn't scare me at all.
You can say that about most teams. How will we look if Husso has to play every night?

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Seeing all of these defenceman signing new contracts - like Jones and Hamilton for example both are #1 defenceman and got no movement clauses. Everytime one signs I get more and more angry at Armstrong over Pietrangelo, it was one of the biggest blunders ever. Until the Blues find another #1 defenceman they won't be winning any Stanley Cups anytime soon. I can't get over Doug Armstrong putting his personal beliefs over the betterment of the team.

Reactions: Ranksu

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Seeing all of these defenceman signing new contracts - like Jones and Hamilton for example both are #1 defenceman and got no movement clauses. Everytime one signs I get more and more angry at Armstrong over Pietrangelo, it was one of the biggest blunders ever. Until the Blues find another #1 defenceman they won't be winning any Stanley Cups anytime soon. I can't get over Doug Armstrong putting his personal beliefs over the betterment of the team.
I still can't believe Coke thought it would be a good idea to come out with a new formula. What a stupid idea!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well, you only draft franchise RHD, but ofc if you got lucky at UFA market.

Majority of time you get top 5 NHl dmens by drafting.

To draft you need to suck first. We are far away from it.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I strongly believe the majority of these top dollar Defenceman contracts being thrown around this offseason are atrocious.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I strongly believe the majority of these top dollar Defenceman contracts being thrown around this offseason are atrocious.

I look at the Jones, Nurse and Werenski contracts and just cringe. Hamilton actually hit UFA and came in cheaper with less term... And I think his contract is going to be an overpay.

I think the 2 contracts given out to dmen that won't be regretted by the end are the Makar and Pelech extensions. Makar is one of the few Dmen I don't view as unreasonable to be paying 8+ AAV to - most other dmen making that much, woof... Doughty, Subban, Karlsson none really stood out as being worth their contracts wowing me as being the best player in that position in their rink most nights... Frequently being out shone by another dman making less on their own team.

I hope Parayko sees the Pelech extension as his comparable, because if he wants 9 AAV, he's hitting free agency or getting traded by DA...

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
The Makar contract is as close to a slam dunk as you can have. With the League trending the way it is, he's going to win multiple Norris trophies before it's all said and done.....as long as he stays healthy.

I think the Werenski contract will be fine, Columbus needed a win (keeping someone homegrown). The Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse contracts are going to look awful maybe even as soon as next year.

I think Hamilton will be worth the contract for at least the first four years. After that it's anyone's guess.

When looking to resign Parayko, the Pelech contract is the baseline with some extra since Parayko is a bit better offensively. Unless he blows up this year (Which I doubt since he gets almost zero PP time) he should be coming in on a contract worth 7M or less.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Makar contract is as close to a slam dunk as you can have. With the League trending the way it is, he's going to win multiple Norris trophies before it's all said and done.....as long as he stays healthy.

I think the Werenski contract will be fine, Columbus needed a win (keeping someone homegrown). The Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse contracts are going to look awful maybe even as soon as next year.

I think Hamilton will be worth the contract for at least the first four years. After that it's anyone's guess.

When looking to resign Parayko, the Pelech contract is the baseline with some extra since Parayko is a bit better offensively. Unless he blows up this year (Which I doubt since he gets almost zero PP time) he should be coming in on a contract worth 7M or less.
I think Parayko's contract will be 8-9.5mill.$ AAV range. Seems to be that player which has last year of their contract they overperfrom their normal level so we could see potentially see Parayko play his best games coming season which isn't bad for team, but it will be problematic for Army find cheap contract. This off-season dmens contracts tells it will be more realistic that Parayko will walk for nothing, Highly doubt Army will give anything near as reasonable AAV for Parayko. Lean on he will walk next off-season.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
With their signing of Ross Colton today, the Lightning now have a roster of 13/7/2 and $9,045 of cap space to start the season once Seabrook is added to LTIR. Cutting it fine.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Jesus... Minnesota can kiss any hopes of being relevant anytime soon goodbye if they lose Kaprisov overseas.

I get that Guerin needs to be cautious he doesn't walk Kirill to UFA with the deal and try not to hamstring himself with the cap, especially in light of the Suter & Parise buyouts costing them 12.7-14.7m in dead cap for 2022-2025... But if Guerin lets an RFA dismantle his club's future he's out of a job.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Like Strickland'd tweet, it's a bluff from Kaprizov's camp to force Minnesota into accepting a deal that brings him to UFA status as opposed to a 7/8 year deal. They should sign him to whatever deal he is willing to accept, and if they feel he'll bolt in free agency at the end of the deal, start dangling to get the best possible deal over the next couple years.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Like Strickland'd tweet, it's a bluff from Kaprizov's camp to force Minnesota into accepting a deal that brings him to UFA status as opposed to a 7/8 year deal. They should sign him to whatever deal he is willing to accept, and if they feel he'll bolt in free agency at the end of the deal, start dangling to get the best possible deal over the next couple years.

Tarasenko has the same agent - so, not surprising

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

IIRC the KHL isn't a hard cap so teams can pay to the league to go over it. A lot of the contract can also be bonuses that don't count against the cap.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
IIRC the KHL isn't a hard cap so teams can pay to the league to go over it. A lot of the contract can also be bonuses that don't count against the cap.
I don’t think he will go to khl, but strick is naive if he thinks khl isn’t an option bc of their rules. Khl would love him and won’t let salary cap stop them.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and Thallis

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t think he will go to kohl, but strick is naive if he thinks khl isn’t an option bc of their rules. Khl would love him and won’t let salary cap stop them.
He'd 100% get cash under the table. It's an obvious negotiation tactic though.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad