Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
@Andy99

Had 10 minutes to kill and hit HockeyDB lol
So just for fun, since 2012, the Stars for example have picked 78 times comparend to us with 60 picks.

They picked 13st round picks and 12 2nd round picks in that span.

We picked 5 times in the 1st round and 10 times in the 2nd round.

The draft class that the Stars pretty much killed everyone was in 2017 were they picked Heiskanen at #3, Oettinger at 26 and Robertson at 39.

That's the year JR traded for Reaves and our 1st round pick #31 overall. Maybe we would have drafted Robertson, we will never know.

At the end of the day it's kind of hard when you trade all your picks away, that's why I believe you need to have a great balance of both buying and selling like most teams have done the last few years. We can't draft anyone if we trade them for Granlund type players.... Oh and the Stars have another beauty coming in the 2nd round in Stankoven drafted at 47, but we didn't talk until #58 and got Broz.

As much as people want to be buyers and go all in, doesn't work that way anymore in my opinion, need a strong balance of both and know when it's time to sell like Zucker, Dumo heck even Jarry!!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
“Dallas is probably the best drafting team going right now so if you compare just about any team to them they’re going to look bad.

However, they also put young guys in large roles. Who knows what a guy like Puustinen would do if given a few games of top 6 time in the NHL. Sullivan literally said they base their call ups on the mindset that all bottom 6 forwards have to be able to PK. You’re not going to foster an environment for skill players to develop with that kind of system.”

commenting on this from the previous thread….the Pens have to be a bottom five drafting team over the past decade, but yeah, when I say this, it’s not meant to excuse our genius coach with a lifetime contract…it would have been nice to see 20 games of Puusy and Hallander this past season and DOC getting more than 8 min a night next to Carter lol

@Andy99

So just for fun, since 2012, the Stars for example have picked 78 times comparend to us with 60 picks.

The draft class that the Stars pretty much killed everyone was in 2017 were they picked Heiskanen at #3, Oettinger at 26 and Robertson at 39.

That's the year JR traded for Reaves and our 1st round pick #31 overall. Maybe we would have drafted Robertson, we will never know.

At the end of the day it's kind of hard when you trade all your picks away, that's why I believe you need to have a great balance of both buying and selling like most teams have done the last few years. We can't draft anyone if we trade them for Granlund type players.... Oh and the Stars have another beauty coming in the 2nd round in Stankoven drafted at 47, but we didn't talk until #58 and got Broz.

As much as people want to be buyers and go all in, doesn't work that way anymore in my opinion, need a strong balance of both and know when it's time to sell like Zucker, Dumo heck even Jarry!!

agree but we still didn’t do enough with what we had…let’s face it

Reactions: Beau Knows

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
agree but we still didn’t do enough with what we had…let’s face it
Yes and know, like I said it's hard to judge especially considering all the plyers doing well were all drafted before the penguins even had a chance to talk. Hopefully we are a little more careful with our picks going forward and still remain competitive

Reactions: Andy99

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Man... where to start do you are the Leafs?

- It's hard to say who is under-performing more on that top line - Marner or Matthews.

- They aren't moving on from Tavares, at least not without including premium assets.

- Nylander is pretty valuable, but he's been their most consistent performer throughout their failures.

- Other than Justin Holl and Erik Gustafsson, they're trotting out the same group of defensemen for next season.

- Their goaltenders were good... when healthy.

- Keefe should go. He's had four opportunities to show what he can do with this group. I'm not saying he's done as an NHL coach, but he's done what he can do in Toronto.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
@Andy99

The Stars also missed the playoffs 6 times since 2012, so it's a whole lot easier to not trade away picks and justify trading away roster players.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oilers fans arguing that their team full of 100-point scorers is less deep than the 2009 Penguins is giving me so much joy.
They definitely, as an organization, don't know how to spread the wealth. They should have traded Nuge and Nurse before paying them to get cheap depth that can play up and down the lineup.

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
Foegele-Draisaitl-Hyman
McLeod-RNH-Janmark
Kostin-Bjugstad-Ryan

or something. Put one of Kane or RNH in the bottom six and make McDavid and Draisaitl carry a mid winger.

Stop playing McDavid on the PK. Stop playing Draisaitl on the PK. Stop chasing points. Stop diving so much that the refs ignore a high stick w/ blood because you took 4 blatant dives in the 15 minutes preceding. Stop playing Drai and McDavid together after one period apart.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Man the guys Sid and Geno dragged around in 09. Edmonton has like 3 guys more skilled in their top 6 than we did. And that’s not counting McDavid or Drai.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The main board thread discussing the 09 Pens defense would make you think they were all stars that year

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

"Options include moving to Houston, QC, Portland, KC..."

I’m convinced at this point they’ll let them play roller hockey in a street somewhere in Arizona before moving them.

game-on-waynes.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It's crazy how the same thing is happening.. in 2023.. as when I was following the Coyotes relocation drama on this board in 2011. Writing has been on the wall for 12 years already.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
At this point it seems like the league is clinging onto the hope that Matthews walks in FA and goes to the Coyotes. That seems like the only thing that can save them.

Also if anyone wants undisputable proof that the lottery isnt rigged, look at the Matthews draft. Coyotes had the 7th best odds at Matthews. Getting the hometown superstar would have changed everything for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad