Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The 12 NMC NTC contracts and having most of your cap space eaten by 4 forwards and 1 dman is a mismanagement problem.
You have some of the highest paid contracts in the league, why the heck are you givng NMC's with it? Why does pajama boy, who only wanted to play in Toronto, have a NMC?! Why does Calle Jarnkrok have any form of NTC?!!

SouthNash

Oct 25, 2014
Is it just me or are the hit totals ( and the brutality of some) in this years playoffs really high? That Rempe hit on whoever that was...Geez I'm surprised the head didn"t explode! Now i like a good hit like the rest but I'm waking up sore from cringing so much!!:laugh:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Our team isn't a whole lot different to be honest. We have the top line, a couple of noticeable players, and a bunch of plugs filling holes. We do have a goalie and a great 2-way D, but they don't always show up.
Yeah but we didn't tank for several years and have expectations in making cup runs. Ours is that way because we are in transition and frankly even with that our depth is still better than Toronto.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Wow Hellebuyck got shelled again.
Will be intriguing to see if they start Brossoit in game 5.

Can't imagine how hollow the Vezina is gonna feel after a playoff series like this.
At this point, MacKinnon and the boys are just bouncing the rubble.

(That shot Namestnikov took to the face was ugly.)

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Our team is just f***ing cursed.

The NYR player shoots through 2 Caps players and it goes into the empty net. Sissons had no one between him and the net and he hits the post.

At least we aren't the first team eliminated.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Florida up 3-1 on Tampa with less than 6 to go. I’m sitting here thinking ‘don’t let up guys, anything can happen!’ Florida scores. 4-1.

Yeah this most recent Preds loss is gonna take awhile to scar over.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just looked up the trade and the 2nd round pick is for this year. So, the Lightning being eliminated last night improves that pick for the Preds. It'll probably be around pick #52 when it could've been as low as #64 if the Lightning had won the Cup.

Also, Stamkos is a UFA and may not be returning, which could mean that the Lightning won't be as good next year, the year that their 1st rounder goes to the Preds (assuming that the Lightning aren't so bad that the pick becomes protected).

So, that trade is looking even better for the Preds than it did a year ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Preds Partisan

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
His production and role on the team was covered by a handful of redundant players on the Preds roster, so literally nothing was lost on the Preds end of the deal. Unbelievable to get something for nothing.

Although, as I was discussing the other day with some fellow fans, these things balance out because the Preds traded Ekholm who definitely would have had a place on this team as the D is currently constructed. Won big on Jeannot, but lost on Ekholm short term as this team ended up being a playoff team.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Looks like Jets are going to be done.
Jets allowed 28 goals in 5 games, and are the first team in NHL history to allow 5+ goals in each of their first 5 games to begin a postseason.

Yikes

It is fascinating- the Jets finished ahead of the Avs- went 3-0 against them in the regular season outscoring them 17-4. And just two weeks ago beat them 7-0 on the road.

And yet none of that means anything- the playoffs are just a different beast......

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Jets allowed 28 goals in 5 games, and are the first team in NHL history to allow 5+ goals in each of their first 5 games to begin a postseason.

Yikes

It is fascinating- the Jets finished ahead of the Avs- went 3-0 against them in the regular season outscoring them 17-4. And just two weeks ago beat them 7-0 on the road.

And yet none of that means anything- the playoffs are just a different beast......
Its why on the main boards when the playoffs started all of those people that kept pointing to our season series with Vancouver I kept telling them it was a silly barometer. The teams you face in the regular season often aren't in he same place come playoff time.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Its why on the main boards when the playoffs started all of those people that kept pointing to our season series with Vancouver I kept telling them it was a silly barometer. The teams you face in the regular season often aren't in he same place come playoff time.
Season series can sometimes be telling. Just depends when those games happened. If we were facing WPG in the first round, you might be able to look into it. We had 2 games against them in the last month of regular season play. Both teams already made their post deadline adjustments.

Now us vs Vancouver... our last game vs Vancouver was Dec 19, 2023. A whole heck of alot has happened between the playoffs and then for both teams. A fair amount of roster movement in Nashville as well

Reactions: weeze

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It seemed an omen after they dropped 5 in him Game 1, in a game where Winnipeg seemed to dominate.
Turning Ryan Johansen into Mittlestadt is a large improvement then you add all the beef they did to the bottom with Duhaime and Trenin. Sure they lost Byram but they replaced him this season with Walker. Their cap next season is totally screwed if landeskog comes back

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I just looked up the trade and the 2nd round pick is for this year. So, the Lightning being eliminated last night improves that pick for the Preds. It'll probably be around pick #52 when it could've been as low as #64 if the Lightning had won the Cup.

Also, Stamkos is a UFA and may not be returning, which could mean that the Lightning won't be as good next year, the year that their 1st rounder goes to the Preds (assuming that the Lightning aren't so bad that the pick becomes protected).

So, that trade is looking even better for the Preds than it did a year ago.

I think best-case scenario for us is that the pick is protected - I can't imagine Tampa will be that much better 2 years from now versus 1 year.

If we're lucky, the following events could happen:
  • Tampa takes a step back next year and misses the playoffs, and their pick is at the bottom of the top 10.
  • Because of the top-10 protection, the pick slides to the following year.
  • They are even worse the following year and we get a really high pick, a la Colorado with Ottawa.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Man the PLD trade and contract just looks like a giant dog turd for LA. Their goaltending duo Talbot and big save Dave also didnt do them any favors. Wonder what their offseason plans are.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Seems insane but I wonder if they consider buying him out this offseason. If they buy him out before his birthday this offseason it’s only 1/3 of the contract value but after that it goes up to 2/3. It would be a cap penalty for 14 years so I’m guessing they hold on and hope he turns around but I’d seriously consider it if I were them especially given the expected cap increases.

Reactions: Osprey

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Seems insane but I wonder if they consider buying him out this offseason. If they buy him out before his birthday this offseason it’s only 1/3 of the contract value but after that it goes up to 2/3. It would be a cap penalty for 14 years so I’m guessing they hold on and hope he turns around but I’d seriously consider it if I were them especially given the expected cap increases.
What's the number per year if they bought him out now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad