Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Still crazy that Dallas wins the West, 1 point out of the President's trophy- and their reward is facing the defending Cup champ Knights. Meanwhile, Edmonton finishes 5th in the West and gets the LAK. I know LA finished ahead of Vegas but I don't think anyone in their right mind would rather face them over Vegas.

And even crazier even if we had the 1/8 format this still would have been the matchup.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Still crazy that Dallas wins the West, 1 point out of the President's trophy- and their reward is facing the defending Cup champ Knights. Meanwhile, Edmonton finishes 5th in the West and gets the LAK. I know LA finished ahead of Vegas but I don't think anyone in their right mind would rather face them over Vegas.

And even crazier even if we had the 1/8 format this still would have been the matchup.
With the newly added Stone! Those Central matchups are crazy!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
With the newly added Stone! Those Central matchups are crazy!
That a team which started out at the Cap could add Hertl, Hanifin, and Mantha at the TDL... that'd be quite encouraging to me as a fan... they always find a way. They don't accept limitations that maybe some teams do, and as much as it frustrates me how fortunate that franchise has been, I have to admit they have also done a great job of proactively pushing the boundaries at the same time. They got a Cup doing it. I can admit I'm jealous of their aggressiveness. It would probably blow up in the face of most teams that tried that stuff, but they've pulled it off. :(

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, I respect the heck out of Vegas for being aggressive. Contending teams are usually way too conservative with their picks and prospects and don't want to "mortgage" the future.

When your window is open, you push all the chips in the middle and hope for the best. I'm glad Vegas got rewarded for their risks, maybe that encourages others to do the same as well.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Gotta wonder how some teams with iffy goaltending are going to react this offseason if their goalies completely crap the bed.

Oettinger 4G on 15 shots
Talbot 7G on 44 shots
Skinner 4G on 37 shots
Andersen 3G on 12 shots
Georgiev 7G on 23 shots
Then there's toronto if they get knocked out and the various non playoff teams that wanted to make the playoffs where goaltending failed them (Ottawa, New Jersey, etc)

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
That a team which started out at the Cap could add Hertl, Hanifin, and Mantha at the TDL... that'd be quite encouraging to me as a fan... they always find a way. They don't accept limitations that maybe some teams do, and as much as it frustrates me how fortunate that franchise has been, I have to admit they have also done a great job of proactively pushing the boundaries at the same time. They got a Cup doing it. I can admit I'm jealous of their aggressiveness. It would probably blow up in the face of most teams that tried that stuff, but they've pulled it off. :(
Yes, they went out and grabbed Jack Eichel with his neck issue when a lot of teams stayed away. Looks like they made the right call on that one so far.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yes, they went out and grabbed Jack Eichel with his neck issue when a lot of teams stayed away. Looks like they made the right call on that one so far.
It was risky deal, and honestly both teams have gotten what they wanted out of the deal. Tuch has turned into a really nice piece in his own right exploding after he was traded to Buffalo.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think it's something the NHL will end up needing to address simply because of fan backlash, especially if Vegas wins it again this year. That will be essentially 3 years in a row where a team won doing it.

Eventually it's going to show up in fan interest and ticket sales.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Lol, Jeannot healthy scratch in TB. Still can't believe TB gave up what they did in the trade, then signed that worthless bag of dung for two more years to double down on that mistake.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
That save by Bobrovsky was pretty freaking insane.

Here it is for those that didn’t see it.

That's a play where you have to keep the puck on the ice.

When the goalie is facing the wrong way, the only thing they can do is throw their upper body in front of the net. Dude basically shot it right into the only place Bob could cover.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Lol, Jeannot healthy scratch in TB. Still can't believe TB gave up what they did in the trade, then signed that worthless bag of dung for two more years to double down on that mistake.
His playstyle was always going to take a toll on him but he was never going to be able to replicate his goal production from 20-21 without alot of luck or just putting a ton of pucks on net. Classic example of listen on everyone.

I wouldnt say he is worthless. They just majorly overpaid then signed him for 1.25 million or more too much per year. Just so happens we had a sortof inhouse replacement in McCarron but he isnt the total Jeannot experience.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
His playstyle was always going to take a toll on him but he was never going to be able to replicate his goal production from 20-21 without alot of luck or just putting a ton of pucks on net. Classic example of listen on everyone.

I wouldnt say he is worthless. They just majorly overpaid then signed him for 1.25 million or more too much per year. Just so happens we had a sortof inhouse replacement in McCarron but he isnt the total Jeannot experience.
The herd line was far more than the some of its parts. Which informs why Trotz was willing to pull the trigger to send Trenin somewhere else.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I still like Jeannot but he has to be used in the right spot. I'd take him over Sherwood in that role.
I don't get the Sherwood hate. The guy is a constant motor on the ice. A pest to the other team. Played 32 games and scored 13 points in 23, played 68 games and scored 27 points this season so he doubled his production. Was a +17 while only getting 12:10 min a game.

I liked Jeannot a lot but mostly for his ability to take up for his teammates. Other teams seemed to be a little more tentative when we had him because he would fight anyone and won almost all of his fights. But when you do the math, they both score at the same rate of .40 points a game. They just had different roles and did different things on the ice.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't get the Sherwood hate. The guy is a constant motor on the ice. A pest to the other team. Played 32 games and scored 13 points in 23, played 68 games and scored 27 points this season so he doubled his production. Was a +17 while only getting 12:10 min a game.

I liked Jeannot a lot but mostly for his ability to take up for his teammates. Other teams seemed to be a little more tentative when we had him because he would fight anyone and won almost all of his fights. But when you do the math, they both score at the same rate of .40 points a game. They just had different roles and did different things on the ice.
Sherwoood had 3 of the worst plays in the game last night but also had a EN goal.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Sherwoood had 3 of the worst plays in the game last night but also had a EN goal.
I was fit to be tied when he fanned that soft pass in the direction of the boards at his own blue line. It was clear everyone needed a change and instead they got hemmed in with dead legs for another 90 seconds at least.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I was fit to be tied when he fanned that soft pass in the direction of the boards at his own blue line. It was clear everyone needed a change and instead they got hemmed in with dead legs for another 90 seconds at least.
And that was his 2nd turnover or bad play in that shift. He also overskated the puck which led to chance against.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I imagine if i go rewatch the game again I can find where other Preds had just as many or more mistakes. I am not a Woody homer but I like the guys motor and grit. He is none stop on the ice all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad