Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sounds like Brendan Smiths getting another NHL contract after all
I wouldn’t rule it out.

But I also think there’s a good chance no one signs him or that he’s just a PTO somewhere. He’s 35 and 35 year olds don’t get signed very frequently, unless they’re better than Smith is at this point or a much bigger name.

He’s not Chara where he can keep playing as long as he wants and someone will keep signing him well into his 40s. Maybe he gets a contract and maybe he doesn’t.

I’d have to think other older guys will get a contract before him. Maybe even Giordano. Maybe this is when Lou signs Giordano.

Reactions: My3Sons and Dialamo

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don’t think Ruff is great or anything obviously, but I bet a ruff coached team of Lindy guys is better than a Ruff coached team of not lindy guys
Buffalo has a bunch of speedy guys who will be able to cover the ground Ruff's system demands, but the youth and lack of experience playing it will hinder them at times like it did NJ.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Buffalo has a bunch of speedy guys who will be able to cover the ground Ruff's system demands, but the youth and lack of experience playing it will hinder them at times like it did NJ.
it’ll be an interesting case study to see if Ruff’s breakout plan is still “give the puck to a young superstar every time and ask them to beat 3+ forecheckers in the neutral zone” or whether that was specific to a team with Bratt and Jack Hughes on it.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

absolutely terrible just terrible
fury
venom
outlaws
blizzard
they just all sound like 90s roller hockey against the ny/nj rock n rollers!

yetis are extremely lame but at least not as bad as the names above.

the list is so bad i actually really think utah hockey club is the best name on there

My3Sons

Sponsor
it’ll be an interesting case study to see if Ruff’s breakout plan is still “give the puck to a young superstar every time and ask them to beat 3+ forecheckers in the neutral zone” or whether that was specific to a team with Bratt and Jack Hughes on it.
Buffalo has some speedy young skaters that will transition well. Dahlin Peterka maybe Cozens. The bigger issue will be if he has them swarm and fly the zone. That leads to disconnects as we saw.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I can let the cat out of the bag now.

My longtime Sharks friend/contact is Ray Tufts. Head athletic trainer.

He's no longer with the team after 28 years.

He's the best in the business and that isn't just my opinion. He's highly regarded around the league.
I'm sure he will catch on elsewhere then. So Blackwood got pissed at him and forced him out?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm sure he will catch on elsewhere then. So Blackwood got pissed at him and forced him out?
Really what I think pushed it was Blackwood somehow lasting until almost March 1st before his first injury of the year. I think the deciding factor was Blackwood being injured an unavailable for the last 2 games of the season. He took the blame for that.

But seriously, I think this was coming for a while. I don't wanna publicly say too much about what just transpired. He was one of the longest tenured athletic trainers in the league. After the Rangers let go of Jim Ramsay last year (who Gorton immediately brought to Montreal) and the Hawks guy retired after 35 years, I think he was the current second longest tenured after the other Ray in St. Louis, who had I think a year longer with the Blues than Sharks Ray did in San Jose.

Ray was with the 49ers for quite a few years before the Sharks.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Really what I think pushed it was Blackwood somehow lasting until almost March 1st before his first injury of the year. I think the deciding factor was Blackwood being injured an unavailable for the last 2 games of the season. He took the blame for that.

But seriously, I think this was coming for a while. I don't wanna publicly say too much about what just transpired. He was one of the longest tenured athletic trainers in the league. After the Rangers let go of Jim Ramsay last year (who Gorton immediately brought to Montreal) and the Hawks guy retired after 35 years, I think he was the current second longest tenured after the other Ray in St. Louis, who had I think a year longer with the Blues than Sharks Ray did in San Jose.

How did you end up meeting this guy?

Reactions: Dialamo

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

There has to be something going on with the Sharks behind the scenes with the Quinn firing as well. It can't be performance based because the team they put together never had a chance. Really strange part is Quinn was a Grier hire so its not something simple like bringing in your own guys.

Reactions: Dialamo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There has to be something going on with the Sharks behind the scenes with the Quinn firing as well. It can't be performance based because the team they put together never had a chance. Really strange part is Quinn was a Grier hire so its not something simple like bringing in your own guys.
I think what may have done Quinn in was the fact the Sharks had what I believe is the lowest point total in an 82 game season since the second year 00-01 Atlanta Thrashers.

I think if they hit the 50 point barrier or won just 2-3 more games, maybe he stays for just one more year. I would bet he'd be gone after next year though. Most coaches don't get a fourth year after three straight years of no playoffs. It has happened a little in the past few years though, like Blashill in Detroit and DJ Smith (with lame duck owners) in Ottawa.

I also have to think those two 10 goal against games in a row back in October or November probably didn't help.

I was half thinking he'd be fired then.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think what may have done Quinn in was the fact the Sharks had what I believe is the lowest point total in an 82 game season since the second year 00-01 Atlanta Thrashers.

I think if they hit the 50 point barrier or won just 2-3 more games, maybe he stays for just one more year. I would bet he'd be gone after next year though. Most coaches don't get a fourth year after three straight years of no playoffs. It has happened a little in the past few years though, like Blashill in Detroit and DJ Smith (with lame duck owners) in Ottawa.

I also have to think those two 10 goal against games in a row back in October or November probably didn't help.

I was half thinking he'd be fired then.

Its around par for teams throwing the season. Slightly worse than the 2017 Avalanche and slightly better than the 2020 Red Wings. I don't know how you look at that roster and think you can make something out of it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its around par for teams throwing the season. Slightly worse than the 2017 Avalanche and slightly better than the 2020 Red Wings. I don't know how you look at that roster and think you can make something out of it.
You can't make anything out of that roster, it's really bad.

But I do think a few more wins/points buys him the last year on his deal, which is what he had left.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor

Hopefully he finds a landing spot he is happy with. I'm sure any bad team with new management starts turning over guys in off ice positions.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

If only there was a team with multiple mismanaged injuries this year who could use a competent medical professional, I’m racking my brain trying to think of one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad