Around the NHL, 2016-2017 Part II

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I guess it's the time of the year to rant about jersey colour variety.

Atlantic division is awful - 4 variants of red jerseys, 3 variants of blue jerseys and boring black. I understand that you can't change O6 teams, but do Florida and Ottawa really need red as a base colour? Why does Tampa use nearly the same shade of blue as Toronto?

Metropolitan isn't much better and there is 3 more reds and 3 more blues.

Meanwhile Central has a perfect spectre of colours and Pacific confidently places second. Total Western dominance.

Ottawas is cool or it could be (back before the lockout). Buffalo needs to change. Bad. Tampa needs to add black again

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
haha what a joke. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-marian-hossa-might-played-final-nhl-game/

more like hossa is allergic to playing hockey for $1m a year for the next 4 years

Have to think some clubs are not going to be happy about this and will push back against it, even if behind closed doors. It already begs two obvious questions: what part of the uniform contains something he's allergic to and why can't that part be specially made to accommodate his allergy? He clearly hasn't suffered from this "allergy" his whole career, so finding gear that works shouldn't be a problem.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'd claim allergies if Vegas picked me; their jerseys suuuuuck.

I don't feel like providing the pic, but you'll see. Oy.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I respectfully disagree. I like their kits.

No worries. I shant debate you on a subjective matter, as there is already enough rancor on this board to go round.

I'll say they didn't inspire the same level of nausea that Nashville and Carolina did when they unveiled there uniforms.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm surprised people are so shocked that Burns won over Karlsson. People seem to forget that voting is done in the regular season. Burns had back to back monster years, he deserved it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm surprised people are so shocked that Burns won over Karlsson. People seem to forget that voting is done in the regular season. Burns had back to back monster years, he deserved it.

I believe Karlsson should have won.

The Norris has had a hard time getting it right, heck Lidstrom won his last one as sort of an undeserved Norris. Of course he was the best D-man in the league from 97 on so they owed him a ton. But this is a tough one in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I liked Karlsson better this year (probably would have been my vote), although I think you could have made a good case for Hedman, and I think if he can produce like they offensively he should grab a handful over the nest 5 years or so.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I believe Karlsson should have won.

The Norris has had a hard time getting it right, heck Lidstrom won his last one as sort of an undeserved Norris. Of course he was the best D-man in the league from 97 on so they owed him a ton. But this is a tough one in my opinion.

I liked Karlsson better this year, although I think you could have made a good case for Hedman, and I think if he can produce like they offensively he should grab a handful over the nest 5 years or so.

I don't think it was a slam dunk that Burns won, but people on this board and others were using the word like 'shocked' and Karlsson was 'robbed', that's a little silly.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Meh, seemed like Burns had the first 2/3 of the season, Karlsson had the last 1/3, and then Karlsson's playoffs - irrelevant to the award - influenced the opinion further. Karlsson is the better defenseman overall but I think Burns dominated more of this season to be deserving.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hedman was better then both. Playoffs don't count if they did it's easily karlsson. Burns should be like 3rd place. He really fell off after the tdl of all star can't remember

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Don't quite understand the Hammer trade, but I definitely like the Panarin for Saad deal.

I'm a big fan of what Bowman is trying to do, we'll see if it works for them. I do agree now that the Kane/Toews deals are biting them, but I guess that's what 3 cups in 6 years gets you.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Don't quite understand the Hammer trade, but I definitely like the Panarin for Saad deal.

I'm a big fan of what Bowman is trying to do, we'll see if it works for them. I do agree now that the Kane/Toews deals are biting them, but I guess that's what 3 cups in 6 years gets you.

all about the future with both trades. essentially a mini rebuild

I think stan just put his job on the line but we'll see how it turns out.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

We will see if it works. The Cups look good but now the Kane and Toews deals are coming home to roost.

I won't be upset if it backfires.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I love saad but ya can't trade panarin. Oh well, I like whatever is bad for the hawks

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I love saad but ya can't trade panarin. Oh well, I like whatever is bad for the hawks

I think Saad is a better fit overall for the Hawks, it gets Toews a winger and Kane didn't need Panarin to be highly productive. You're getting a much more complete player back.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
guess the hawks need someone to make toews looks good again. as much as i hate crosby, toews is still the most overrated player in the nhl

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan

I dislike the Hawks also but I believe this makes the Jackets stronger. Since we are no longer in Chicago's division this messes us up more. As a person who wants a rebuild this is good...but as a fan this will make playing CBJ even more difficult.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think Saad is a better fit overall for the Hawks, it gets Toews a winger and Kane didn't need Panarin to be highly productive. You're getting a much more complete player back.

Panarin is soft as butter. Great RS player but playoffs I've watched two seasons now he's like a scared child. Pushing Hossa out is also a strong move. Watched many Hawks games this season and the poor guy is just over the hill. Lot of missed passes, lost possession etc. Not terrible but trending downward.

Astounding watching a GM who has standards for his team and willing to make tough calls striving for improvement. :)

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
For 10.5M AAV, they shouldn't need to trade Panarin to find you a winger..

Agree with that, but it doesn't really matter. Saad is better physically and defensively than Panarin, a better fit in the locker room and better with Toews. Toews needed to get 'fixed' and Kane didn't need Panarin, but both LOVE Saad. So seems like CBJ got the better offensive player which means Panarin is more 'valuable' but Saad was more valuable to the Hawks.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
chayka already a candidate for gm of the year to me. acquired, #1LD, #1C and starting goalie without giving much up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad