Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
So the Red Wing who grabbed his stick was just trying to help out? I think he forgot to let go.

The Red Wings guys were holding his stick. He got pissed and started yanking it to free it, and Bertuzzi was too stupid to let go before he got speared.

No i agree guys lol, I just think that Calvert's stick swing wasn't 100% unintentional. Bertuzzi acted like an ass clown in response. But watch the clip again and pay attention to Calvert's stick. Could just be me, but it looks like he could've prevented it but decided not to due to his current location.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I pretty much see the same, except it looks like he frees his stick, then gives some love...perhaps he thought the bench wouldn't love him back? All three should have gone to the box: "two minutes each, for hockeying".

I have no issue with the response, I think most people would do the same, in the moment. The better response, if restraint prevailed, would have been to sort it out on the next shift. But, like I said, men will be men and that's still apart of this game I love.

* After seeing the NHL Player Safety analysis, there is another punch I didn't see. That's no good, nor in concert with my post above.

Last edited:

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
What would constitute a lock out? Is this a disagreement between the union and the league? I guess, what I am asking, is why do lock outs generally happen? Looking around this place, a lot are forecasting a lock out in the near future, why is that?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Is this a disagreement between the union and the league?

The disagreements are usually over the CBA. When the CBA expires there's no agreement between the players union and the owners, thus the players are locked out.

Could be over any number of things, the amount of revenue the players get a cut of is often a huge sticking point.

If there was an active CBA and the players decided they didn't like it anymore or it was untenable and they decided to stop playing that would be a strike.

Reactions: SR

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seems to me that fight will be over the revenue split of European and Chinese streams as well as the revenue stream from digital media.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I just saw the hit Reeves put on Wilson. That helmet flying off reminded me of duck feathers flying in all directions when a duck gets shot.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What would constitute a lock out? Is this a disagreement between the union and the league? I guess, what I am asking, is why do lock outs generally happen? Looking around this place, a lot are forecasting a lock out in the near future, why is that?

The gap between what the players want and what the owners want being too wide causes a lockout. Once the agreement expires, the players don't get paid and the owners don't get revenue. There is no longer a functional agreement to play hockey. So it's really a matter of who blinks first at that point and who has the leverage. (The owners have the vast majority of the leverage).

Things seem to be going pretty good for the players, so they're dumb if they try another lockout. How much of your paycheck sits in escrow isn't going to matter if you aren't getting a paycheck. There aren't many hills for them to die on this time around. The cap has been good for everyone.

Shane Doan played a role in ending the last one iirc.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not entirely sold on Capo but i hope I'm wrong. And i realllllllly like Sprong as a player

Capo has 42 points in 72 AHL games and is +20, he has top 4 upside. He just doesn't get much love because his junior team was terrible. I'm not trading that for a gamble winger. That's the sort of trade you make if you are Anaheim and draft/develop so well you have guys you can take shots with.

Reactions: Heldig and RABBIT

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

A lockout/strike is generally a result of at least one of the sides having overvalued their position. It's a bad square in a chicken-game. In general, one of of the sides will lose a strike/lockout more than the other, and my impression is it's the players who has ended up losing, meaning they have overvalued their position, and underestimated the owners acceptance of a conflict.

There is no cure for stupid. Conflicts are stupid, but there is no way we can avoid a conflict if the players union don't grasp the owners will lock them out if they ask for to much.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think there will be a lockout.

Owners are content at 50/50. Why shut down for a percentage point or two.

Owners may want to reduce term on contracts or limit signing bonus. That being said they have been offering to extend the current terms for years to prevent a lockout.

Players hate escrow. Ok but to change it means a hard cap so they won’t go down that road.

Players want Olympics.

This seems pretty straight forward negotiation.

Reactions: Mosby

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think he's strong enough mentally to keep it up. He's always had talent. Looked good at first for us, too. Good for him. Hope he's figured it out. But goalies are voodoo. Most are a roller coaster to some degree. It's why I'm not all aboard the Hill train either and why the six-million dollar man had to go.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's a different game at any position when you're surrounded by elite talent. The Lightnings 7th or 8th best player would probably be the Coyotes best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad