Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would not be surprised if Marleau goes South with an incentive or lives on Robidas Island next year.

Maybe. I can see how his contract would be appealing once the Leafs pay the bonus. But why would he waive to leave a Cup contender?

Robidas Island is not a factor for Marleau as his contract can't be buried. He signed it over age 35. His entire contract counts vs. the cap.

Not to mention that this team still needs improvements. Can't do that without any cap space.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Maybe. I can see how his contract would be appealing once the Leafs pay the bonus. But why would he waive to leave a Cup contender?

Robidas Island is not a factor for Marleau as his contract can't be buried. He signed it over age 35. His entire contract counts vs. the cap.
Robidas Island is LTIR and is available regardless of age. Robidas was also signed after 35 I think??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Right!? That’s what I’m sayin’!
The problem with throwing out the max offer is that it just might work? Then you are back to still being a team hemmoraging money and no cash to make the roster great from either the cash standpoint or the Cap stand point. There are many smarter moves for a team to make. Max contract just doesn't make sense. If I'm a GM in bad need of a number 1 center this summer Point is my target. You can pay him large and still have plenty of Cap room available for other improvements.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The problem with throwing out the max offer is that it just might work? Then you are back to still being a team hemmoraging money and no cash to make the roster great from either the cash standpoint or the Cap stand point. There are many smarter moves for a team to make. Max contract just doesn't make sense. If I'm a GM in bad need of a number 1 center this summer Point is my target. You can pay him large and still have plenty of Cap room available for other improvements.
For the Yotes and their financial position they can't do any such OS. But a new owner could, but won't. TO, like Edmonton did with McDavid, will probably have to offer AM the max or close to it. Not only is it almost impossible to trade for a 1C, it is even more impossible to get a generational talent like AM. IF the Yotes, with new ownership, did such a thing and were successful, the team would be a success overnight. Mind you, there are probably other less risky ways for this team to become a success.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Just watched a piece on Sportsnet of Torts having a long one on one discussion with Duclair and Friday at practice. He scratched him for Saturday game and Duclair responded with a good game Monday. I think he will always be a player who will need to be coddled and prodded and honestly I don't think he is good enough to reward a coach for that amount of work.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

He is going to need this:

bomber_hat_sheepskin_russian_full_fur.jpg

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Just watched a piece on Sportsnet of Torts having a long one on one discussion with Duclair and Friday at practice. He scratched him for Saturday game and Duclair responded with a good game Monday. I think he will always be a player who will need to be coddled and prodded and honestly I don't think he is good enough to reward a coach for that amount of work.

I see it different. I think it's great the coach is working with him and trying to motivate him to be better. That's his job. Duclair is putting up numbers. Does he need more development? Sure he does and that's exactly what the coach is doing. Calling him out in the media is a good kick in the ass. To me, this is an example of a good coach doing his job, nothing more.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I see it different. I think it's great the coach is working with him and trying to motivate him to be better. That's his job. Duclair is putting up numbers. Does he need more development? Sure he does and that's exactly what the coach is doing. Calling him out in the media is a good kick in the ass. To me, this is an example of a good coach doing his job, nothing more.
Of course It's good, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But I don't believe you will find many coaches who are willing to spend hours every week with one player in the hopes of getting him back to the 40 point area. There are just better ways to spend their time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Calling players out in the media isn't productive for the coach or the player long term. All coaches have tried to fix Duclair.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Oof.... can’t repost the tweet due to site rules but Stars ownership called out Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn for playing like “<bleeping> horse <bleep>”

:biglaugh:

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Oof.... can’t repost the tweet due to site rules but Stars ownership called out Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn for playing like “<bleeping> horse <bleep>”

:biglaugh:
Article in the Athletic, nice to see someone in power actually call out poor performance.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah right, if DT did this you and others would be calling out DT for doing this. I think Torts called him out as last resort. Duclair has little to no grey matter between the ears. To bad, I really liked the kid.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Calling players out in the media isn't productive for the coach or the player long term. All coaches have tried to fix Duclair.
I see no harm in calling out players. If these millionaires can handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Us fans pay a lot of money for these babies and I want to see them perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->