Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

"Jumps *INTO*"

Pettersson was completely stationary in the XY plane the whole time. The Oiler player went directly at him. By basic laws of geometry, a motion strictly in the Z direction can not go INTO someone in the XY plane. Unless they're saying Pettersson did some kind of goddamn shoryuken or something.

Well canucks were the better team and deserved that I think

Shame their fans represent the team poorly

No shame whatsoever in whatever it takes to send the Oilers golfing.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm old enough to remember people scoffing at the idea of Vanvouver hiring Tocchet. That franchise has had a huge turnaround, at least on the ice... without revamping their players very much. Makes me hopeful for what could happen here if we bring in the right coach

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm old enough to remember people scoffing at the idea of Vanvouver hiring Tocchet. That franchise has had a huge turnaround, at least on the ice... without revamping their players very much. Makes me hopeful for what could happen here if we bring in the right coach

It goes to show that it's very hard to rate the records and abilities of coaches of bad teams/orgs.

"Jumps *INTO*"

Pettersson was completely stationary in the XY plane the whole time. The Oiler player went directly at him. By basic laws of geometry, a motion strictly in the Z direction can not go INTO someone in the XY plane. Unless they're saying Pettersson did some kind of goddamn shoryuken or something.

No shame whatsoever in whatever it takes to send the Oilers golfing.

Yeah, that was a head scratching penalty.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm fine with a guy who puts up 150 points being one dimensional

Not sure when this push started to make every player "well rounded". Let the snipers snipe

I think it's more because he's the best player and sets the tone. Pittsburgh won multiple cups once Crosby mirrored great defense with his all world offense. If your best player is busting his butt defensively then the rest of the team is likely to follow suit. As is the Oilers best players play one dimensional offense which is what most of the rest of the team does.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think it's more because he's the best player and sets the tone. Pittsburgh won multiple cups once Crosby mirrored great defense with his all world offense. If your best player is busting his butt defensively then the rest of the team is likely to follow suit. As is the Oilers best players play one dimensional offense which is what most of the rest of the team does.
I look at Crosby as a generationally talented grinder. He's the exception, not the rule

I think that if an elite offensive player is using their talents to 100% of their ability, then the guys who specialize in defensive play can do that to 100% as well

We don't ask our guys who are not naturally adept at scoring to put up 40 goals a year and bemoan their "offensive ineptitude" when they don't. It's the same principle, but in reverse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I 100% did not want Tocchet here... it appears I was wrong

Man you think Mc David is bad 99 is worst I've ever seen. Wait 66 might have been worse.
To be fair, no one played D on that oilers team...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I look at Crosby as a generationally talented grinder. He's the exception, not the rule

I think that if an elite offensive player is using their talents to 100% of their ability, then the guys who specialize in defensive play can do that to 100% as well

We don't ask our guys who are not naturally adept at scoring to put up 40 goals a year and bemoan their "offensive ineptitude" when they don't. It's the same principle, but in reverse

That is fair. I don't think anyone is asking him to be a Selkie candidate but to put in some effort wouldn't be a bad thing. But the issues really have to do with team construction and goaltending. They have a very one dimensional d core that can't defend and a good many of their forwards can't defend either. So you have a one dimensional team that can only win by outscoring the opposition and capitalizing on the pp.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How can McDavid be so insanely elite offensively but so porous defensively?

He was never great defensively but yesterday was a pretty bad game compared to McDavid's usual game, at both ends.

I'm fine with a guy who puts up 150 points being one dimensional

Not sure when this push started to make every player "well rounded". Let the snipers snipe

Yep, same with a guy who puts up 50+ goals in a season. You can't get that production from any but the best players, the rest of the roster can make up for any deficiencies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That is fair. I don't think anyone is asking him to be a Selkie candidate but to put in some effort wouldn't be a bad thing. But the issues really have to do with team construction and goaltending. They have a very one dimensional d core that can't defend and a good many of their forwards can't defend either. So you have a one dimensional team that can only win by outscoring the opposition and capitalizing on the pp.
100%

If you have a guy like Mcdavid, maybe you should build a defense that can actually defend and a find a goalie that can make a few saves. They could be a dynasty like the 80s Oilers if they had found themselves a Fuhr. He didn't have to stop everything, just enough to win.

The other convo would be about how much offense it would cost Mcdavid at various levels of effort in the defensive zone and whether or not they offset each other. Would preventing two goals by working harder in the D zone fatigue him to a point where it meant that he's incapable of creating 2 goals? If so, what's the point?

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I watched all the replays of Vancouver's disallowed goal last and was convinced it crossed the line.

I'm looking at the highlights today of the disallowed goal and I still think it crossed the line. Surely somebody has to have the right tech equipment to produce a clear video which will embarrass the NHL into correcting this farce.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I watched all the replays of Vancouver's disallowed goal last and was convinced it crossed the line.

I'm looking at the highlights today of the disallowed goal and I still think it crossed the line. Surely somebody has to have the right tech equipment to produce a clear video which will embarrass the NHL into correcting this farce.

Goal line technology would work but the league does have crossbar cameras that are not provided to the broadcasters.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Goal line technology would work but the league does have crossbar cameras that are not provided to the broadcasters.
Would be cool if the refs got VR headsets instead of looking at that dinky iPad for reviews... then stream what the refs are looking at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad