Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Utah is going into its inaugural season simply known as “Utah”, with the team name, colours and jerseys to come later. They just don’t want to be rushed and end up with something they regret.

Does anybody else think that the Jets should have taken the same approach in 2011 (not with the name, but the logo and jerseys)? Or, is this just a weak excuse by the Utah franchise, copying the women’s league in poor preparation.

Personally, while I think the Jets’ jerseys are passable, I have always considered the logo a rush job and massive dissapointment.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wonder if the Leafs job is destined for Berube

I think he'd be the frontrunner, yeah.

Also I notoriously misread people but on a recent TNT broadcast when Bissonnette said something about Berube going to Toronto, Berube gave him a look like "Don't say anything yet"

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I would like a mime for the coaching job in Toronto. I think it would ad a certain “je ne sais quoi” to leafs coverage.

A mime should replace the green guys in Vancouver. Some real good playoff theatre.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Who in their rite mind would want PLD on their team????!!!! and he was picked to play for Team Canada!!!!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Utah is going into its inaugural season simply known as “Utah”, with the team name, colours and jerseys to come later. They just don’t want to be rushed and end up with something they regret.

Does anybody else think that the Jets should have taken the same approach in 2011 (not with the name, but the logo and jerseys)? Or, is this just a weak excuse by the Utah franchise, copying the women’s league in poor preparation.

Personally, while I think the Jets’ jerseys are passable, I have always considered the logo a rush job and massive dissapointment.
Jets have one of the best and most thought out logos in the league... if you're pushing for a franchise and finally get one - HOW do you not have your branding ready

A huge agency like they've contracted can create a slick identity within four months easy. Just seems bush league.

Buy the ECHL Grizzlies brand - there. Done. Probably cheaper than the year of ad agency market research they're about to pay for.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Jets have one of the best and most thought out logos in the league... if you're pushing for a franchise and finally get one - HOW do you not have your branding ready

A huge agency like they've contracted can create a slick identity within four months easy. Just seems bush league.

Buy the ECHL Grizzlies brand - there. Done. Probably cheaper than the year of ad agency market research they're about to pay for.
I believe we got the team back in early May 2011 but they didn't announce the name until the draft and the jerseys/logo weren't revealed until August

They'll only get one chance to brand the team properly, I don't blame them for taking their time to make sure they get it right

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I believe we got the team back in early May 2011 but they didn't announce the name until the draft and the jerseys/logo weren't revealed until August

They'll only get one chance to brand the team properly, I don't blame them for taking their time to make sure they get it right
That Jets timeline makes sense... the Utah timeline doesn't - their brand launch is 'hey we don't have a brand'... usually not how business works.

Hey folks I'm starting a polar bear tour company and for the first year, it will be called Tour Company while I ask my clients what they think a good name might be haha

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

Yup Scheifele’s draft picture was a black jersey with an NHL crest

Reactions: Jets 31

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

My take is Jets went for a very conservative logo to reflect the culture they wanted.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011

The name choices in the poll the ownership group launched are all horrible. Watch them take over a year to figure this out and still end up with a subpar/dated name and logo

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I agree that in hindsight, the Jets should've taken more time.

From what I've read, TNSE wanted to name the team the Manitoba Bears.

If you look at these Manitoba Moose third jerseys I think this is what they were hoping for.

MOOSE_JH2.jpg

Mark Chipman said in an article that the Boston Bruins did not want another "Bear Themed" team in the league.

That coupled with the public's desire for the Winnipeg Jets led them to switch the colors to navy blue and slap the current Jets logo on them.

I've said in numerous threads I prefer the original red, white & blue colors and I would love to see our Heritage Jerseys become our regular jerseys.

mark-scheifele.jpg

bryan-little.jpg

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
^ i think they had to be named the Winnipeg Jets

Their whole name announcement at the draft was epic (YouTube videos are a nice trip down memory lane)

And as a major league team, I think the branding needed to put “winnipeg” as a city’s name back on the map (see the US/canadian celeb personalities bandwagoning many years - good exposure for those who resonate with supporting the smallest market/underdog identify)

IMO, and this might offend some, Rest of the province doesn’t play a huge role in key support I.e. season ticket base except for the greater metro Winnipeg region, it also seems like rural manitobans support other teams from local or historical ties like Philly, Leafs, Habs, now Vegas and those who are in rural Manitoba that are Jets fans, are going to support their team from afar regardless … heck some of them may prefer “winnipeg jets” to any other name as well

It’s not like Saskatchewan where there’s a few larger centres but most of the population is spread throughout the province; conversely most of Manitoba is around the Winnipeg area

Vancouver has the canucks but the city is only ~660k out of ~2.6million in the region, and locals love to point out which city someone’s address actually is

I think their name brand was on point and shudder to think of cheering for a team named the Manitoba bears today….i might not have bothered with hockey and others might be Utah fans

Logo, very smartly designed. Honours the RCAF as well as the ownership group. Also it is simple and not obtuse. It appropriately looks like a major league logo; the Moose head and that bears logo look more appropriate for a minor league

Colours that’s up to peoples preference. I like the deeper and navy blue colour personally, and the contrast with a lighter blue, and am happy variations of it are the primary colour - but that is because I like blue to begin with

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree that in hindsight, the Jets should've taken more time.

From what I've read, TNSE wanted to name the team the Manitoba Bears.

If you look at these Manitoba Moose third jerseys I think this is what they were hoping for.

MOOSE_JH2.jpg

Mark Chipman said in an article that the Boston Bruins did not want another "Bear Themed" team in the league.

That coupled with the public's desire for the Winnipeg Jets led them to switch the colors to navy blue and slap the current Jets logo on them.

I've said in numerous threads I prefer the original red, white & blue colors and I would love to see our Heritage Jerseys become our regular jerseys.

mark-scheifele.jpg

bryan-little.jpg
This absolutely needs to happen already especially with the original Jets now moving for the second time. Winnipeg gets back all their team history and Atlanta can get theirs back if they get another team. Seems very straight forward and simple to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad