Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The difference is that those teams are using LTIR the way it was designed to be used- to provide cap-relief for teams with legitimately long-term injuries. It wouldn't be fair if Avs could ice a competitive roster due to Landeskog having essential a career ending injury, with the Leafs or the Bolts I don't see Klingberg or Sergachev on the ice... even if Sergachev returns in later rounds everyone knows it was a legitimate injury... man broke his leg and had to relearn how to walk.

Vegas apologists in the media use this argument to defend Vegas (not saying you are) when it is not remotely the same thing. Right now only 1 team is abusing this.
No I’m not justifying Vegas, I was surprised that the majority of the league uses LTIR and how it plays in with the cap. Was really surprised that of the 6 teams with zero cap left , three were Canadian.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The difference is that those teams are using LTIR the way it was designed to be used- to provide cap-relief for teams with legitimately long-term injuries. It wouldn't be fair if Avs could ice a competitive roster due to Landeskog having essential a career ending injury, with the Leafs or the Bolts I don't see Klingberg or Sergachev on the ice... even if Sergachev returns in later rounds everyone knows it was a legitimate injury... man broke his leg and had to relearn how to walk.

Vegas apologists in the media use this argument to defend Vegas (not saying you are) when it is not remotely the same thing. Right now only 1 team is abusing this.
Perfectly said!!! It’s a tool for injuries that legitimately keep players out of the lineup, not a cheat code to bolster your lineup .

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Definitely not subscribing to that bullshit. The NHL is f***ing awful at providing their fans a convenient/consistent way to view games.

Piracy is largely a service issue - and the NHL has a massive one. Free streaming options are abundant these days, and they're higher quality than ever. Hope they get their shit together one of these days.

You think that’s bad. The Braves have been a staple in the Southeast since the 60s. From Mississippi to the Carolinas, from Tennessee down to half of Florida. And they have games on Apple TV that are blacked out locally.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
You think that’s bad. The Braves have been a staple in the Southeast since the 60s. From Mississippi to the Carolinas, from Tennessee down to half of Florida. And they have games on Apple TV that are blacked out locally.
Wow…..that is infuriating :shakehead

Even in Winnipeg, where the market for MLB is relatively tiny, we used to get like 50 games/year of Braves baseball on TBS, which was standard in our cable packages.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Will it be them or the Islanders out first? Or both? I think the Lightning can make a series of it al least but the Islanders can get fishing in a couple days.
I'm hoping for the Capitals to get knocked out first as I pulled them out of a hat in the playoff pool at work. :skeptic: If they do, I at least get my $20 back...:thumbu:

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Vegas ain't the only one..

The NHL Salary Cap was : $83,500,000

22 teams used LTIR to be cap compliant at the end of the season

Of those 22 teams, 16 of the teams still had some cap space left at the end of the season
Of those 22 teams, 6 teams had $0 left for cap space at the end of the season

Those 6 teams with their final cap hits minus LTIR:

Toronto $97,645,821 - LTIR $14,145,821
Tampa $93,776,877 - LTIR $10,276,877
Vegas $92,239,581 - LTIR $8,739,581
Colorado $90,957,006 - LTIR $7,457,006
Montreal $88,839,908 - LTIR $5,339,908
Vancouver $86,586,876 - LTIR $3,086,876
The team in the NHL with the highest final cap hit without using LTIR to be compliant: Winnipeg Jets

CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
As other posters have said. The only team currently abusing it is Vegas. Every other team on the list has LTIR guys who are legitimately LTIR and the rosters on the ice would be cap compliant if the cap were applied to the playoff games. Only one team is using it as a cheat code to gain a competitive advantage, and that is Vegas. By doing this, and by the league allowing it, Vegas is effectively pissing on the rest of the league. They are buying their playoff success while others are competing for it. The Lightning weren't the first team to do it, but they haven't done it since. The Blackhawks did it once, but haven't since. Vegas has done this three times now and the narrative is getting old.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Wow…..that is infuriating :shakehead

Even in Winnipeg, where the market for MLB is relatively tiny, we used to get like 50 games/year of Braves baseball on TBS, which was standard in our cable packages.
At one point we lived in a building that provided a version of cable that included TBS, WGN and a couple of other US cable giant stations. Granted this is in the last century but I'm pretty sure we had all 160 games from the Braves, Cubs, White Sox and Red Sox. From April to October all that was on TV was baseball.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As other posters have said. The only team currently abusing it is Vegas. Every other team on the list has LTIR guys who are legitimately LTIR and the rosters on the ice would be cap compliant if the cap were applied to the playoff games. Only one team is using it as a cheat code to gain a competitive advantage, and that is Vegas. By doing this, and by the league allowing it, Vegas is effectively pissing on the rest of the league. They are buying their playoff success while others are competing for it. The Lightning weren't the first team to do it, but they haven't done it since. The Blackhawks did it once, but haven't since. Vegas has done this three times now and the narrative is getting old.
100% agree. It’s also been a major factor in why the Anaheim Ducks are your defending non-asterisked champions.

Reactions: surixon

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Will it be them or the Islanders out first? Or both? I think the Lightning can make a series of it al least but the Islanders can get fishing in a couple days.
I think both teams are cooked, must be a shock for TB, as for the Islanders they were probably just happy to make the playoffs.

Reactions: surixon

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Rogers and the league said in a joint statement Thursday that "Prime Monday Night Hockey" will stream all national regular season Monday night NHL games in English for the 2024-25 and 2025-26 NHL seasons.

Also of note: Seattle Kraken also announced Thursday that they will move their games to an over-the-air broadcaster and have a streaming partnership with Prime Video beginning with the 2024-25 season. The Kraken will be the first NHL team to have a streaming deal with Prime Video for all non-nationally televised games and will be available to Amazon Prime members in Washington, Oregon and Alaska.

Wonder if will affect the Jets at all .... since they have a contract with TSN

I know I won't be watching hockey on Mondays.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Rogers and the league said in a joint statement Thursday that "Prime Monday Night Hockey" will stream all national regular season Monday night NHL games in English for the 2024-25 and 2025-26 NHL seasons.

Also of note: Seattle Kraken also announced Thursday that they will move their games to an over-the-air broadcaster and have a streaming partnership with Prime Video beginning with the 2024-25 season. The Kraken will be the first NHL team to have a streaming deal with Prime Video for all non-nationally televised games and will be available to Amazon Prime members in Washington, Oregon and Alaska.

Wonder if will affect the Jets at all .... since they have a contract with TSN

I know I won't be watching hockey on Mondays.
The Jets could sell the regional rights to Prime whenever the current deal with TSN expires, but I doubt Prime would win the bid...having more potential bidders is good for the Jets' revenues though.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
The Jets could sell the regional rights to Prime whenever the current deal with TSN expires, but I doubt Prime would win the bid...having more potential bidders is good for the Jets' revenues though.
Not too sure there would be great demand for the Jets unfortunately.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The only thing that sucks with Jets games on TSN is that their app won't archive the game for on demand . I usually miss it live and watch at around 10 pm. So relying on PVR which takes up space. I assume Amazon will archive them.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think both teams are cooked, must be a shock for TB, as for the Islanders they were probably just happy to make the playoffs.
I don't think anyone should be shocked about Tampa getting beaten up. They're a two-line team with no depth to speak of, going up against the best roster in the league with the best defensive forward in the league on it. Aside from Point and Kucherov, they're getting killed.

The only hope for Tampa was Bobrovsky falling off a cliff, and it hasn't materialised in any significant fashion.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I don't think anyone should be shocked about Tampa getting beaten up. They're a two-line team with no depth to speak of, going up against the best roster in the league with the best defensive forward in the league on it. Aside from Point and Kucherov, they're getting killed.

The only hope for Tampa was Bobrovsky falling off a cliff, and it hasn't materialised in any significant fashion.
Have sweeps been a curse for the next round?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hopefully Nashville takes the series.
A win tonight would be nice

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad