Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There aren't many ways you can slice it that would change how the formatting would work.

1v8 would be the exact same matchups in the east.

The only difference in the west with 1v8 would be Winnipeg getting LA in round 1 and Colorado getting Edmonton.

Vegas would still play Dallas round 1 either way. Setting up a scenario where the winner plays a good team in round 2.
In the second round of a 1v8 they re-seed, so the only way you could get 1 vs 2 is in the western final

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and Jet

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
At what point will teams start targeting Stone and his back? You can’t tell me Dallas is going to miss Sam Steel if he gets suspended after going out to crosscheck Stone repeatedly in the back.

This cap loophole could prove to be worse than just compromising the integrity of a sports game if players go off-script and take matters into their own hands.

*Assuming Stone was even hurt, its looking like, at the very least, he’s been healthy for weeks, if not not injured at all.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Vegas is still a WC team or bottom seed either way. So its all a moot point this year.
The point I was referring to is the Jets (2) potentially playing Dallas (1) in thr second round. 1v8 eliminates that

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The argument against cap counting in the playoffs would be - if you have a key player get legitimately mangled during the reg season and need to reinforce to compensate for their absence in the postseason, it could hurt your ability to do so. The way this has continued on for the last few seasons in favor of a specific team, I'd be fine with it personally.
Exactly. Injuries are part of the game. If you allow teams to add players when players are on LTIR, then the lineup you ice needs to be cap compliant.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
IMG_1727.jpeg

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Brossoit wasn't very good in the playoffs last year. Put up good numbers for a couple games against the Jets when we were without Scheifele, Morrissey, Ehlers, and Dubois was playing injured. Was getting shelled against Edmonton before he got injured.
And Hellebuyck hasn't been good in a playoff series since 2018 vs. Nashville. So at this point of Helle goes down I don't know that we're significantly worse off.

Now here's hoping Helle puts up a dominant performance in game 3 and shuts me up.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
At this rate if Helle isn’t putting up 2003 Giguere like numbers, the Jets are toast. Burnt, Garbage toast!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And Hellebuyck hasn't been good in a playoff series since 2018 vs. Nashville. So at this point of Helle goes down I don't know that we're significantly worse off.

Now here's hoping Helle puts up a dominant performance in game 3 and shuts me up.
he was superb vs EDM posting a 0.950 on ~40 shots per game. but overall since the 17-18 run he's been mid, which is not ideal for the Jets since Helle poses as a true competitive advantage at a singular position vs most if not all teams.

last 3 PO series he has a 0.890, last 6 series: 0.909 overall. need some semblance of the EDM-series level of play.

IMO both he and ehlers have underperformed relative to the league from their regular season proficiency to the POs

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
he was superb vs EDM posting a 0.950 on ~40 shots per game. but overall since the 17-18 run he's been mid, which is not ideal for the Jets since Helle poses as a true competitive advantage at a singular position vs most if not all teams.

last 3 PO series he has a 0.890, last 6 series: 0.909 overall. need some semblance of the EDM-series level of play.

IMO both he and ehlers have underperformed relative to the league from their regular season proficiency to the POs
My bad. I was totally tuned out during the bubble season and didn’t watch/follow any of it. So wasn’t aware of his performance in that Edmonton series. I should have looked it up before making a bold proclamation like that.

However, as you say, last six series he’s been thoroughly “mid” and any team needs better than that to win in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad