Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
You can get around this by just applying it to the active roster I think but then you'll have teams rest a star every second game to play a different star.. not sure how you fix this - because it sure would make it hard to the avs to play landeskog who's been legit injured
Ah.. fair enough. Maybe make it so that if a player is put on LTIR for the second season in a row you implement that requirement? Increasing the amount of games required if it happens for a third and so on.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree that techcially Vegas is not cheating. Although I am pissed at them and Tampa they are/were both just exploiting a loophole that is open to everyone. This shit is on the NHL, Board of governors, and the owners.

Things really setting up nicely for the Oilers. Vegas somehow loses that last game to the Ducks and it dropped a depth charge into the water of the Central.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I thought Jesse Pollock made an interesting point in the latest Bardown video regarding this LTIR shite. To prevent a player (like Stone, always Stone) from returning right on time for game 1, make it so a player has to return within the last 5 regular season games. Every game they miss during those final 5 count towards missing a playoff game. If it were me, I'd make it that you'd have to return within 5, maybe even 7 games, and if you don't play in all of them, you miss the first round.

To play devil's advocate, nothing Vegas has done is technically against the rules. It is however blatant manipulation of a loophole that the NHL is doing nothing to fix. If they don't acknowledge that the hockey world is collectively up in arms about Vegas perennially abusing a flaw in their system and do nothing to fix it, they're even worse. It'd be hard then, to not accuse them of being bedfellows.

I know it's bad form to wish injury on a player. So let's just say, I won't shed a tear if Mark Stone is forced to miss the remainder of the playoffs be it from reasons clean, or otherwise. Him and the Golden Shites can frig right off, bud.
That's a pretty interesting idea.

I say the easiest thing is that you have to be cap compliant through the playoffs even if you aren't paying the players. Waivers should still apply and roster limits etc.

That would prevent a lot of f***ery

Jesus.

I hate the Canucks and part of me is guffawing but man I feel for him and his teammates.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree that techcially Vegas is not cheating. Although I am pissed at them and Tampa they are/were both just exploiting a loophole that is open to everyone. This shit is on the NHL, Board of governors, and the owners.

Things really setting up nicely for the Oilers. Vegas somehow loses that last game to the Ducks and it dropped a depth charge into the water of the Central.
This further magnifies how incomprehenisbly stupid the playoff format is.

Dallas/ Jets in the second round - potentially knocking out the 3rd and 4th best teams in the NHL this year.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Dallas/ Jets in the second round - potentially knocking out the 3rd and 4th best teams in the NHL this year.
Historically it's always been this way. I believe one year Oilers finished first, Jets second, Flames third and we drew the Flames in the first round. Two of the top three teams in the league couldn't make it to the Conference final.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What a gift it is to have a goalie as durable as Hellebuyck.
200w.gif

:sarcasm: ?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I honestly wouldn’t be phased at all if Helle went down with Larry behind him. I might change my mind after a couple games, but Brossoit has earned a lot of confidence from myself from this year and last years playoffs.
Brossoit wasn't very good in the playoffs last year. Put up good numbers for a couple games against the Jets when we were without Scheifele, Morrissey, Ehlers, and Dubois was playing injured. Was getting shelled against Edmonton before he got injured.

Reactions: roccerfeller

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Whoah, that's huge. I don't think they can beat Nashville in the long run with DeSmith in net. Guess we will see.

He musy have aggravated his previous injury in game 1? I don't remember anything happening during the game.
He did the splits making a great save and Kelly Hrudey said that is so hard to do that Demko is the only goalie he knows that can do that.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Tellin ya... big save Dave coming in fir game three and running the table

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

There aren't many ways you can slice it that would change how the formatting would work.

1v8 would be the exact same matchups in the east.

The only difference in the west with 1v8 would be Winnipeg getting LA in round 1 and Colorado getting Edmonton.

Vegas would still play Dallas round 1 either way. Setting up a scenario where the winner plays a good team in round 2.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There aren't many ways you can slice it that would change how the formatting would work.

1v8 would be the exact same matchups in the east.

The only difference in the west with 1v8 would be Winnipeg getting LA in round 1 and Colorado getting Edmonton.

Vegas would still play Dallas round 1 either way. Setting up a scenario where the winner plays a good team in round 2.
The only way is that teams "draft" their opponents that your position in standings in the conference determines the draft order. So Stars "draft" their opponent and pick Nashville, then Winnipeg drafts and picks LA, then Canucks pick Vegas and finally Colorado ends up against Edmonton. If you want to defer the best teams meeting each other till later, then that is the only way, to take the matchups out of points table, it makes sense as it's an 82 game season and a team's position at the end of the season may not reflect how tough of a comp they are in the playoffs.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only way is that teams "draft" their opponents that your position in standings in the conference determines the draft order. So Stars "draft" their opponent and pick Nashville, then Winnipeg drafts and picks LA, then Canucks pick Vegas and finally Colorado ends up against Edmonton. If you want to defer the best teams meeting each other till later, then that is the only way, to take the matchups out of points table, it makes sense as it's an 82 game season and a team's position at the end of the season may not reflect how tough of a comp they are in the playoffs.

That is basically a 1v8 situation.

Honestly I'd imagine Vancouver would stay as far away from Vegas as possible. So likely taking Colorado in that position which pits Edmonton against Vegas.

I have no qualms with how things go. To be the best you have to beat the best. The format we have makes for far more interesting matchups in the early rounds, which causes more fans to tune in early and get excited about playoffs, which means the NHL isn't just watching paint dry from round 1 to round 2, possibly 3.

The matchups from the get go are exciting and something is on the line from puck drop game 1.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That is basically a 1v8 situation.

Honestly I'd imagine Vancouver would stay as far away from Vegas as possible. So likely taking Colorado in that position which pits Edmonton against Vegas.

I have no qualms with how things go. To be the best you have to beat the best. The format we have makes for far more interesting matchups in the early rounds, which causes more fans to tune in early and get excited about playoffs, which means the NHL isn't just watching paint dry from round 1 to round 2, possibly 3.

The matchups from the get go are exciting and something is on the line from puck drop game 1.

Yeah I don't mind the current format either as playoffs are not really about crowning "the best team" anyways and I usually have lost interest by the 2nd/3rd round if the Jets are not in.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad