Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Kraken's expansion fee was $650M and the Golden Knights was $500M. If I know anything about this league, its their obsession with their Trumpian-levels of fudging asset inflation.

I would put the likelihood of Ryan Smith writing a $1.3B cheque for the Coyotes around the same probability as Joseph Smith finding golden plates on a hill in rural New York in the early 1800s (i.e., biblical times ) and then translating them into a new bible. Which is precisely zero percent. :shakehead

And do we really believe Gary and the BoG are going to let Alex Meruelo cash a $1B cheque for selling the NHL the Arizona Yotes?

I would guess that the deal is structured something along the lines of:

- Ryan Smith pays $960M.
- Meruelo gets $300M + losses over the last 3 years. Call it $400M
- The remaining balance of $500M is put into escrow to cover Meruelo's expansion fee and he has 5 years to acquire the arena and capital to make it happen, otherwise, the $500M goes to owners. Expansion fee would be fixed at the $500M in escrow + $400M that Meruelo got from the sale.
- in the meantime, there's probably a small relocation fee being paid to owners, similar to Jets - in the $60-100M range).
Makes sense.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I mean yeah, probably lots of 'em. Most of them are probably babies/small children, though.
You'd be surprised. I was in Buenos Aires on holidays and was chatting with a lady from Arizona also on holidays, I made small talk about the Coyotes. She said "wat's that?" "we have a hockey team?"

Reactions: Guardian17

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I saw a YouTube video about that and I was like 'THE f***?'
Every avenue, every street, and a couple boulevards too.

"More last chances than Carter's got pills", as us boomer types would say.

Goddamn NHL just cut and run from Arizona! What a betrayal! :sarcasm:

If only they had been given a fair chance, who knows what could have been? 🙃

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Looks like the Oil may very well get the Golden cheats with the miraculously aboe to play Stone in round 1.
Now if only they could both lose. Really don't know who I hate more, but Jets seem to actually be able to play not like complete trash against the Oil ... so I guess I'll root for them to win.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So now its official...

Arizona: have retained ownership of the beloved Coyotes name, brand and logo.

Utah: Starting as an entirely new franchise. The history of the Coyotes will stay behind.

OK... TNSE... do what's needed to get our 1.0 history the hell out of the desert where it never belonged.
You'd think this should set a precedent that could be pursued to get our history back?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
You'd think this should set a precedent that could be pursued to get our history back?

It should. Utah wants nothing to do with the Coyotes / Jets history so they are starting new, and how silly would it be to have Arizona potentially go thru an expansion draft 5 years from now and keep the Jets 1.0 history.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It should. Utah wants nothing to do with the Coyotes / Jets history so they are starting new, and how silly would it be to have Arizona potentially go thru an expansion draft 5 years from now and keep the Jets 1.0 history.
yep, and if Atlanta does get another franchise they should rightfully be given the Thrashers history and name back, I would fully support that.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
“I don’t know if every avenue was exhausted” - Coyotes PBP guy.

I’ve got a pretty good idea. Lol.

At last, our long National (hockey league) nightmare is over.
Every conceivable avenue has been exhausted. Some multiple times.
This is hilarious

So now its official...

Arizona: have retained ownership of the beloved Coyotes name, brand and logo.

Utah: Starting as an entirely new franchise. The history of the Coyotes will stay behind.

OK... TNSE... do what's needed to get our 1.0 history the hell out of the desert where it never belonged.
so shifting history of franchises is acceptable practice now.
Guess winnipeg can get theirs back finally.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad