Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So Jets need to give up two goals or less for the Jennings.

What happens if Panthers are tie with allowed goals?
There is no tie breaker? They will co-win it?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
They had Shane Doan in the broadcast booth, always a class act. Mentioned that it was heartbreaking for them when they left Winnipeg, nice he gave a small shout out anyways.
Isn't Doan's kid a Coyote?

What's with those Doan boys joining that franchise and then the team relocating the next season? What're the chances of that happening?

#DontDraftaDoan

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Isn't Doan's kid a Coyote?

What's with those Doan boys joining that franchise and then the team relocating the next season? What're the chances of that happening?

#DontDraftaDoan
Yah Josh got called up recently and is making an impact. You're right, weird coincidence!

Josh may well end up being the last player in the league who played for the original Coyotes, just like Shane was the last of the original Jets.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The Kraken's expansion fee was $650M and the Golden Knights was $500M. If I know anything about this league, its their obsession with their Trumpian-levels of fudging asset inflation.

I would put the likelihood of Ryan Smith writing a $1.3B cheque for the Coyotes around the same probability as Joseph Smith finding golden plates on a hill in rural New York in the early 1800s (i.e., biblical times ) and then translating them into a new bible. Which is precisely zero percent. :shakehead

And do we really believe Gary and the BoG are going to let Alex Meruelo cash a $1B cheque for selling the NHL the Arizona Yotes?

I would guess that the deal is structured something along the lines of:

- Ryan Smith pays $960M.
- Meruelo gets $300M + losses over the last 3 years. Call it $400M
- The remaining balance of $500M is put into escrow to cover Meruelo's expansion fee and he has 5 years to acquire the arena and capital to make it happen, otherwise, the $500M goes to owners. Expansion fee would be fixed at the $500M in escrow + $400M that Meruelo got from the sale.
- in the meantime, there's probably a small relocation fee being paid to owners, similar to Jets - in the $60-100M range).

Last edited:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't feel like being too petty and gloat, I feel for the Coyotes staff who will be out of jobs and the fans, some actually looked upset. On the other hand it feels like an old wound has healed.

Those little kids in the crowd, they get a pass. They don’t really have a grasp on the incalculable privilege their fanbase has enjoyed over the years. They’re just sad. I legit had a moment of silence for them.

But you’re definitely correct. A wrong has been righted today

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I want a Canadian team to win the cup this year, so I'm cheering for the

WINNIPEG JETS (obviously 1st choice)

If Jets don't win it then

Edmonton Oilers ( For McDavid )

Vancouver Canucks ( either them or leafs :) )

Toronto Maple Leafs

• Love
Reactions: Luc Labelle

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I want a Canadian team to win the cup this year, so I'm cheering for the

WINNIPEG JETS (obviously 1st choice)

I will actively cheer against any team playing the leafs or the oilers. Any team playing them. Go Vegas/Kings. Go Boston.

I would have been ok with the Canucks until I saw how classless and douchebaggy many of their fans were that I saw in person when I was at the game where we lost 0-5 … I hope they get tossed by whomever they face in rd 1.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
1713419363754.png

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Kraken's expansion fee was $650M and the Golden Knights was $500M. If I know anything about this league, its their obsession with their Trumpian-levels of fudging asset inflation.

I would put the likelihood of Ryan Smith writing a $1.3B cheque for the Coyotes around the same probability as Joseph Smith finding golden plates on a hill in rural New York in the early 1800s (i.e., biblical times ) and then translating them into a new bible. Which is precisely zero percent. :shakehead

And do we really believe Gary and the BoG are going to let Alex Meruelo cash a $1B cheque for selling the NHL the Arizona Yotes?

I would guess that the deal is structured something along the lines of:

- Ryan Smith pays $960M.
- Meruelo gets $300M + losses over the last 3 years. Call it $400M
- The remaining balance of $500M is put into escrow to cover Meruelo's expansion fee and he has 5 years to acquire the arena and capital to make it happen, otherwise, the $500M goes to owners. Expansion fee would be fixed at the $500M in escrow + $400M that Meruelo got from the sale.
- in the meantime, there's probably a small relocation fee being paid to owners, similar to Jets - in the $60-100M range).

I thought Elliot Friedman did a really good job covering this in his last 32 thoughts podcast.

Sounds like the owners will split $200 million. It also sounded like the 5 year option/pathway for Meruelo to bring the Coyotes back to Arizona would be tough for him to achieve. Lots of aggressive milestones and hurdles.

Friedman also mentioned there are many (owners) who aren’t happy with how whole Meruelo is getting in this deal but he does have leverage since the NHL wants this wrapped up quickly and they do want Smith in the club.

We’ll see where it all lands.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I will actively cheer against any team playing the leafs or the oilers. Any team playing them. Go Vegas/Kings. Go Boston.

I would have been ok with the Canucks until I saw how classless and douchebaggy many of their fans were that I saw in person when I was at the game where we lost 0-5 … I hope they get tossed by whomever they face in rd 1.
Yup ill never cheer for the Canucks. The Canucks treated the Moose like shit in the years when the Jets were gone and we were their farm team. Cant remember what year but one season where the Moose were really strong and had a legit chance at the Calder Cup the Canucks called up a couple guys for no reason that would have really helped and screwed over the Moose. They werent even needed and just sat in the pressbox for weeks. Never forgot that.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't feel like being too petty and gloat, I feel for the Coyotes staff who will be out of jobs and the fans, some actually looked upset. On the other hand it feels like an old wound has healed.

Those little kids in the crowd, they get a pass. They don’t really have a grasp on the incalculable privilege their fanbase has enjoyed over the years. They’re just sad. I legit had a moment of silence for them.

But you’re definitely correct. A wrong has been righted today

I remember watching the last Jets 1.0 game against Detroit in my dorm room in Chicago.

The clock ran down to zero and FOX quickly shifted to The Simpsons.

No discussion, no acknowledgement, just moved on to Krusty the Clown like the entire Jets 1.0 was nothing but garbage.

I couldn't watch the NHL for years.

Started watching again during the Flames 2004 miracle run.

I hated how the Coyotes franchise always seemed to keep getting support from the NHL.

I hold no grudge against Coyotes fans or employees.

I am happy to see this saga end.

My only wish now is for the NHL to return the Jets 1.0 history to Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad