Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Pretty dramatic comeback to win in OT by Detroit over Montreal, they stay alive for another day. Two huge games in the east now tomorrow: Caps vs Flyers and Red Wings vs Habs. I believe a Caps loss in regulation and a Red Wings win would clinch the final spot for Detroit?

Correct. Washington controls their own destiny and gets in with two points. Philly stays alive with two clean points. Might be one of those legendary "pull the goalie late in a tied game in regulation" moments.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I want the Knights to play the Stars.

Those are the two teams that concern me the most, and guaranteed one is out in the first round and hopefully they beat the shit out of each other.

I think the Jets drew the best case Ontario for them - obviously it's the playoffs and the avs are going to have a lot to say but their goaltending looks like a shitshow, Makar looks Human, and I don't see the series to be brutally physical. If the Jets can contain Mack (much as anyone can) I feel good about our chances.

Vancouver, LA, and Vegas advancing is my hope, though a certain piece of me wants to see the Vegas bloated payrolls out in the first.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The eternal rebuild, the dangers of blowing it up.

Yeah, it really is a reality check in terms of what can go wrong with a rebuild. It's one thing to rebuild if you are Florida, LA, etc. and can readily attract free agents, but quite another if you are Buffalo or Winnipeg.

Sympathies for all the Sabres fans out there, that's a hell of a rough road they've been on.

Those "Video Coordinator" people can sure screw up how a team performs on the ice.

Rumour has it that Matt recorded episodes of The Bachelor on all the VHS tapes of divisional opponents...

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The eternal rebuild, the dangers of blowing it up.
I seem to remember there was a bit of a notion going on in the media a few years ago (2016-2018ish) that the NHL was going to be going very young...rosters full of young players on ELC's and veterans were probably not needed as much. That was probably really fueled by the players from the '15 and '16 draft jumping in and making immediate impacts (McDavid, Matthews, Laine etc).

It's obvious now that tearing it down and rebuilding with youth is a very risky prospect and I can see why TNSE was averse to do so with the Jets.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
OUR ROOKIE GOALIE WILL SAVE US

It took Helly a few years to become what he is and they expected this young rookie to fix them

Stupid
Luukonen has massive potential - would love to see the Jets trade for him as our backup

Granato was trying to play man coverage and didn't have the talent for it - those goalies were hung out to dry all season

I found it interesting that Chipman was quoted in the CBC article as saying something along the lines of "someone I trust in this business warned me about a full teardown". Kinda got me wondering who it could behave been
@sipowicz

Reactions: sipowicz

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I found it interesting that Chipman was quoted in the CBC article as saying something along the lines of "someone I trust in this business warned me about a full teardown". Kinda got me wondering who it could behave been
Full rebuilds Destroy the culture of a team.a few disgruntled vets can do incredible damage to the teams future.

Teams with very strong histories may be able to pull it off. The HR aspect of players is underrated.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Full rebuilds Destroy the culture of a team.a few disgruntled vets can do incredible damage to the teams future.

Teams with very strong histories may be able to pull it off. The HR aspect of players is underrated.
There should be more terms than retool or rebuild...

Skinner - where you torpedo your organization with a gigantic vet contract
Grier - a rebuild without the build part
Oil change - draft multiple first overall picks and still suck

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Speaking of rebuilds...

I wonder if the following tactic would work for undesirable markets like the Jets. Admit that at some point you might need to rebuild.

Become buyers and sellers at upcoming trade deadlines, but target 1st round picks a few years in the future (all in the same draft year, so this draft would be like 8-10 years ahead). Hopefully in a strong draft. Then either draft with those picks, trade them for roster players or move up in the draft for a cornerstone piece of the future.

Kind of a half baked idea at the moment, so maybe it's a horrible idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad