Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can someone explain the scenario in which the BOS pick improves by 3 spots ?
If three teams with less points than them make the conference finals, it pushes them further up the draft, so for example a conference final of Toronto and idk, NYR would mean Toronto's pick goes from 23rd to 29, which pushes Bos from 26 to 25. Then, if any two of Colorado, VGK, EDM, or Nsh end up in the ECF, Bos would move up another two spots as those teams take spots 31 and 30 pushing the back again.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Pitts fired Rierdan. (Spelling) Assistant in charge pp and defence. Their board is fun right now. Kevin Weekes suggesting that rift between Dubas and Sullivan. Sullivan could be traded? They hate Sullivan, but now think they can get a 1rst or 2nd round pick for him. You guys will have to check Weekes' tweet. I may have described it wrong.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I think the Leafs will pull it out tomorrow unfortunately, Boston is a mess. If that happens, the Sens won't have the dubious distinction of being the last win the Leafs had in a game 7, so there's that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Michel Bergeron was traded ; Goes back a bit but there is one example

Also Blysma who was fired but still under contract with the Pens ; reached an agreement with Buffalo and Pens received a 3rd round pick as compensation..
Right but they got rid of executive and coach compensation in 2016, Bylsma was I believe the last coach hiring to result in compensation.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What??? Since when can you trade coaches?

I would assume that they could if everybody agrees. Ie send us a pick for FC and we will grant you permission to sign the coach.

Call it a fire and trade.

Vancouver is going to regret that Pettersson contract, dude is complete ghost in the playoffs.

Are the fans BOOing him?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What??? Since when can you trade coaches?
It has happened, but it has been decades. Michel Bergeron was traded from the Nordiques to the Rangers in the late 80s - I think the Nords got a first out of the deal. Terrible trade for the Rangers, as Bergeron lasted slightly less than two seasons before being fired.

In today's NHL, I just can't see a team giving up significant draft capital for a coach. We are in an era now where coaches are more disposable now than ever before for the simple reason that their salaries don't count against the cap. If Pittsburgh wants to be rid of Sullivan and his contract they should just fire him instead of passive-aggressively trying to get him to quit by canning his assistants. That's a weasel move, one perfectly in keeping with Dubas' character. Once they fire him, another team will likely hire him, thus taking most if not all of his salary off the books for Pittsburgh. (For the Fenway Group, Sullivan's salary is a rounding error anyway.)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would assume that they could if everybody agrees. Ie send us a pick for FC and we will grant you permission to sign the coach.
Right before the 1987 draft, the Quebec Nordiques traded Michael Bergeron to the Rangers for a first-round selection and $75,000.
It has happened, but it has been decades. Michel Bergeron was traded from the Nordiques to the Rangers in the late 80s - I think the Nords got a first out of the deal. Terrible trade for the Rangers, as Bergeron lasted slightly less than two seasons before being fired.

In today's NHL, I just can't see a team giving up significant draft capital for a coach. We are in an era now where coaches are more disposable now than ever before for the simple reason that their salaries don't count against the cap. If Pittsburgh wants to be rid of Sullivan and his contract they should just fire him instead of passive-aggressively trying to get him to quit by canning his assistants. That's a weasel move, one perfectly in keeping with Dubas' character. Once they fire him, another team will likely hire him, thus taking most if not all of his salary off the books for Pittsburgh. (For the Fenway Group, Sullivan's salary is a rounding error anyway.)
Yes, I know it happened in the past, when there were rules allowing draft pick compensation for coaches and executives but they changed the rule in 2016, I posted the link above...

@Sens of Anarchy you had one job...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So I read that link, and now I am more confused than ever. ;-) What I THINK it says is that you can ask for compensation for currently employed coaches and execs, but not fired ones. That would make sense when you look at what Dubas is doing. Instead of just firing Sullivan he cans one of his trusted assistants against the head coach's wishes, hoping to make him miserable enough that he wants out. At that point, Dubas can try to squeeze a draft pick out of someone for letting Sullivan out of his deal. Did I read that correctly?

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
So I read that link, and now I am more confused than ever. ;-) What I THINK it says is that you can ask for compensation for currently employed coaches and execs, but not fired ones. That would make sense when you look at what Dubas is doing. Instead of just firing Sullivan he cans one of his trusted assistants against the head coach's wishes, hoping to make him miserable enough that he wants out. At that point, Dubas can try to squeeze a draft pick out of someone for letting Sullivan out of his deal. Did I read that correctly?
If true it sounds like a great way to make Pittsburg an unattractive destination for in-demand coaches.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Played 80+ games in three straight seasons while Norris and Chabot are made of glass.

Is Mark Stone made of glass? Marian Gaborik? Milan Michalek? Bobby Ryan? These guys have size and strong bodies but a guy like Keith Yandle basically never gets injured. It's a mix of a lot of factors, the way you play, luck and if you keep getting injured with the same injury. That's why you're injury prone or not.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, I know it happened in the past, when there were rules allowing draft pick compensation for coaches and executives but they changed the rule in 2016, I posted the link above...

@Sens of Anarchy you had one job...
I work at 2 speeds. If you don't like this one, you sure as hell aren't going to like the other one. I am also starting on the outside in... I have informed Mr. Weekes. I am assessing the fallout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad