Around the League

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Very sobering offseason coming up for Tampa.

That series against Florida had some 2015, 2016 Red Wings feel to it for Tampa. I think they get Stammer back and ride it out. But the slow decline will continue.

Reactions: SoupNazi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
yeah panthers should be the clear favorite at this point

Gonna be a fascinating offseason for the lightning. They are very clearly on the decline from their peak years. Do they continue to roll with an aging core like pittsburgh has or do they break it up?

Copp and Veleno for Cirelli. Don’t question it, just sign off on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Konnan511

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Stamkos was standing by the door and giving everybody a man hug as they came off the ice. Last player to leave the ice. We'll see.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tampa's done. They're right around where Detroit was in 2010, 2011, 2012-ish. In hindsight some people think that's when we should have traded Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall etc.
Same should then be said about Kucherov, Point and Sergachev.
Vasielievsky would be a nice pickup for us.

Reactions: SoupNazi

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Tampa's done. They're right around where Detroit was in 2010, 2011, 2012-ish. In hindsight some people think that's when we should have traded Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall etc.
Same should then be said about Kucherov, Point and Sergachev.
Vasielievsky would be a nice pickup for us.

The majority of their core is still relatively young.
Kucherov turns 31 in June
Point 28
Sergachev turns 26 in June
Vasilevsky turns 30 in July
Cernak 26
Hedman turns 34 in December

With some retool and rest they can still go on a Cup run with or without Stamkos, Cirelli.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
The biggest problem, as I see it, is their prospect pool. They don't have much to offer to build the depth needed to go on a Cup run.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Point 28
Cernak 26

With some retool and rest they can still go on a Cup run with or without Stamkos, Cirelli.
You could definitely retool that group. Let Stammer walk. Get in a backup that can actually give Vasi some rest. They have 11 mil to play around with next year. They aren't going to be a top end contender but they'd still make the playoffs potentially. It matter how much gate revenue is important. Hedman only has 1 year left though so I could also see them running it back a year if Stammer is willing to take a 1 year deal then going into a mini rebuild after the season and letting Hedman and Stammer both walk or deal them at the deadline if they aren't in a spot. It would be a good way to recoup some 1sts they've dealt recently if Hedman and Stammer are good with that potential.

Reactions: Twinger

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If dealing Hedman is on the table, I think that's something you do over the summer where you can get a better return and where you haven't gotten your fans into a mindset that you're pushing for the playoffs. The moment you get into a season with these guys and you're doing well, you're setting expectations that you're going to make a run with them.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
If dealing Hedman is on the table, I think that's something you do over the summer where you can get a better return and where you haven't gotten your fans into a mindset that you're pushing for the playoffs. The moment you get into a season with these guys and you're doing well, you're setting expectations that you're going to make a run with them.
100% how I'd do it too.

But I'm cynical and always expect the business play, lol...

"Let's trade our big stars after the season starts and we've already sold our season tickets" :laugh:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Point 28
Cernak 26

I had to look Vasi up. Can't believe the guy is only about to be 30 - it feels like he's been around forever.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If dealing Hedman is on the table, I want Yzerman in on it at the draft. Having a guy like that around for Mo and Ed and our other kids coming up to learn from would be monstrous.

Reactions: Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What exactly is Matthews dealing with? I had thought he had the flu or a stomach bug or something a few nights ago, but they're still listing him as a game time decision for tonight, based on feedback from the doctor.

Assuming it's not something like vertigo, it's tough to believe that a few days of some combination of electrolytes / meds wouldn't be enough to let him gut it out in an elimination game.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
What exactly is Matthews dealing with? I had thought he had the flu or a stomach bug or something a few nights ago, but they're still listing him as a game time decision for tonight, based on feedback from the doctor.

Assuming it's not something like vertigo, it's tough to believe that a few days of some combination of electrolytes / meds wouldn't be enough to let him gut it out in an elimination game.

Pretty wild to think Tkachuk played with a broken sternum and Matthews couldn't play the 3rd period.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Shanahan is looking for any excuse to not do anything and just run the roster back again next season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's funny cause Shanny's team needs a Shanny.

It's so true. I know he may lose his job at some point because eventually consequences will go up the chain of command, but I have a hard time believing this roster is Shanny's grand vision for the Leafs.

As a player he was a power forward and won Cups under Bowman as one of the players who had to drop back in the left wing lock. And the Wings offense flowed through the defense.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They live to fight another day, Bruins just kinda slept through that one. I don't see whoever advances having any chance against Florida.
Yeah, very sloppy play while Swayman kept them in the game. Hopefully both teams return to form on Thursday.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
It's so true. I know he may lose his job at some point because eventually consequences will go up the chain of command, but I have a hard time believing this roster is Shanny's grand vision for the Leafs.

As a player he was a power forward and won Cups under Bowman as one of the players who had to drop back in the left wing lock. And the Wings offense flowed through the defense.

So Morgan Reilly and William Nylander to who for 2025 Shanny?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad