Around the League

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
If there's ever an 08 Cup Celebration at some point. Hope they don't ask Babcock to attend.
I remember his speech at Nick Lidstrom's retirement sounding kind of awkward. Like I'm up here with talking words because I want to be up here even though Nick probably doesn't give a shit whether I'm up here or not vibes.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I honestly don't know what is fireable about this Babcock stuff. If you don't want a person to have your phone don't give it to them. I don't agree with him asking for it, but seems like a massive nothing burger to me. Not like he stole their phones and rifled through them, they willingly gave him their phones and then stood by and let him go through them. Dumb that he wanted to do that, but not a big deal either.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I honestly don't know what is fireable about this Babcock stuff. If you don't want a person to have your phone don't give it to them. I don't agree with him asking for it, but seems like a massive nothing burger to me. Not like he stole their phones and rifled through them, they willingly gave him their phones and then stood by and let him go through them. Dumb that he wanted to do that, but not a big deal either.
It's abuse of power. It is hard to say no in these kind of situations, especially for kids coming in and want to be on the coach's good side. It's not that principally different from sexual harrasment from bosses, and how #metoo got started.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's abuse of power. It is hard to say no in these kind of situations, especially for kids coming in and want to be on the coach's good side. It's not that principally different from sexual harrasment from bosses, and how #metoo got started.

It is very easy not to give your phone to somone. No different if you were 18 and your mom or dad asked for your phone. Most kids would say no. If a coach asks me for my private stuff or belongings I say no. Comparing this to sexual harrassment is way out there. If the coach wants to see pictures and you are willing to let him see some, than show him with you in control of the phone, not give it to him to freely to go through it. If Babcock came to their homes and said let me search your house they wouldn't have let him, how is a phone any different?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It is very easy not to give your phone to somone. No different if you were 18 and your mom or dad asked for your phone. Most kids would say no. If a coach asks me for my private stuff or belongings I say no. Comparing this to sexual harrassment is way out there. If the coach wants to see pictures and you are willing to let him see some, than show him with you in control of the phone, not give it to him to freely to go through it. If Babcock came to their homes and said let me search your house they wouldn't have let him, how is a phone any different?
Oh please, are you comparing saying no to parents to saying no to your boss? Really? It's even further away than comparing it to sexual harrasment. You think Marner wanted to make a list of players for Babcock too, right?

And why are you putting up strawmen like Babcock is suddenly gonna search their house?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh please, are you comparing saying no to parents to saying no to your boss? Really? It's even further away than comparing it to sexual harrasment. You think Marner wanted to make a list of players for Babcock too, right?

And why are you putting up strawmen like Babcock is suddenly gonna search their house?

You would give your boss your personal property to search? Your phone is no different than any personal belongings you have no matter where they are. Comparing it to sexual harassment is the strawman. What is so absolutely terrible that he asked a player to make a list? Not nice, sure! Jerky to then share with the team, absolutely! But also not some massive fireable level offence either.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
You would give your boss your personal property to search? Your phone is no different than any personal belongings you have no matter where they are. Comparing it to sexual harassment is the strawman. What is so absolutely terrible that he asked a player to make a list? Not nice, sure! Jerky to then share with the team, absolutely! But also not some massive fireable level offence either.

But that's not the point. If somebody actually wants to search phone illegally - he needs to go. It's not on a players to preserve their privacy - it's on employer to ensure nothing illegal happens to their employees. The fact that Babcock asked for that is enough to can him, regardless how players reacted. It is just like saying, if your getting robbed it is your choice to give your money or not, the person who is robbing maybe just politely asking and may accept a "no".

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
But that's not the point. If somebody actually wants to search phone illegally - he needs to go. It's not on a players to preserve their privacy - it's on employer to ensure nothing illegal happens to their employees. The fact that Babcock asked for that is enough to can him, regardless how players reacted. It is just like saying, if your getting robbed it is your choice to give your money or not, the person who is robbing maybe just politely asking and may accept a "no".

He didn't search their phone illegally though. They gave him their phones. He didn't find out where they were, and then sneakily take their phone without their consent.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Not a burger?

No, because he used to be a piece of shit. Sadly, there is no baby around to see that he's a piece of shit and can still change. So, he's going on being a piece of shit. All he needs is a baby to see him, know he's a piece of shit, and it will set him on a course of self-reflection.

If it was a burger, he was gonna get suspended for three games, not have to resign forever.

It was funny at first now it’s kinda creepy

Man... it's like the unhinged-ness of the Iron Sheik but without an iota of the charm.

Mike Babcock is worse than Michael Jackson. Commodore is going to do it to him old country way. Suplex him, put him in the camel clutch, break his f***in back, and make him humble.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Babcock is getting exactly what he deserves. I'm sorry some people feel he's being treated unfairly, but if you haven't learned the dynamics of abusing power after these last several years, I don't think you'll get it now. Or you're just fine with abuse of power, I don't know.

Ghouls like Babcock have historically gotten away with ghoulish behavior more often than not. It seems like they're maybe getting away with it less nowadays. That's a good thing, but change is hard, and so I kinda get this "cAnCeL cUlTuRe" vibe people have, but it's really just whining. Whining about people being held accountable and experiencing consequences.

Here's a tip, don't be a POS.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Babcock is getting exactly what he deserves. I'm sorry some people feel he's being treated unfairly, but if you haven't learned the dynamics of abusing power after these last several years, I don't think you'll get it now. Or you're just fine with abuse of power, I don't know.

Ghouls like Babcock have historically gotten away with ghoulish behavior more often than not. It seems like they're maybe getting away with it less nowadays. That's a good thing, but change is hard, and so I kinda get this "cAnCeL cUlTuRe" vibe people have, but it's really just whining. Whining about people being held accountable and experiencing consequences.

I don’t think anyone here is defending Babcock, are they?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I get that there should be repremand here, but I am not sure it should go straight to resignation here. Isn't there a middle ground? Maybe a right up/fine/warning telling Babcock, "don't do this again?"

Can't speak to this situation directly, we don't have all the details, and I have heard plenty on Babcock's history, but honest mistakes do happen were people are not trying to be abusive.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I get that there should be repremand here, but I am not sure it should go straight to resignation here. Isn't there a middle ground? Maybe a right up/fine/warning telling Babcock, "don't do this again?"

Can't speak to this situation directly, we don't have all the details, and I have heard plenty on Babcock's history, but honest mistakes do happen were people are not trying to be abusive.
Maybe he's just tired of getting piled on and realized the game he loves no longer exists.

I know it's impossible to build a bridge over the gap between "he's a dangerous monster!" and "people are babies nowadays" camps, but maybe MB got tired of being part of the whole effort.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

This guy has a long track record of this BS, at this point it's fairly well-documented. He's well past the point of being given the benefit of the doubt. He's been given second and third chances and blown them.

It was stupid for Columbus to bring him on, everyone knew what Babcock is, but pro sports are going to pro sport.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Maybe he's just tired of getting piled on and realized the game he loves no longer exists.

I know it's impossible to build a bridge over the gap between "he's a dangerous monster!" and "people are babies nowadays" camps, but maybe MB got tired of being part of the whole effort.
I have a very difficult time believing an egomaniac like Babcock is choosing all on his own to resign; it's not remotely the M.O. of that personality type. I'm sure he was forced out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

How is he not trying to be abusive? What is your case there?

The issue here is that what he chose to do exemplifies everything negative we have heard about him previously (and then it became public).

He thinks he is above the rules or that rules don’t apply to him.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This guy has a long track record of this BS, at this point it's fairly well-documented. He's well past the point of being given the benefit of the doubt. He's been given second and third chances and blown them.

It was stupid for Columbus to bring him on, everyone knew what Babcock is, but pro sports are going to pro sport.
I'll bring up the analogy I brought up in the main board thread when people kept bringing up that other coaches wouldn't have been fired/forced to resign for this.

It's no different than saying all these batters wouldn't have struck out for that swing. Well those other batters aren't sitting on an 0-2 count like Babs was.

This was nowhere remotely near his first offense.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

What I don't get is why people are defending him or think he's being treated unfairly? The comments I read on the mains that seem so detached from reality are calling our generation and below "soft" for not accepting the abuse of power.

It seems like it's mostly the people that think hazing rituals or creating a toxic work environment are OK. Just because someone did it to them they are think it's fine for others to go through the same thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad