Around the league XXIV: RyJo a Pred, Jones a Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
On the main board, I was putting together my list for top five most likely to win the Cup.... and I realized that I really only have a top four at this point.

1) Hawks
2) Kings
3) Caps
4) Stars

The Atlantic just leaves me with a lot of question marks. Florida's obviously riding high right now, but I'm viewing that more as a very, very good streak but not in line with them in reality. Think they'll come back to earth. Detroit's very good, but I wouldn't call them elite. And Montreal all depends on the status of Price. Teams have won before relying on a goalie to bail them out, but it's not a recipe I'd necessarily rely or expect on.

I'm just not feeling the Isles (my preseason team to come from the East) or the Rangers right now.

Nobody outside the Kings in the Pacific really impress me.

The Blues, Wild, and Preds are all potential dark horses, but not what I'd call favorites by any stretch of the imagination, even if any of them finish ahead of us in the standings.

So.... Hawks/Kings/Caps/Stars vs the field..... I'm betting against the field. A lot can change by April though, obviously.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
I can't see the Stars winning the cup unless they find a way to add a top paring D at the deadline.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I had the same answer. There are only 4 contenders this year as of right now, IMO. And I think Dallas is a step down too.

1a. Hawks
1b. Kings
3. Caps

4. Stars

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I had the same answer. There are only 4 contenders this year as of right now, IMO. And I think Dallas is a step down too.

1a. Hawks
1b. Kings
3. Caps

4. Stars

Agreed. Although I think there's no separation between any of the big three. Based on current rosters of course

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Dallas doesn't have a defenseman they can throw on the ice that will just absolutely shut you down. When was the last time a team won the Cup without a shut down defenseman? The Penguins? It happens very rarely.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Dallas doesn't have a defenseman they can throw on the ice that will just absolutely shut you down. When was the last time a team won the Cup without a shut down defenseman? The Penguins? It happens very rarely.

That Pens team was pretty good on defense. Gonchar was 4th in the Norris the year before (missed out on consideration in 09 because he was hurt during the season) and they had solid depth with Scuderi, Letang, and Orpik. I don't see that kind of quality on this year's Stars.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
That Pens team was pretty good on defense. Gonchar was 4th in the Norris the year before (missed out on consideration in 09 because he was hurt during the season) and they had solid depth with Scuderi, Letang, and Orpik. I don't see that kind of quality on this year's Stars.

Didn't remember Gonchar finishing that high.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Jimmy Hayes just scored a nice goal on Henrik, snapped of a quick wrist shot and blew it by him....it was in and out before Lundquist could react.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
JVR out 6-8 week with a broken foot. I don't give much credence that he is a Hawks target, but, if he is, the injury pretty much kills all hope.

Well i guess that narrows down Stan's trading field?

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
On the main board, I was putting together my list for top five most likely to win the Cup.... and I realized that I really only have a top four at this point.

1) Hawks
2) Kings
3) Caps
4) Stars

The Atlantic just leaves me with a lot of question marks. Florida's obviously riding high right now, but I'm viewing that more as a very, very good streak but not in line with them in reality. Think they'll come back to earth. Detroit's very good, but I wouldn't call them elite. And Montreal all depends on the status of Price. Teams have won before relying on a goalie to bail them out, but it's not a recipe I'd necessarily rely or expect on.

I'm just not feeling the Isles (my preseason team to come from the East) or the Rangers right now.

Nobody outside the Kings in the Pacific really impress me.

The Blues, Wild, and Preds are all potential dark horses, but not what I'd call favorites by any stretch of the imagination, even if any of them finish ahead of us in the standings.

So.... Hawks/Kings/Caps/Stars vs the field..... I'm betting against the field. A lot can change by April though, obviously.

Ovechkin will have spent all his energy in the RS, happens every year. Oshie a PO performer? not really. Any life will have to come from Williams, Backstrom and or others. But then again Trots is a good coach, maybe he changes things.

Looks like it will come down to Hawks and Kings...again. Or? who is healthy at the time? so much parity, look at the Rags last year? Didn't they win the President's trophy? any good team could be knocked off.

I pick the Hawks to repeat but yes i am biased, this team is star studded with so many clutch performers, BUT yes have to stay healthy and the majority has to come thru like last season.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Caps are legit.

Very deep, well coached, great goaltending.

Not sure they're quite as good all around as the Lightning were last year, but they will give whatever team comes out of the West a good run.

Last edited:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Hawks or Kings and are so far out in front, I'd probably take them over the field.

If had I had to pick a next three it would be the Canadiens, Preds, and Stars. I was holding out hope for Tampa to get it straightened out but the Stamkos and now Drouin drama has me skeptical about it getting turned around.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Caps are legit.

Very deep, well coached, great goaltending.

Not sure they're quite as good all around as the Lightning were last year, but they will give whatever team comes out of the West a good run.

FWIW, I agree. But I think they're better than Tampa Bay was last year. Think they'll be in the SCF and be a very tough out.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Disappointments so far this season...Habs, Rags, Bolts & Flames. I really expected these teams to play better than where their at but still plenty of time left.

Yeah Price has been out but when your club can't pot any goals it may not matter, Subban has 2 goals so far this season :amazed:

Surprises...at least for me are Stars, Caps, Panthers & B's. Playing better than i expected, again they could continue their pace or dip. I know some of you thought that the Ducks would be great but after those off season moves? no way.

All imo of course.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
FWIW, I agree. But I think they're better than Tampa Bay was last year. Think they'll be in the SCF and be a very tough out.

I mean, to break it down in simplest terms (IMO):

Forwards: Tampa=Washington
Defense: Tampa>Washington
Goaltending: Tampa<Washington

Style of play is the biggest differentiator for me, and I think the Lighting were playing better hockey last year than Washington is this year, even if Washington is racking up more wins in an Eastern Conference that's proven far weaker than many expected.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Lol Nucks fans chanting Lou, Lou........hard to forget after all those years.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I mean, to break it down in simplest terms (IMO):

Forwards: Tampa=Washington
Defense: Tampa>Washington
Goaltending: Tampa<Washington

Style of play is the biggest differentiator for me, and I think the Lighting were playing better hockey last year than Washington is this year, even if Washington is racking up more wins in an Eastern Conference that's proven far weaker than many expected.

Pretty much my thoughts JD...

Last seasons Bolts forwards i think are much stronger then present Caps are, size and speed, Killorn, Kucherov, Palat & Paquette as an example. Caps do not have a Hedman, when the series was over it was a sigh of relief, he was and is that good!

Bishop (was injured) & Vasilevskiy are comparable to Holtby.

Again all imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad