Around the League XXIII: Columbus fires Richards, hires Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Real dirty play by Buff. Trips Pomonville, then slams him into the boards while he was defenseless.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Real dirty play by Buff. Trips Pomonville, then slams him into the boards while he was defenseless.

I was watching that game, that was dumb. Some of you know that's my pet peeve, i really hate that, Everyday i hear many say it's hockey but i think it's bullcrap.

When i played (ages ago) i was clean and knew if i dished it out i would have to deal with it. Some years ago there was an incident here in N.E. IL where a player was paralyzed by another after a dangerous hit and that family supposedly filed suit.

Ever heard of responsibility?

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Thought it was the right call at first but looked at it again and that puck was in.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Agree with everyone here. Puck looked like it was in but nothing definitive that you can overturn. If it was called a goal on the ice it, it would have stood as well. Tough break.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I was watching that game, that was dumb. Some of you know that's my pet peeve, i really hate that, Everyday i hear many say it's hockey but i think it's bullcrap.

When i played (ages ago) i was clean and knew if i dished it out i would have to deal with it. Some years ago there was an incident here in N.E. IL where a player was paralyzed by another after a dangerous hit and that family supposedly filed suit.

Ever heard of responsibility?

Who's defending that hit?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
if I knew how to embed tweets into this I would, but I thought it looked in on replay.

Look at this

https://twitter.com/ReiterNathan/status/658495861924626432

That image is so blurry I just can't tell for sure. Certainly looks in, though.

Thought it was the right call at first but looked at it again and that puck was in.

Agree with everyone here. Puck looked like it was in but nothing definitive that you can overturn. If it was called a goal on the ice it, it would have stood as well. Tough break.
They can't use angles from the middle of the ice, because it causes an illusion that the puck went in. Called the Parallax Angle...

Tough to say if it went in or not because of that, so I agree with no goal call.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, I mean I still think it is, but the no goal call was made on the ice, and they had to stick with that. Was it the right call? I'm not sure. Did they make the right decision? Yes.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Paralax angle only is in play if the puck if off the ice surface is what I was told. There are multiple other posts and angles that show the puck was clearly in, including a goal line photo, and a vine from the SN feed.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Paralax angle only is in play if the puck if off the ice surface is what I was told. There are multiple other posts and angles that show the puck was clearly in, including a goal line photo, and a vine from the SN feed.

Looked like the puck was rolling to me, which may cause a parallax angle. That's probably a part of the reason why it was called off, too many unknowns.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

The Parallax angle can and does occur when the puck is on the ice as well.

The issue is that the paint for the lines on the ice are below the surface of the ice. I forget how much ice lies on top of the paint, but for the sake of argument, let's say there's an inch of ice over the paint.

Light slows down and 'bends' when it travels through ice, just as it does when it travels through water or glass. When viewed at an angle, the light bending through the ice can give the illusion that the line is in a different place than it actually is. Generally speaking, it practice, it usually leads to looking as through there is white space between the puck and the line, when in actuality a sliver of the puck is still on the red line.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Domi goes bar down on the PP in the first period in TOR. They showed his old man trying to hide that huge grin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad