Around the League Thread | The Season is Coming Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
A number of women did come forward and talk to the people who broke the story. However at this point none have wanted to come forward with their identity. They made it sound like a few have spoken to the police now, doubt anything comes of it as unfortunately it is very hard to prove after time passes like it has.
What a choice to have to make. It's understandable they'd choose to remain anonymous and try to move on rather than have a public identity they never wanted precede them everywhere.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
What a choice to have to make. It's understandable they'd choose to remain anonymous and try to move on rather than have a public identity they never wanted precede them everywhere.

I agree.

It’s a shame it’s so hard for the victims. I wish there was a better system for them.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Florida looks good this year. Zito's golden touch appears to be continuing.

They need to figure out a way to get Bobrovsky to develop an equipment allergy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Voynov pleaded out to domestic violence and he hasn’t sniffed the nhl since. Been like 5 years now. And he was a legit top 4 RHD.

I haven't read too deeply in it, but Voynov was an interesting case. Legally, I believe he pled no contest rather than pled guilty. He served his jail time then left for Russia. There would have been issues with deportation and visa issues there. His request to have his conviction dismissed was later granted in 2018, which presumably helps clear away the visa roadblocks.

Contractually, the Kings terminated his contract but continued to hold his rights until 2019 when his (terminated) contract would have ended. So before 2019, Voynov was not a free agent.

From the league perspective, he was first suspended indefinitely and that turned out to be an 82 game suspension. That suspension was reduced to 41 games by an arbitrator in 2019 due to time served.

So if Voynov does return to the NHL, he would have to serve his 41 game suspension. So both the player and the team would need to make a commitment to each other in order for it to make sense for both sides.

Obviously, Voynov's situation is a lot more complicated than Virtanen's situation where he just has a "criminal investigation" hanging over his head.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Anyone worth picking up from that waivers list?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Looking at hf and Leaf fans thought that RHD guy they waived is good enough to play in the NHL.

LOL the main board is always good for a laugh. So many homers.

BTW, I think that's now 5 players the Kraken have placed on waivers that they drafted. Really, a waste of 5 picks on AHL fodder. The one Kraken fan on the main board is such a homer that it wasn't worth my time to argue with.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

BTW, I think that's now 5 players the Kraken have placed on waivers that they drafted. Really, a waste of 5 picks on AHL fodder. The one Kraken fan on the main board is such a homer that it wasn't worth my time to argue with.

I mean, who would you have picked from the Canucks? AHL fodder is all some teams had to offer.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Seattle needs AHL players too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

?

Seattle took 30 players plus signed like 5 UFAs. They can only carry 23 players on their roster. Part of the expansion draft was also building a farm team for them.

Reactions: timw33

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
?

Seattle took 30 players plus signed like 5 UFAs. They can only carry 23 players on their roster. Part of the expansion draft was also building a farm team for them.

Well, I saw the expansion draft as a way to get better assets, not just to fill an AHL roster. You can easily do that with AHL signings and waiver wire pickups. I do acknowledge that some teams had nothing to offer though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well, I saw the expansion draft as a way to get better assets, not just to fill an AHL roster. You can easily do that with AHL signings and waiver wire pickups. I do acknowledge that some teams had nothing to offer though.

Yeah, some teams just have garbage. Nobody off our roster was going to be worth anything and same for several other teams.

It does seem like they should have been able to make a couple deals for draft picks and it's weird that that didn't happen, although maybe other GMs learned because literally every one of those transactions that Vegas made was a win for Vegas.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
Yeah, some teams just have garbage. Nobody off our roster was going to be worth anything and same for several other teams.

It does seem like they should have been able to make a couple deals for draft picks and it's weird that that didn't happen, although maybe other GMs learned because literally every one of those transactions that Vegas made was a win for Vegas.

For sure teams learned their lesson, no team did any pre-draft deals at all. But I just found some of Francis's moves strange.

It's more that he's building a middling team now, than have an absolute powerhouse in 3 years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
For sure teams learned their lesson, no team did any pre-draft deals at all. But I just found some of Francis's moves strange.

It's more that he's building a middling team now, than have an absolute powerhouse in 3 years.
I'm joking but either he didn't have the green light from ownership to spend (doubtful considering the amount of wealth they have) or Francis got the Carolina method of (lack of) spending so ingrained in his mind.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Schwartz was suspect and I feel like there were better alternatives to allocating that cap on Grubauer but I get why they did that one, at least.

Still lost on the Schwartz one

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Anyone know what happened to Brett Connelly? Was a solid player for Washington for a few years. Seemed to be just fine in his first season in Florida. Then his counting stats dropped off the map and he's cleared waivers twice. He's only 29.

I would trade for him at 50% retained.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Anyone know what happened to Brett Connelly? Was a solid player for Washington for a few years. Seemed to be just fine in his first season in Florida. Then his counting stats dropped off the map and he's cleared waivers twice. He's only 29.

I would trade for him at 50% retained.
Connelly for Myers

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Schwartz was suspect and I feel like there were better alternatives to allocating that cap on Grubauer but I get why they did that one, at least.

Still lost on the Schwartz one

Still don’t get why they just didn’t pay the Schwartz money to Danault who filled a bigger and more needed role.

Reactions: Peen

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
They won their cups because of their players and coaching being excellent.

The other stuff needs to be dealt with for sure but the one year ban shit is ridiculous to say the least or should Dach be loaned to another NHL for that year?

Most every NHL team will have some skeletons in their closest looking back with 2021 vision.
Um half their organization including players were covering up sex assault at the time- no way they deserved to win- they should have been suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad