Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-goalies can get a penalty for intentionally dislodging the net
-on a faceoff after icing, offensive zone centres can get a warning instead of immediately tossed
-if goalie gets pulled because of injury, the replacement getsa warm-up
-if a goalie loses their mask and play is blown dead, other team gets to choose which offensive zone dot to take face-off, regardless of where the play is blown
-new coaches challenge: if penalty is called for puck over glass, they can ask for a video review to prove it did hit something…this is only for when a penalty is called. Cannot be used to call a penalty on another team
-new coaches challenge: can challenge to show if a high-stick was caused by a teammate or own stick
-If a player refuses to play the puck off high-stick or hand-pass, non-offending team will get a faceoff one zone better than where the play occurs

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Apart from the fact that'd be a difference of like 2 seconds max, why wouldn't the trailing team just take the puck then?
Well if it's in their defensive zone and the team that doesn't want to touch the puck has good enough positioning to prevent a breakout play, then obviously there isn't an incentive to touch the puck if it's just going to result in a turnover.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Top goalie prospects are often expected to make a quick and easy jump to the NHL, and this just isn't usually the case. It does happen sometimes, but you also get the Jakob Markstrom types who take longer.

Just get rid of the puck over the glass penalty. Its a dumb penalty, and if anyone ever intentionally does it, the ref can just call a delay of game penalty.
I think they should just treat it like an icing. Quick drop of the puck, no line change for offending team. It’s weird you can intentionally ice a puck, but you can’t unintentionally put it over the glass in a certain part of the rink.

Reactions: I am toxic

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Dumbest rule in sports.

There are like 10 different ways to intentionally stop play and none of those are a penalty, but instead we punish players for accidentally stopping play. It's absurd.

And it was never even a problem in the first place other than the horde of ex-goalie colour guys HATED that the puck-over-glass thing was a penalty only on goalies ... so instead of getting rid of that dumb thing entirely they made it a stupid rule for everyone.
The implementation of the rule was a thinly veiled attempt to increase scoring for the US market by increasing average number of power plays. No one who watched the game before this rule ever would have thought that players were intentionally, and with any consistency, shooting the puck out on purpose to get a whistle.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
wonder if we could have had kuznetsov for the price carolina paid, or even straight across for kuzmenko. as in, is vancouver on his 10 team ntc?

and before the "tocchet would hate him" talk, rba is cut from the same cloth and he's off to a decent start there and looks pretty motivated.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This has always been a thing. Demko got a penalty for it a couple seasons ago. Weird.

it's the same as intentionally putting the puck over the glass. The delay of game penalty covered it if the refs had the balls to call it (they didn't). This is even worse though because intentional dislodging of the net gets called quite a bit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The implementation of the rule was a thinly veiled attempt to increase scoring for the US market by increasing average number of power plays. No one who watched the game before this rule ever would have thought that players were intentionally, and with any consistency, shooting the puck out on purpose to get a whistle.

The one guy who used to do this a lot in the 1990s was Steve Smith with Edmonton/Chicago. And because it wasn't a problem generally, Smith stood out.

In today's game with the no-change icing rules, players rarely even blatantly attempt to ice the puck. Generally it's missed passes and attempted curling shot clears that go for icing.

Reactions: andora and Hodgy

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I love how they found a way to adjust puck over the glass but not fix the LTIR bullshit.

There will be multiple teams the could ice a lineup that are over the cap (15 teams are currently looking to have a cap spend that is greater than the cap....including the canucks. though Poolman isn't coming back but if he did they'd be over). It is what it is and it's available for everyone to use. And honestly I'm really tired of hearing well if a guy is injured game 82 how can he play game 1? Well how can a guy injured and not able to play game 43 is able to play game 44? It's the same thing. And honestly with the gap between game 82 and the first series there is actually plenty of time for someone to actually heal.

Not to mention that there was a good interview with Chris Gear recently where he discusses how hard it is to actually exploit the system in the way people think it is being exploited. Players do have to be hurt and that is verified by the league. Kucherov had a surgery that could end his career if it goes wrong...that isn't a choice a player or team makes to avoid cap consequences (and he came back EARLY compared to others who had the surgery).

With all that said the league also has to balance fan excitement. Get rid of the LTIR or significantly change it and one of the biggest weeks of the year that everyone looks forward to (unless Benning is GM) becomes a non-event. The NHL loves the trade deadline for a reason. They love big deals at/around the trade deadline. It's exciting. Many deadline deals are only able to happen because of the LTIR. It will take a lot for the NHL to make any sort of major change things in that regard.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I love how they found a way to adjust puck over the glass but not fix the LTIR bullshit.

The simple answer to this, although it's not a question, is because LTIR is embedded within the CBA and would require negotiation between NHL and NHLPA while rule changes go to the competition committee. Two different avenues of discussion and approval.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There is pretty much no motivation to change it from GMs or the players, and it would have to happen in the next CBA. Right now it's in the rulebook. Use it or lose it.

Canucks used LTIR to great effect in 2011 to perfectly "time" the Edler and Salo injuries, and have them both in for the playoffs.

There will be multiple teams the could ice a lineup that are over the cap (15 teams are currently looking to have a cap spend that is greater than the cap....including the canucks. though Poolman isn't coming back but if he did they'd be over). It is what it is and it's available for everyone to use. And honestly I'm really tired of hearing well if a guy is injured game 82 how can he play game 1? Well how can a guy injured and not able to play game 43 is able to play game 44? It's the same thing. And honestly with the gap between game 82 and the first series there is actually plenty of time for someone to actually heal.

Not to mention that there was a good interview with Chris Gear recently where he discusses how hard it is to actually exploit the system in the way people think it is being exploited. Players do have to be hurt and that is verified by the league. Kucherov had a surgery that could end his career if it goes wrong...that isn't a choice a player or team makes to avoid cap consequences (and he came back EARLY compared to others who had the surgery).

With all that said the league also has to balance fan excitement. Get rid of the LTIR or significantly change it and one of the biggest weeks of the year that everyone looks forward to (unless Benning is GM) becomes a non-event. The NHL loves the trade deadline for a reason. They love big deals at/around the trade deadline. It's exciting. Many deadline deals are only able to happen because of the LTIR. It will take a lot for the NHL to make any sort of major change things in that regard.
100% spot on analysis here. Largely why I don't buy "LTIR is cheating" complaints.

Reactions: racerjoe

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
-If a player refuses to play the puck off high-stick or hand-pass, non-offending team will get a faceoff one zone better than where the play occurs

i think in that sentence "non-offending team" maybe means the team that originally hit the puck with a high stick? it must mean that if the "non-high sticking team" tries to runs the clock and forces the high sticking team to touch it for a whistle then the faceoff moves a zone in favour of the high sticking team.

at least that is the only way it makes sense to me.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

that is not how i remember it. it was a problem that dmen were ringing the puck high to make sure it either got out or worst case a faceoff,. the puck would then go into the bench or crowd and cause injury. there were also dmen who regularly did it straight out of play to get a whistle.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The simple answer to this, although it's not a question, is because LTIR is embedded within the CBA and would require negotiation between NHL and NHLPA while rule changes go to the competition committee. Two different avenues of discussion and approval.

i am not sure if addressing ltir is locked into the cba for playoff purposes because it has no salary implications. it would just be a playoff roster rule. you could introduce a playoff cap equivalent requiring teams to dress a cap equivalent compliant lineup in the playoffs and nobody is out of pocket. my suggestion is a 20 player game roster cap equal to the full 23 man regular season cap less 3 x buriable limit salaries. your game roster must comply with that number.

but i agree with tantalum. i think the truth is they like the tdl fan buzz, and they would not want to have players sitting in the playoffs due to cap.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i am not sure if addressing ltir is locked into the cba for playoff purposes because it has no salary implications. it would just be a playoff roster rule. you could introduce a playoff cap equivalent requiring teams to dress a cap equivalent compliant lineup in the playoffs and nobody is out of pocket. my suggestion is a 20 player game roster cap equal to the full 23 man regular season cap less 3 x buriable limit salaries. your game roster must comply with that number.

but i agree with tantalum. i think the truth is they like the tdl fan buzz, and they would not want to have players sitting in the playoffs due to cap.

You absolutely could not do any of this since anything that has to do with salary cap, players salaries, etc. directly falls under the CBA and would require negotiation with the NHLPA.

Reactions: bossram

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
that is not how i remember it. it was a problem that dmen were ringing the puck high to make sure it either got out or worst case a faceoff,. the puck would then go into the bench or crowd and cause injury. there were also dmen who regularly did it straight out of play to get a whistle.
I don't remember this at all. And in fact, I actually notice defensemen accidentally shooting the puck over the glass now, a lot more than before, because now there is a much larger delay as the refs deliberate as to whether the puck went off the boards or the other team before going out.

If a player deliberately didn't, and it was at all obvious, the ref could have just called a delay of game penalty.

Can you image a Stanley Cup being decided on a power play, in OT, as a result of one these penalties. I can only imagine the anger, and deservedly so.

EDIT: While I am ranting about bad NHL rule changes, they should absolutely get rid of the off side challenge. What a stupid rule.

Reactions: andora

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
All of the stuff mentioned by everyone regarding Wolf I basically agree with if we were talking about upl or Ingram or knight or whomever, even Levi I can see it being there.

I don't see it with wolf. I've watched him in the ahl too and it's impressive, he looks solid and fast and athletic, notably different.

Then I look at the shooters and qoc and watching his NHL games and I don't see it Translating, aside from the fact he looks smaller, he doesn't look extra fast. Nhl game is faster, lots of nhl goalies are fast and athletic, nhl quality shooters are going to find and pick the holes far more often.
Washington last night was going high as much as possible, more tape means more holes are going to be exposed/game planned over time.

I was wrong on byfield for sure, he's putting the tools in the toolbox, I'm fine with this take on wolf, do not see nhl starter.
The flames should trade markstrom and give the reins to wolf notion seems insane and premature.

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad