Around the League Thread | Marching to the Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So Bill Guerin goes from being under investigation by his own team, with multiple high level executives departing the organization, to being named the GM for Team USA for the upcoming Four Nations Cup.

Hockey, you never cease to amaze me.

Pffft. Hockey Canada says hold my beer.

Coaching staff: Coach Q, Babcock
GM: Stan Bowman
Ambassador: Jonathan Toews

Reactions: gsharpe

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

So pretty much, nothing changes and the song remains the same.

Sounds about right. This franchise has been a dumpster fire for almost two decades, but the NHL has committed too much to the bit to pull the plug. I don't think they'd be fussed about throwing bylaws and such out the window if they really wanted to force a move, here.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Sounds about right. This franchise has been a dumpster fire for almost two decades, but the NHL has committed too much to the bit to pull the plug. I don't think they'd be fussed about throwing bylaws and such out the window if they really wanted to force a move, here.
Eh, I do think that Bettman/the NHL are actually fed up with the Arizona fiasco now and certainly want to pull the plug on Meruelo. He's a snake-oil grifter and always has been. When Bettman lets some more candid comments slip, doesn't sound like he's very committed to them.

Meruelo's found the nice balance of grifting here. With Mullet's higher ticket prices than Glendale, he's actually pulling in some money for once. And getting revenue sharing. He can stiff his vendors and have ASU take care of arena maintenance/staff. Let's him make it work. No reason for him to put a bunch of his money into building a new area. He's not gonna give up this arrangement.

Last edited:

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

The Coyotes are the Duke Nukem Forever of the sports world.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Say what you want about his incompetence with signings and what not but Bill Guerin‘s Brock Faber trade may go down as best in franchise history

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

He is 100% done for the season and playoffs. Tampa is going to have over 10m in LTIR space. They don't have many assets to trade, though.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Say what you want about his incompetence with signings and what not but Bill Guerin‘s Brock Faber trade may go down as best in franchise history

It was a win-win trade. Fiala is a legit #1 winger who is actually carrying Kopitars ass right now . Faber is a top pairing defenseman that was never going to get the opportunity to shine in LA. Injuries to Spurgeon and Goligoski has helped Faber accumulate his insane minutes this season.

LA really f***ed up by trading Durzi for nothing.

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It was pretty much an easy decision to move Fiala. RFA with a year before UFA, but the Wild having to deal with $12-14 mill in dead cap from Suter/Parise buyouts, they were selling.

Eating up the rest of his 20's til that cap hit came off their books.

Was there a rumour that Brock Faber (in a Fox type move) was not looking to sign with LA? Potentially going ufa.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

He is 100% done for the season and playoffs. Tampa is going to have over 10m in LTIR space. They don't have many assets to trade, though.

A smart GM can use the LTIR to get some assets. It is a down year in the east. They are fine anyway.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Happy for Kuz, he did need a change, but if he goes superstar mode in Calgary you have to ask how Tocchet couldnt make it work here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goals in back-to-back games for Kuzmenko. But he's earning more than $5m this season and next.....so at that price, he's supposed to score goals.

Frankly, the Canucks need the cap space a lot more than they need an erratic winger like Kuzy.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Tocchet got it all kinds of wrong with him in my eyes but Tocchet has also gotten nearly everything else totally right so it’s hard to get too riled up over it when you’re looking at the bigger picture.
No coach is going to be perfect and Tocchet is trying to design a game plan that can win in the playoffs. Kuzmenko can sure finish though and when the games get tight, it can be guys like that who get you over the hump.
or they derail the whole thing and bury the team.
I did miss happy Kuzmenko through a lot of this season. He just looked bumbed, so it's nice to see him upbeat again. Quite the infectious personality.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I honestly don't think they're going to make the playoffs. Long Island seems to have finally got their shit together and Pittsburgh has five games in hand on them and only six points back. This year feels like a complete right off for them.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I honestly don't think they're going to make the playoffs. Long Island seems to have finally got their shit together and Pittsburgh has five games in hand on them and only six points back. This year feels like a complete right off for them.
Its occurrences like this that are going to expedite the Tanev trade, and increase his value.

He's going to get a 1st in return imo (so it won't be us)

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad