Around the League | Round 1: FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They do have great success with their 1st rounders, so that is something they are good at. That should be bare minimum for most NHL teams, but we all know that's not true, lol.

Great success but at no better rate than most. Before 2017 they were pretty below average for many years. Across 10 1sts they didn’t get anyone of significance.

Recent drafts have been much better with Harley and Johnston breaking out and Bourque having a very good AHL season.*

*I’m skeptical. I think there’s a good chance his season was driven by Stankoven.

Reactions: Bubbles

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I was there with my brother.

It didn’t matter how late it was gonna go. We were staying.

Was funny watching people sober up though since it went on forever.

I was there with my brother.

It didn’t matter how late it was gonna go. We were staying.

Was funny watching people sober up though since it went on forever.

You can say that again!

I ended up talking with the two guys beside me. Was a very pleasant time. Managed to catch the last bus home too.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Leafs make the WCF at least and probably the SCF in the canada division playoffs if Perry doesn't take out Tavares in the first period of game 1.

Who knows what the butterfly effect of that would have been. Do they win the cup that year? Do they get a confidence boost that makes their tin man team able to play in the playoffs like they do in the regular season instead of constantly choking?

Thankfully we'll never know and Treliving is doing a great job ensuring we never risk anything like that again in the near future.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Only player I’d want on my team from that leafs team would be Matthews. My goodness the leafs suck.

Would you rather:

Go through 8-9 years of what we went through.

Or go through 8 years of what the Leafs have gone through. I would lose my mind if I had all that star power and only have 1 playoff round win to show for it.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
The Tavares signing was the moment the Leafs rebuild went sideways. Can't be spending $11 mill on a C when they had Matthews and Kadri. If Tavares was a Dman, it would have made sense and likely get Marner at a lower number since he wouldn't be comparing his numbers to Tavares.
100%

Tavares is a 🤡

Reactions: Koolboss

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
100%

Tavares is a 🤡

So...you're saying Tavares is your archnemesis?
1605502364_338820

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
It's still funny to me that Tavares was all excited to come home and try to win a cup with his childhood team but still forced them to pay an absolute premium for his services, thereby immediately kneecapping any chance they might have had at competing

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Only player I’d want on my team from that leafs team would be Matthews. My goodness the leafs suck.

Would you rather:

Or go through 8 years of what the Leafs have gone through. I would lose my mind if I had all that star power and only have 1 playoff round win to show for it.
If not for Matthews I'd take Jimbo's dark years over the Groundhog Day humiliations Lesfs fans have gone through over the past decade. At least when your team sucks you can stop caring about winning and just enjoy the good amid the bad.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Would you rather:

Yeah it's an easy choice for me since the Leafs have won 1 playoff series since 2006.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If not for Matthews I'd take Jimbo's dark years over the Groundhog Day humiliations Lesfs fans have gone through over the past decade. At least when your team sucks you can stop caring about winning and just enjoy the good amid the bad.

Yeah it's an easy choice for me since the Leafs have won 1 playoff series since 2006.
I really don’t think I could take watching a team go through that as a fan. Same with Buffalo and the 13 years (and likely counting) of no playoff appearances and a bunch of wasted talent. At least Buffalo has the future to be excited about. Leafs have nothing to be excited about unless McDavid decides to go home.

I’m curious as to what Leafs decide to do. They have to fire Keefe and Shanabad like asap. Ditch Tavares and Marner for whatever you can get. Maybe trade Matthews and get a massive haul that can kickstart a retool/rebuild, because the core 4 and Reilly have been a failure.

To quote Einstein, “insanity is trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results”. Lol certainly applies to the leafs

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York

Would you rather:

It was technically 1 measly series win, in what was really only 7 tries... as they failed to actually qualify for the PO's in the bubble.

They failed to qualify against a team led by PLD. lol, f***in losers

Reactions: Flik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Tavares contract is an anchor starting with this past season but Tavares had been a very good player on a good team for 5 years prior to that, and was overpaid by maybe $2 million.

It isn't what has caused Toronto to fail. Dallas is competitive as hell with the worse Seguin contract.

And just further to that, I don't really think the 'big 4' is the biggest problem either.

Biggest problem is coaching. I don't think Keefe is 'the worst' coach in the league or anything but he's middling at best and below-average at worst and isn't a guy who can coach the sort of structure into teams that wins in the playoffs. And this is doubly important on a team built around skill players which has consistently been iffy/lacking in terms of goaltending/blueline personnel.

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad