Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Never forget Oilers fans trying to gaslight us all into believing that Ceci is actually a good d-man and real top 4 guy and that the Leafs f***ed up letting him go. That Nurse contract is also garbage juice

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Nucks really gotta figure out this Cole issue. He is worse than Brodie at this point.
It's nuts! All season he's been solid and was great against the predators. Now he's basically been responsible for two direct goals and mostly to blame for 2 others.
Juullson was actually really good all season but throwing him in cold with one game the past two months isn't exactly ideal.
Surely to God the bad luck can't continue.

Reactions: TMLife17

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Not going to lie should Edmonton bomb out in the second round, trying to pre-plan cap space to make a hard pitch at McDavid wouldn’t be a bad idea.
I've always thought that he would e a leaf if he leaves the oilers but can the leafs really afford AM, CM, WN and not suffer from the same depth issues?

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
At least it would be at a cheaper rate than Marner.

You will be complaining about Max soon enough when he gets a extension. Then we will hear how can we get rid of that contract. Happens all the time....some are just never happy

No, like I said Max can’t carry a team, despite his efforts. As we’ve seen, the Leafs “stars” have shown no indication that they will be good in the playoffs.
Lets just pack it in and go back to the days we miss the playoffs constantly

Everyone was happy then

It takes more then our stars to win in the playoffs.....Our D is bad....even our best D in Reilly is pathetic playing D. And when is the last time we had a goalie? You know the guys that win playoff games?

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Toughness is about being able to play through physicality. Not dish it out. Sure, dishing it out looks good and gets fans riled up, but in reality if you cannot play through the physical play, you are never going to win. It is one thing to try, it is another to avoid it altogether (Marner the entire series). He is the main problem (considering impact to the team etc.), but not the only one. Timmy has a problem with this as well.

Regardless, outhitting while looking cool isn't really what toughness is all about.
So professional hockey players playing 82 games and playoffs are not tough?

You have no idea how tough Mathews or Nylander or their likes are. No idea. Just because they dont push back after the whistle is not what makes you tough.

The Bruins won 1 cup in 15 yrs in having one of the most talented teams in the NHL in that time.
Were they tough only one year?

My God....this Don Cherry thinking is pathetic.

We got more grit this year and failed again. Guess those guys werent tough enough.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Avs outhit the stars....they are down in the series

Canes out hit the Rangers....Canes are down 3-1

Alot of teams have been out hit in the playoffs but still continue to win.

Interesting....we got more grit and hits and failed again.

Maybe its more about the goalies.....hmmm....or scoring goals.....special teams.

I looked at Kane ...and he was laughing after that push over the bench. Was that worth a penalty?

Things that make you go hmmmm.
Nucks outhit them 50-30 but I get your point can't get penalized but that Zadorov hit was100% legal and was called for what happened after, even tho the oilers bench literally held his stick keeping him from being able to disengage. The only actual call that was legit according to the book was the bench minor because like a puck over the glass etc, touching a player while sitting on the bench is an automatic penalty.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
You will be complaining about Max soon enough when he gets a extension. Then we will hear how can we get rid of that contract. Happens all the time....some are just never happy

Lets just pack it in and go back to the days we miss the playoffs constantly

Everyone was happy then

It takes more then our stars to win in the playoffs.....Our D is bad....even our best D in Reilly is pathetic playing D. And when is the last time we had a goalie? You know the guys that win playoff games?

Still cheaper than what Marner brings. It's time to change the make up of the team.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Still cheaper than what Marner brings. It's time to change the make up of the team.

I like Marner....and its probably for a change with him....but please....dont compare Max to Marner. Teams got tired of Max and his disapearance act. Now all of a sudden he is the golden boy....like Reilly was in the playoffs off last year. And what did Reilly do this playoff?

Always the flavor of the day in leaf land.

How did all that grit we got for the playoffs work out for us?

And dont get me wrong...I like Domi....not as a top 6 tho. He doesnt drive the line. Mathews did
Max was a nice add and filled in nicely for a bit. But lets not get carred away with what he offers.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

Never forget Oilers fans trying to gaslight us all into believing that Ceci is actually a good d-man and real top 4 guy and that the Leafs f***ed up letting him go. That Nurse contract is also garbage juice

Who would of thought....goaltending and defence wins in the playoffs where the goons roam and the stars get punished while the refs have a different set of rules then regular season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I like Marner....and its probably for a change with him....but please....dont compare Max to Marner. Teams got tired of Max and his disapearance act. Now all of a sudden he is the golden boy....like Reilly was in the playoffs off last year. And what did Reilly do this playoff?

And dont get me wrong...I like Domi....not as a top 6 tho. He doesnt drive the line. Mathews did
Max was a nice add and filled in nicely for a bit. But lets not get carred away with what he offers.
That grit almost won us the series. Think about it. Matthews out for 2 games and not close to 100% for gam 7. Willy misses first 3 games. Tavares gets a goal and an assist and Marner barely showed up.

Reactions: Jmo89

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Even so, I might be up for a reasonable extension. It's better than ponying up large for similar results or worse.

Marner is completely f***ing useless in April. He drives f*** all once the cheques stop coming in. At least he didn't post a picture of himself heading to the cottage this year.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
I like how Zadorov got fined but Bennett escaped without any discipline lol

And why didn't McDavid get fined for the slash that started everything?
The department of safety functions like a computer program.

Soucy's play is similar to Rielly's end of the game hit and Perron. Any hit to the head after the whistle would be a 6 games (5 games if lenient). So that would be 2-3 for Soucy.

We saw Bennet's sneaky hits to the head (including numerous that knocked Knies out last year). They don't get suspended because those were sneaky. If the Leafs had advanced our players would have gotten knocked out instead of Marchand, who were the king of sneaky hits as well (remember how he injured Liljegren?)

So at least, the department of safety has been consistent in these cases. Whether it makes common sense or not, well we all know it doesn't.

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Just seeing that second Florida goal last night against Boston.. How the f*** was that NOT goalie interference? Hate the Bruins and want Florida to win, but that was straight bullshit. lmao

Reactions: ToneDog

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Just seeing that second Florida goal last night against Boston? How the f*** was that NOT goalie interference? Hate the Bruins and want Florida to win, but that was straight bullshit. lmao

Yeah, it should have been...Montgomery wasn't happy and I understand...maybe the reviewer(s) were simply looking at the other Florida player standing there and not at Bennett shoving Coyle into Swayman, lol

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Just seeing that second Florida goal last night against Boston.. How the f*** was that NOT goalie interference? Hate the Bruins and want Florida to win, but that was straight bullshit. lmao

On a positive note, it's nice to see Boston get screwed on goalie interference.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Neither does Marner. I don't think anyone wants Domi because he's as good as Marner. They want him because he's going to cost 1/3 of Marner does with 60-70% of the production and equal or better playoff numbers.

As for year over year results... A 4M player having a bad playoffs is much easier for the team to compensate for than having an 11-12M player consistently no-show.

Reactions: Madap

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So professional hockey players playing 82 games and playoffs are not tough?

You have no idea how tough Mathews or Nylander or their likes are. No idea. Just because they dont push back after the whistle is not what makes you tough.

The Bruins won 1 cup in 15 yrs in having one of the most talented teams in the NHL in that time.
Were they tough only one year?

My God....this Don Cherry thinking is pathetic.

We got more grit this year and failed again. Guess those guys werent tough enough.
What in the hell are you talking about?

I was specifically talking about playing through physical play along the boards and contested areas especially in the front of the net, and being able to come out of it with the puck and being able to generate offence.

Were you replying to someone else? My comments had nothing to do with after the whistle stuff, or fighting or any of that. Maybe take another read? And yea, I can say with certainty our current core are not able to do what I just described.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I know we have some clowns in the Toronto Media, but it's hard to beat guys like Jim Matheson and Mark Spector. The latter is especially awful given how he wrote an entire article on Vancouver crying about the refs after game 2, only to bitch and moan about them last night.

You can probably throw Terry Jones in there as well

Reactions: WillNy29

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018

what these charts tell me is Draisatl is better than McDavid in the playoffs lol.

Also that outside of Game 2 McDavid's impact has been negligible. The biggest issues for the oilers are they have a brain dead dman making 9.5m, they cant play 5-on-5 and their goalie is a sieve.

Reactions: Cleetus

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Neither does Marner. I don't think anyone wants Domi because he's as good as Marner. They want him because he's going to cost 1/3 of Marner does with 60-70% of the production and equal or better playoff numbers.

As for year over year results... A 4M player having a bad playoffs is much easier for the team to compensate for than having an 11-12M player consistently no-show.

And it's not like Marner will suddenly turn it on in the playoffs after he signs his next contract. Can he improve his playoff stats? Maybe, but he's not given any indication so far.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad