Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Draisaitl had a fairly better pre-contract year then marner

Draisaitl came I think 8th in scoring in 2017 with 77 in 82 and 10th in ppg

Marner comes 11th in scoring in 2019 with 94 in 82 and 15th in ppg

Draisaitl had an incredible 2017 playoffs with 16 pts in 13 games and led the oilers to R2 Game 7 in WCSF

Marner had 4 pts in 7 games in playoffs in 2019. His career playoff numbers were 17 pts in 20 games

Draisaitl was a 3rd OA pick and a player projected to be a big bodied center with elite offensive game

Marner was a 4th OA pick who was a small skzed but shifty winger with elite game

Both played in CAD markets, so no tax impact excuses really

Draisaitl signed for 8.5M x 8 in Aug 16 2017 or 11.33% of salary cap

Marner signed for 10.893M x 6 or 13.38% of salary cap

Marner adjusted for term got closer to 15% of cap vs 11.33% for Draisaitl

Marner got ridicously overpaid against all comparables. Draisaitl, Barkov, Eichel, Rantanen, Aho etc

I'd like to argue your points ...

But I watch quite a few Oilers games being out west.

So I'll just move along ...

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Draisaitl had a fairly better pre-contract year then marner

Draisaitl came I think 8th in scoring in 2017 with 77 in 82 and 10th in ppg

Marner comes 11th in scoring in 2019 with 94 in 82 and 15th in ppg

Draisaitl had an incredible 2017 playoffs with 16 pts in 13 games and led the oilers to R2 Game 7 in WCSF

Marner had 4 pts in 7 games in playoffs in 2019. His career playoff numbers were 17 pts in 20 games

Draisaitl was a 3rd OA pick and a player projected to be a big bodied center with elite offensive game

Marner was a 4th OA pick who was a small skzed but shifty winger with elite game

Both played in CAD markets, so no tax impact excuses really

Draisaitl signed for 8.5M x 8 in Aug 16 2017 or 11.33% of salary cap

Marner signed for 10.893M x 6 or 13.38% of salary cap

Marner adjusted for term got closer to 15% of cap vs 11.33% for Draisaitl

Marner got ridicously overpaid against all comparables. Draisaitl, Barkov, Eichel, Rantanen, Aho etc

Drai had a terrible 2 years prior Marner had like 210 pts.

Drai was seen as an over pay at the time. He killed it.

Marner absolutely was about 1.5 million overpaid. He lived up to it pretty much. But should have been about 9.25 plus the bonuses he was owed.

Eichel was the over paid one.

Draisaitl had 51 pts in 72 games in 2016 his first full season in the NHL

Or a 58 pt pace per 82 for the 2nd worst team in the NHL

Marner had 61 in 77 or 65 pts per 82 in a much better team than 2016 oilers were and then 69 pts in 82 in 2018 on much better team than 2016 oilers (fringe playoff team in 2017 and then 105 pt team which was 7th most in the league in 2018)

Marner was fortunate to get sent down in 2015-2016 otherwise his ppg would tank and he would have been signed off a 69 pt year similar to nylander (61 pt year for him in 2018)

Draisaitl had oilers burn a hear of his ELC in 2014-2015 for some dumb reason playing him 37 games when he wasnt NHL ready, which marner never had to do

You are not owed a single $ as an unproven rookie. Marner wasnt owed any bonuses.

He was worth at max 9M x 8 years

He got 3-4M overpaid when factoring term of 6 years

drai had no where near the resume Marner did at the time. He clearly is a better player and I would have traded them in a second.

But that’s not at the time of the deal. These are facts

Marner relented on performance bonuses because Lou said he didn’t give them. Then turned around and gave them to Matty. Willy and Matty got them. Marner didn’t.

He had every right to ask for the money he would have earned. That wasn’t fair.

Even with that money. He was still about 1.5 million overpaid. He did well

95 pt player. 2x first team all star. Selke nominee. He lived up to the contract.

Still should have been about 9.5 factoring in bonuses and 210 pts in ELC.

They arent facts they are literally your opinion

Your ignoring context behind marners ELC and just stating 210 pts vs 137 for Draisaitl

Marner had 0 + 61 + 69 if your comparing their direct seasons. He had 130 pts in his 3 years post draft vs 137 in 3 for draisaitl

If your looking at body of ELC Matthews looked pretty overpaid with 69 + 63 pts in his first two seasons only

Maybe 9.5M x 8 may have been fine. 500K-1M overpayment that he could hopefully grow into

9.5 x 6 is still way to much for a winger who showed to be a poor playoff player already in 2019 prior to his signing

Nylander and Marner both have higher ELC ppg numbers due to not playing in 2015 (nylander) and 2016 teams much (nylander played 22 games and marner 0)

They and Matthews all joined the leafs at the right time.

People don’t get paid for context. Comparables are comparables. You aren’t looking at the right things.
Goals and points both total and per game lead to contracts.

That’s the formula. It was proven. We went over this ad nauseum

Drai was a year older than Marner. He came to the NHL at 19 just like him.

Marner had a lot more points and goals even.
Comparing Matthews is missing the point.

This is not true. Since 1995-1996

Matthews was top 10 in goals goals per game points points per game as an ELC.

He was 2nd in goals behind ovy. He got what he was worth. 14% x5 was fair for him based on comparables. (Malkin, Crosby,Nash, Kovy got more).

Facts are facts. There are charts. Context is silly. Arbitration hearings don’t use context

Draisaitl played his D+1 not his D+2. Age doesnt matter its when you play post draft. There will always be age differences in drafts between different players. Marner got the advantage of not having to play his D+1 on a tanking horrible team like Draisaitl which is the only reason for better ELC numbers

That is the only reason for Marner having better ELC numbers in his D+2 and D+3 years vs Draisaitl in his D+1 & D+2 years

Matthews didnt have a season as good as either Draisatil or Marner 2017 and 2019

He got paid prematurely to 11.634 x 5 (signed after a super hot start in 2018-2019 which ended with 73 pts in 68 games) which he did have 3 years of living up to so his deal isnt as bad as Marners who had 1 year where be lived up to it (2021-2022)

Marner had advantages in team quality, line mate quality, league scoring level rising during his ELC, delayed ELC start.

It was the job of Dubas to negotiate and bring all this context to the table. He turned a blind eye, overpaid marmer by 3M and marner just continued to prove he isnt a guy you can build around

The handling of WN, MM, and AM contracts alone should have gotten Dubas fired

He gave them everything they wanted when all 3 had comparables signed to better deals.

Rantanen literally signed after that disgraceful of a contract at 9.25M x 6 (overpaid too compared to Draisaitl after Marner deal). Sakic threw the Marner deal out the water and signed the better and more promising player to a lower deal

Literally go back and read the thread and articles. Hockey reference. Goals points raw and per game.

Matthew was well within his comparables at 14% x 5 (Crosby. Malkin. Nash. Staal. Stamkos. Kovy).

Willy was around his comparables (gaudreau, forsberg, ehlers etc). His negotiation holf
Out was stupid but his contract was fair

Marner had a direct comparable at 9.25. Marner should have got that plus the ELC money he was owed.

He was still overpaid.

Facts are facts. Go back and read all the comparables. And posts and models.

Repeating draft plus 1 and context that has no bearing is irrelevant.
How does any one of these posts belong in the out of town thread can a Mod please move them to Marner thread
Thanks

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Low key jab if I ever saw one. He does this so well, hides his little moves
Same what he did last year with Knies, low ke shove

Back to back year causing concussions.

Reminds me a lot of Michael Peca, he used to pull these rabit shots

he should be suspended

wonder if / how the bruins get back at him

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
As much as I hate both teams, I like Florida more

Barkov is a beauty. I can't see anyone hating that guy. He's truly modern day Sundin
Verghaege another player I like along with Lundell

i like florida more than boston too but the only thing good i can say about florida is that they're not boston.

Reactions: fahad203

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
instead of cross checking coyle into goalie he should have sucker punched coyle with his left hand and had him fall off to the other side
Bennett is teaching the Bruins how to Bruin.
1715561529563.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad