Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
WTF, FLA? TOR extended their series with BOS to seven games and put a decent physical beating on that team. This was supposed to be a slaughter! :(

I'm sure FLA will still win the series.
I hope so. I really don't want Boston to go to the finals and then hear more excuses for our loss - "can't complain about losing to the team what went to the finals".

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Every team has those kinds of misses one way or another. Development isn't linear and our eyes being on the Leafs a lot like you said, it magnifies it a lot. Joshua was part of the Blues for 3 seasons and was also let go. Canucks grabbed him as a depth guy but kept improving to what he is now.

This is why I hope they don't let go players like Steeves or Lisowsky. They don't look like much now but you never know with a little bit of luck/development. But for every Joshua or Brazeau, there are like 100 that just don't turn into much.
Out of the guys that we've let go, Brazeau was the one that I thought was the weirdest. He had a good first year in the ECHL, and just a partial AHL year. He had shown some great offensive instincts and being a big guy.. well they take time. I don't get too worked up about players that slipped through our fingers, as we have plenty of talented young kids, and a limit of signed players... and well that past is the past, but given the number of kids out there that we gave up on, I think it's something that the organization to take a good look at. I think it always makes sense to see if you can be better in the future.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hope so. I really don't want Boston to go to the finals and then hear more excuses for our loss - "can't complain about losing to the team what went to the finals".
We've failed enough times, that it's simply the spot we need to make some changes. Whether management sees it that way or not, we shall find out.

Legitimately, this year is one we have more actual excuses than ever... Matthews sick, Marner ankle, Nylander migraines, Woll whatever happened to him... but at the end of the day, you need to perform... and enough is enough.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I look at it the other way. I delude myself into believing the Leafs would have made a run to the Finals if only..

Not really based on any reality, but it carries me through the summer

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We've failed enough times, that it's simply the spot we need to make some changes. Whether management sees it that way or not, we shall find out.

Legitimately, this year is one we have more actual excuses than ever... Matthews sick, Marner ankle, Nylander migraines, Woll whatever happened to him... but at the end of the day, you need to perform... and enough is enough.
Yup, We do have some legit excuses and if this was 5 years ago, they'd be more readily accepted. But like you said, enough is enough.
I look at it the other way. I delude myself into believing the Leafs would have made a run to the Finals if only..

Not really based on any reality, but it carries me through the summer
Not impossible. No other team is THAT good, if we got past Boston kept playing like we did in game 5/6 and added a healthy Matthews and Woll etc., that's a lot of if's but still, within the realm of possibility.

I really need to hear that Marner has been traded to get me through the summer, that would give me hope for the future. If instead we hear he's given a long term extension, I'm basically writing off the next decade.

Reactions: Jojalu

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

That's happened numerous times (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023) already.

The reality is TOR isn't that far off from making it to round three and possibly further, but changes are required. Smart management is recognizing that and making the necessary moves to get to the next level, not standing pat and hoping for a different outcome. Tampa has declined and TOR seems to be neck-and-neck with BOS right now, with Marchand getting older. FLA feels like a bad match-up to me for the Leafs.

Maybe I overrated FLA. I guess we'll see. Missing Bennett obviously didn't help.

There's no way BOS is going to the SCF, though, unless Swayman pulls off the goaltending performance of the century. They looked pretty gassed toward the end of the TOR series.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
It's funny that you say "to be exact" after saying something that isn't true.

He didn't spend a "long time" in the AHL and ECHL with the Bruins. He spent the '21-'22 season split between the ECHL and the AHL (scoring at over a point-per-game in ECHL) then last year he played in the AHL and scored 18-goals. This year, he played in the NHL only.
It's funny you say something that isn't true. He played 49 games n the AHL this season, just 19 with the B's.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1715096782976.png

Talk about doubling down on mediocracy.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Talk about pouring even more salt on the wound.

Never had a 1st overall pick as the Coyotes. Move away, and then bam, 1st overall to the new team within a month.

Heck, now I really want this to happen! :D
It would be the same feeling Nordiques fans had when Colorado won the Cup the year of the move.

#allezlesnordiques

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad