Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Mike4Leafs4ever

Feb 22, 2020
That was only the second time in these playoffs a team has won with < 3 goals scored, so it's definitely not typical. Edmonton had also scored 17 goals in the previous 3 games

During this 11-game offensive ineptitude for the Leafs, they did win two games via 2-1 (game 6 vs TB and game 4 vs FLA). However, you're giving yourself little room for error when you can't reach the 3 goal mark, as we've clearly seen.

Goalies can be better, sure, but apparently asking for 3+ goals is too much for the second highest scoring team?
We win 2-1 with Woll. Just like we were saying.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A bullet from Morrissey. No holding on to the puck for 5 seconds, no 20 passes before a shot... Just boom.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Hellebuyck is amazing...Leafs need to get him at double the price to replace playoff sieve Samsonov...:sarcasm:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Even when you think you have a great goaltender, sometimes they just falter at the wrong time.

Georgiev outplaying him is pretty crazy.

Jets were tied with Florida for fewest total goals allowed in the regular season and have a Vezina finalist in net. Avalanche scored the most goals in the regular season to be fair but it’s still shocking just how ruthlessly they’ve taken apart Hellebuyck and the Jets.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
As hard as we are about our core, it could always be worse, we could be Winnipeg.

Back to back years of winning 1 playoff game after signing your core to 8 year extensions. The only reason they won a game this year was because Georgiev had one of the worst playoff performances of all time in game 1. This should be a sweep.

Their core didn't even show up and was happy with their 1 playoff win per year.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
This is why I don't really want the Leafs to trade or go out and sign a big name FA goalie or anything. Helly was great in the regular season and now he's been mediocre to bad in the playoffs. Goalies are unpredictable. Just stick with our own goalies that we spent time developing and lets see what they can do and we don't even have to pay them much right now too.

Also as great as Matthews is I'd much rather have MacKinnon on our team. Guy is just a game breaker with his speed that Matthews lacks. If Auston had even 75% of the speed that Mac or McDavid had, he'd be crazy dangerous.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I’m honestly shocked it’s the first time in NHL history. Would’ve thought for sure some playoff series in the 80s would’ve been a slobberknocker and had scores of like 6-5, 7-6 every game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
This is why I don't really want the Leafs to trade or go out and sign a big name FA goalie or anything. Helly was great in the regular season and now he's been mediocre to bad in the playoffs. Goalies are unpredictable. Just stick with our own goalies that we spent time developing and lets see what they can do and we don't even have to pay them much right now too.

Also as great as Matthews is I'd much rather have MacKinnon on our team. Guy is just a game breaker with his speed that Matthews lacks. If Auston had even 75% of the speed that Mac or McDavid had, he'd be crazy dangerous.
Hildebeast Woll solid combo

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Just goes to show that the final games down the stretch mean nothing at all. Winnipeg entered the playoffs on an 8-game winning streak while Colorado kinda stumbled.

Pretty easy to flip a switch for the playoffs when you're a good team.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So...one series was finally decided in the West while one series is still left to be decided in the East. Game 7s, where art thou?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
No greater failure than Winnipegs performance. Series should have gone 6 or 7.
Unfortunate matchup. WPG probably underperformed a little, but they were never beating COL in a series, not in my mind anyway. Goaltending for both teams was suspect, just COL has a more explosive offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad