Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
They improved their team as best as they could without spending a bunch of unrecoupable futures, and when age and injuries started catching up to the existing core, they prioritized the future and sold.
This is the best they could improve? Could they have realistically done worse? The asset in question is not recoupable - they tried with Guentz, all they had left, and couldn't do it.

This is what success looks like here: Improve competitiveness through dynamic teambuilding - a la Flyers and Isles - protect the downside by keeping both potential lottery picks this year and next in case the bottom falls out.

You're evaluating the performance play by play, shooting from the hip, Dubie style. That's not the standard GMs are held to, and why the Pens are in shambles and you're left trying to explain why failure was again unavoidable.

If we get a redo do we trade for EK again? No we don't, because it was a really bad idea and now Crosby is upset.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is the best they could improve? Could they have realistically done worse? The asset in question is not recoupable - they tried with Guentz, all they had left, and couldn't do it.

This is what success looks like here: Improve competitiveness through dynamic teambuilding - a la Flyers and Isles - protect the downside by keeping both potential lottery picks this year and next in case the bottom falls out.

You're evaluating the performance play by play, shooting from the hip, Dubie style. That's not the standard GMs are held to, and why the Pens are in shambles and you're left trying to explain why failure was again unavoidable.

If we get a redo do we trade for EK again? No we don't, because it was a really bad idea and now Crosby is upset.

Penguins are not in shambles because of their current GM.

They are in shambles because they are aging out, and their previous GM's hands are all over the NMC contracts for their ancient veterans.

If you want to argue their current GM hasn't done enough, maybe like "forcing players to waive their NMC's" which is the fantasy often stated wrt Tavares here, sure I agree. But of course that's fantasy not the NHL.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Penguins are not in shambles because of their current GM.

They are in shambles because they are aging out, and their previous GM's hands are all over the NMC contracts for their ancient veterans.

If you want to argue their current GM hasn't done enough, maybe like "forcing players to waive their NMC's" which is the fantasy often stated wrt Tavares here, sure I agree. But of course that's fantasy not the NHL.

They are in shambles from a GM perspective starting last offseason because they now have a potential lottery pick in the wind while on the precipice of a long rebuild, and the decision to move that pick was simply to acquire the best player available in spite of that player not being constructive to improving team needs - now confirmed by results.

Evaluating only from last offseason onwards, they have reduced both their ability to compete and rebuild the team significantly - the worst outcome possible as they have failed spectacularly on both fronts.

There is no good reason why they could not have noticeably enhanced competitiveness at the expense of the future, improved their ability to rebuild the team, or struck a balance by maintaining their most prized assets for the future while attempting to salvage near term success through dynamic teambuilding as other teams have done via good hockey sense.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
99 points with 12 games to go. Willie and Mitch deserve more money.

44 goals, he still has shot at 50 and improving on his 113 points last season.

I was surprised to see that Pasta has the most goals the last two seasons combined. Considering McDavids last season and Matthews current.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
44 goals, he still has shot at 50 and improving on his 113 points last season.

I was surprised to see that Pasta has the most goals the last two seasons combined. Considering McDavids last season and Matthews current.
Hyman and Willy crack the top 10 as well.

Those assists on McDavid:laugh:

1000017209.png

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ugh.
More coaches challenges to slow down the game.

I still say treat puck over the glass like an icing - defensive zone faceoff for the offending team, with no line change
Then puck over glass would be a strategy for a lot of d-men.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Of course they could have done worse. Could they have done better? Who knows. Probably, by sacrificing more futures. To outpace the age-related decline of their existing core and potential injuries to be competitive again, their only real chance was a big swing, and I'm not sure what other big swing options you think existed to both dump a ton of cap and get a player better than the reigning Norris winner; all for less than the cost of a 1st. And it's not like it was a rental. They still have the asset, and can recoup futures down the line, just as they did with Guentzel.
This is what success looks like here: Improve competitiveness through dynamic teambuilding - a la Flyers and Isles
I'm not sure what you think "dynamic teambuilding" means, but Pittsburgh didn't really have time to take the slow route if they were looking for a last shot with this core. Also not really sure what you're talking about when it comes to the Isles and Flyers. The Islanders haven't drafted in the 1st round since 2019. They missed the playoffs in 2021-2022 and then traded their 1st in the offseason for a defenseman. Philly missed the playoffs in 2020-2021 and then traded their 1st in the offseason for a defenseman. Worse, it was a 1st and a 2nd for Ristolainen of all players, after spending an additional 2nd and 7th to clear cap. You're really just highlighting how common this type of thing is.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kutch with 1 and 3 takes over scoring lead with 118 points (1.76 PPG). I see nobody is talking about Matty being the MVP and rightfully so. Kutch and MacKinnon have been the most consistent stars and one will win the Hart.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Kutch with 1 and 3 takes over scoring lead with 118 points (1.76 PPG). I see nobody is talking about Matty being the MVP and rightfully so. Kutch and MacKinnon have been the most consistent stars and one will win the Hart.

I'd say there are still anticipations for McJesus to pull it off. Very interesting scoring race.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd say there are still anticipations for McJesus to pull it off. Very interesting scoring race.
I doubt he wins it given how few goals he has scored this year. He's 10 points back of Kutch who is not slowing down. Hard to believe some still think Marner is the better player. LOL.

Kutch has 4, 100 point seasons and looks to break his high of 128. Easily would have had 100 the 2 COVID seasons. Marner is still looking for his first. If you look at the numbers, there is no comparison.

Reactions: Zero1

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I doubt he wins it given how few goals he has scored this year. He's 10 points back of Kutch who is not slowing down. Hard to believe some still think Marner is the better player. LOL.

Kutch has 4, 100 point seasons and looks to break his high of 128. Easily would have had 100 the 2 COVID seasons. Marner is still looking for his first. If you look at the numbers, there is no comparison.
I mistakenly thought Marner would become the best player in the playoff series last year and he once again couldn’t do it.

Reactions: Zero1 and ToneDog

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Marner has been pacing for a couple of 100-point seasons and he is elite on PK.

Clearly superior player worth 13M per year, especially if we ever want to see Matthews produce again. Plus as a bonus, you get playoff Mitch instead of Kutch.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and ULF_55

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Marner has been pacing for a couple of 100-point seasons and he is elite on PK.

Clearly superior player worth 13M per year, especially if we ever want to see Matthews produce again. Plus as a bonus, you get playoff Mitch instead of Kutch.
Whether he is deemed worth it or not, I am convinced Marner's negotiation will be an easy one -- 8 years, $100M total, for a hit of $12.5 million a year. Done.

Reactions: Menzinger

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Whether he is deemed worth it or not, I am convinced Marner's negotiation will be an easy one -- 8 years, $100M total, for a hit of $12.5 million a year. Done.

I bet you're right! Just strictly based on the internal pecking order, he'll get more than Styles, but not Matthews's money.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad