GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part II

Which first round series ends in a sweep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
qGuDA29.gif
Lol I wonder what he was saying to get suck bombed there.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Lol, poor Erik can't seem to turn in the required direction. Bet he could pull off a sweet Blue Steel as well.

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure Karlsson's playing through a groin injury.

Similar to Hedman, they'll be fine next year and beyond.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Does anyone here honestly think we couldn’t beat any of these western conference teams? With Tampa out we would have surely won the Cup if we squeezed into the wildcard.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Does anyone here honestly think we couldn’t beat any of these western conference teams? With Tampa out we would have surely won the Cup if we squeezed into the wildcard.
I agree. Some people are calling the Jackets the favourites now that they've swept the Bolts, and we've destroyed Colombus both times we played them this year. The Stanley Cup should be a piece of cake.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree. Some people are calling the Jackets the favourites now that they've swept the Bolts, and we've destroyed Colombus both times we played them this year. The Stanley Cup should be a piece of cake.

The Jackets didn't even look that good to me. I watched two periods last night and most of the time it looked like the Jackets were getting owned. Forget whether it was Stamkos or Kuch but stripped the puck from Jackets 3 times on one shift. Jackets didn't look solid defensively, they gave a lot of openings in this game. I still think the Jackets are not all that good and will be 2nd round fodder. Just amazing (well not really) how awful the Tampon Lightning were, they were just good for one period. (I didn't make that line up)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Jackets didn't even look that good to me. I watched two periods last night and most of the time it looked like the Jackets were getting owned. Forget whether it was Stamkos or Kuch but stripped the puck from Jackets 3 times on one shift. Jackets didn't look solid defensively, they gave a lot of openings in this game. I still think the Jackets are not all that good and will be 2nd round fodder. Just amazing (well not really) how awful the Tampon Lightning were, they were just good for one period. (I didn't make that line up)
Tampa put pressure on in the third other than that CBJ was winning the takeway and giveaway battle. CBJ also somehow was getting pressure a lot with just one guy going against 2.

Tampa just finally woke up and realized that they needed to do something.

CBJ biggest issue going forward will be their bottom pairing. Their big three played a lot and will get burned out if they continue playing 25+ minutes a night.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Jackets did not play their strongest game, they were definitely hanging on in the third. But they systematically took the Lightning apart in the previous two games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tampa put pressure on in the third other than that CBJ was winning the takeway and giveaway battle. CBJ also somehow was getting pressure a lot with just one guy going against 2.

Tampa just finally woke up and realized that they needed to do something.

CBJ biggest issue going forward will be their bottom pairing. Their big three played a lot and will get burned out if they continue playing 25+ minutes a night.

Tampa dominated all of the 2nd period I watched, and most of the third. I haven't watched much of the series though, and only to see the Lightning losing. So that I was actually frustrated seeing the Jacket get 2 a few in the 2nd period to tie the game. Didn't see the first period.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Jackets did not play their strongest game, they were definitely hanging on in the third. But they systematically took the Lightning apart in the previous two games.

Torts is a pretty good coach. I've always felt that opponents don't play the Lightning the most effective way. You have to be effective in NZ, have numbers back, but DON'T spend all day defending. The way to beat Tampa is to make them spend time in ownzone and to possess the puck. Tampa are better with the puck, than without it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Torts is a pretty good coach. I've always felt that opponents don't play the Lightning the most effective way. You have to be effective in NZ, have numbers back, but DON'T spend all day defending. The way to beat Tampa is to make them spend time in ownzone and to possess the puck. Tampa are better with the puck, than without it.
That's more or less what they did for the majority of the series. The Lightning had no answer for CBJ's forecheck.

Now I don't think they're going to surprise anyone again, but if they play that way against Boston or especially Toronto, they'll win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad