Around the league part 2

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The Wild didn't make the playoffs and we still hear about that trade.
Because what happens this year is irrelevant to the discussion - except that the Faber deal was designed to win "now" and has failed spectacularly.

Longterm the Kings were always going to lose that trade, but to lose it within a year? That's pretty damning stuff.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
The current bracketing/seeding system is terrible. Add to it the lack of re-seeding, and it just doesn't work. The winner of Dallas/Vegas gets the best team remaining as a reward, while the two worst teams remaining get to face each other. Winnipeg gone too early and some team that wouldn't have beat them gets a free ride to the WC final. It's just broken.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The current bracketing/seeding system is terrible. Add to it the lack of re-seeding, and it just doesn't work. The winner of Dallas/Vegas gets the best team remaining as a reward, while the two worst teams remaining get to face each other. Winnipeg gone too early and some team that wouldn't have beat them gets a free ride to the WC final. It's just broken.
I was just going to post about this. The reward for Dallas is to play the cup winners in the 1st round - and then the Avs.. that is just a nasty gauntlet for best conference record. Re-seeding would at least help a little. I read that a lot of fans complain about the arrangement, but that the GMs have no desire to change the current format.. was a quote from Buttman.. dont have a link.

Reactions: Fripp

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Which year did the seeding matchups change? Did everyone dislike the 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, etc.
It's still about trying to manufacture rivalries by forcing at least two division matchups every 1st round.

Of course, we've played Edmonton three years in a row but there is no rivalry because we play the p***yest brand of hockey in the NHL.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Saw an article the other day on the Athletic suggesting 8 divisions with 4 teams each. You could still do 1-8 in the Conferences for the playoffs. As long as there is true 1-8 for the playoffs, I'm good with anything. I mean true 1-8, no ranking divisions leaders 1,2,3 etc

This format is more about the regular season schedule and how many times you would play the other 3 teams in your division, the remaining divisions in your own conference, and the divisions in the other conference.

I'm sure this has been discussed in other corners on this board, but I only visit here usually

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
i hate the intra-division only playoff format. I hated it as a kid, and i hate it now that it's back.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
It's still about trying to manufacture rivalries by forcing at least two division matchups every 1st round.

Of course, we've played Edmonton three years in a row but there is no rivalry because we play the p***yest brand of hockey in the NHL.

I wish people wouldn't use that word to describe the Kings because those are some of my favorite things in the world and are actually useful and productive. Can we call them wimps instead?

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad