Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
signing him would be the opposite of a splash. Other than on sites like this (the hockey nerd community) he's got basically no name recognition outside of Carolina. We should absolutely take a run at him though. He'll likely cost materially less than Roy/Demelo/Tanev. If you are able to sign him AND Tanev, it would give us a ton of leverage with Hronek.

Hey now, anything is a splash in Utah!

But honestly, Utah has it good. Good young prospects, loads of picks, cap space to fill, and an owner who has money who actually has the city agreeing with him on arena plans.

Reactions: Lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
wow cryptkeeper throwing bombs

It is completely amazing to me that Campbell had his emails leaked showing him plainly trying to influence officiating, and specifically influencing officiating in favour of his son, and then continues in his role despite it being a massive conflict of interest, and has the league hand down the heaviest SCF suspension ever to Aaron Rome...and then it all gets forgotten and Campbell is somehow still in the exact same role almost a decade and a half later. And now the same shit is happening to favour his son again.

Mind blowing nepotism and corruption in the NHL FO.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It is completely amazing to me that Campbell had his emails leaked showing him plainly trying to influence officiating, and specifically influencing officiating in favour of his son, and then continues in his role despite it being a massive conflict of interest, and has the league hand down the heaviest SCF suspension ever to Aaron Rome...and then it all gets forgotten and Campbell is somehow still in the exact same role almost a decade and a half later. And now the same shit is happening to favour his son again.

Mind blowing nepotism and corruption in the NHL FO.

Gary Bettman : Every team had the same opportunity to draft and sign Gregory Campbell as a player, or even trade for him. And when he retired, every team had the same opportunity to get him into their organization. The notion that we as the league has any control over what team a person joins is outrageous and all these accusations are just fan theories.

Fans : But that's not our question!

Gary Bettman : I have great relationships with all our owners and I will be here for a long time!

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Hey now, anything is a splash in Utah!

But honestly, Utah has it good. Good young prospects, loads of picks, cap space to fill, and an owner who has money who actually has the city agreeing with him on arena plans.
I think the NHL will work there long term and it's probably a massively underrated city by a lot of people. It's a beautiful place in all season and i think it will be popular with the players (particularly if they have young families). It will be interesting to see if they build out the roster sensibly, or if they bring in a bunch of name guys. Chatfield at a two handle cap hit may give armchair GMs on this board semi stiffies, but he's not likely to get potential season ticket holders/corporate sponsors very excited.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
If an aging Chris Tanev is shutting down Mackinon, then how good is the Avs really ?

All these haughty Avs and Dallas fans coming by to the Edm Van thread to say they both suck is pretty funny. Vancouver swept Dallas last year. Different team I know. But the core is the same.

McKinnon 0 goal 1 assist -6 last 3 games
Rantannen 1 goals 0 assist -5 last 3 games
Makar 0 goal 0 assist -6 last 3 games

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Normally I have sympathy for players with substance abuse issues but after what happened in Seattle last year I have very little for Nichushkin.

This isn't a Zack Kassian situation where it's a nice guy and good teammate struggling with stuff. Johnson's response should tell anyone all they need to know.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If an aging Chris Tanev is shutting down Mackinon, then how good is the Avs really ?

All these haughty Avs and Dallas fans coming by to the Edm Van thread to say they both suck is pretty funny. Vancouver swept Dallas last year. Different team I know. But the core is the same.

G4 is the first game where I thought COL, by eye, looked like they just weren't in it (and obviously extenuating circumstances going on there).

Honestly I thought they were unlucky to not be up 2-1 going into G4.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Normally I have sympathy for players with substance abuse issues but after what happened in Seattle last year I have very little for Nichushkin.

This isn't a Zack Kassian situation where it's a nice guy and good teammate struggling with stuff. Johnson's response should tell anyone all they need to know.
Oh Zack Kassian was a nice guy was he ? That's sure not what I heard from ppl who went out on the town in Van and Edm.

Nuke is from Chelybinsk. It's rough up there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh Zack Kassian was a nice guy was he ? That's sure not what I heard from ppl who went out on the town in Van and Edm.

Nuke is from Chelybinsk. It's rough up there.

Kassian's teammates seemed to love the guy. I can't comment on what he was like when he was partying other than I'm pretty sure he was never busted with an unconscious sex trafficking victim in his hotel room.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Kassian's teammates seemed to love the guy. I can't comment on what he was like when he was partying other than I'm pretty sure he was never busted with an unconscious sex trafficking victim in his hotel room.

It's also a sad fact that most people when struggling with substance abuse hit low points where they treat everyone around them - strangers and loved ones alike - like garbage, at some point or another. And sometimes the damage that does is beyond repair. Whatever Nichushkin's issues are, I hope he gets through them, but it seems like he's burnt some serious bridges with his behaviour.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it is an odd thing that we have no problem judging someone who chooses to drink too much and then drives drunk and harms someone. even though no doubt their judgment was impaired at the time they made the fateful decision to drive we hold them fully morally accountable for the harm they do.

but we are just supposed to have compassion for addicts who do the same thing endlessly to people in their lives. i have some compassion for nichushkin destroying his own life. most likely he is not in rational control of the decisions he is making right now even if he thinks he is. but ultimately addicts do make initial choices that lead down the road to them not being in control and those choices cause harm and chaos to everyone around them and perpetuate their own illness and other harm in themselves and others. it bothers me that we treat it just as a medical condition now and pretend it is just the universe and they are helpless passengers.

so i have more compassion for someone like jack johnson dealing with the shit sandwich that an addict just handed him even if it's nothing compared to what nichushkin has done to himself. johnson gets off lightly compared to most victims of addicts but it still sucks to have what he has worked hard for upended.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Nuke had some lady friend with him that probably had an expired visa. So she made up a story about why her papers were gone. Nuke is hailed out and probably not a model citizen. But Kassian was far from a model citizen also.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
fwiw...

this is the guy who called the sens 1st round pick fine, the dorion firing, ottawa ownership finalization, etc. he clearly has legitimate sources in or related to the sens organization.

am i biased towards information predicting the downfall of the bruins? absolutely. but the above gives me hope lol.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
zack kassian seems like a great dude who has been very open all along about his struggles with losing his dad early in life, getting into some bad circles by being an ohl star in his hometown, etc.

bar stories in canadian markets have to be taken with a grain of salt these days. there are way too many morons who want to go niche viral by picking a fight with an "enforcer"

just because the canucks organization at the time was such an all-around disaster that they didn't have the capacity or resources to be there for a younger player doesn't mean he is a bad person. edmonton traded him because he was so loved that their moron gm gave him a ridiculous contract. guy still got a massive standing ovation from the crowd in game 3.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
fwiw...

this is the guy who called the sens 1st round pick fine, the dorion firing, ottawa ownership finalization, etc. he clearly has legitimate sources in or related to the sens organization.

am i biased towards information predicting the downfall of the bruins? absolutely. but the above gives me hope lol.

That's a shame, I was really hoping they could take the series to game 7, and maybe win just to shove it in Buttman's bald face and tell him to go eat a bag of dicks.

Reactions: bbud

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

Quite possible the issues with a certain player have had an impact as well

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm confused as to how this could've happened. I really thought he was doing well - new team, put up good numbers, turned on Konami code in playoffs and became a fan favorite. I thought this is going to be another inspiring redemption story added to the pile for future players to follow, should they run into similar troubles.

You think Avs' collapse this evening has something to do with this?
Definitely played a big part. Nuke is a massive piece of their puzzle and he’s once again leaving them during the playoffs. Probably a lot of emotions in that room right now, as Jack Johnson expressed. Think what Mack and others feel like.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I know I’m supposed to hate the bruins unquestionably but that play blown dead is one of the most egregious calls I’ve seen this playoffs . Holy f***ing hell

Reactions: I am toxic

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
fwiw...

Give me more

Definitely played a big part. Nuke is a massive piece of their puzzle and he’s once again leaving them during the playoffs. Probably a lot of emotions in that room right now, as Jack Johnson expressed. Think what Mack and others feel like.
I think the word you are looking for is betrayal

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
That's a shame, I was really hoping they could take the series to game 7, and maybe win just to shove it in Buttman's bald face and tell him to go eat a bag of dicks.

The Bruins winning is your idea of shoving it in Buttman's face? Lol, wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad